An inherited disease that causes increasing weakness in muscle tissue. If this happens in skeletal muscles as normal, it can be dehabilitating. If it happens in the heart, it's time to start day trading. MD usually happens in cycles of degeneration and regeneration of tissue, with the muscle tissue becomming more and more composed of scar tissue and fat as prime flesh is degraded away.

Muscular dystrophy comes in a few flavors, but the most common is Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy. It occurs once every 3,300 male births, and since it's on the X-chromosome, it strikes males almost exclusively. Symptoms begin to show after the first birthday: A child will start to walk with an abnormal gait, and has trouble getting up and lifting his knees, which prevents running. At the age of five, the calves are larger, and there is little or no knee-jerk reaction. Stairs become impossible, and by the time the boy reaches his teens, he can no longer walk. The disease spreads from the legs to the arms, then to the trunk, affecting respiration and the heart. Sufferers of Duchenne's rarely live to see 20.

There is currently no cure for the disease, although there are numerous treatments that include surgery, physical therapy, splints, and braces.

Thanks a lot to britannica.com for the info