Serves 6

You will need

Method

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a round, 2.5cm/1in larger than a 22-25cm/9-10in heavy based ovenproof frying pan, tarte tatin or shallow cake tin (not a loose based one) and that is about 3mm/1/8in thick; no thicker than 5mm/1/4in or it will not cook properly. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel, core and halve the apples and toss them in the lemon juice.
Using a spatula, spread the butter evenly into the frying pan, tarte tatin mould or cake tin. Sprinkle over the caster sugar in an even layer and then arrange the apple halves, cut side up, tightly together in the bottom of the pan.
Sprinkle the apples with the nutmeg and lemon rind. Cook over a high heat for about 15 minutes or until the apples are caramelised and light golden brown. Remove from the heat. Leave to cool a little, if time allows.
Lay the chilled pastry sheet over the top of the apples, tucking in the edges and turning them down so that when the tarte is turned out, the edges will create a rim that will hold in the caramel and apple juices. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the apples are completely tender but still holding their shape.
Leave the tarte in the tin for a minute or two, then loosen the edges with a round-bladed knife and invert on to a flat serving plate.
Rearrange any apples which have loosened back into place with a palette knife and leave to cool, if time allows. This enables all the juices to be reabsorbed and allows the caramel to set slightly because of the pectin in the apples.
Cut into slices and serve on slightly warmed plates with lashings of clotted cream. The tarte can also be reheated in the oven for about 15 minutes if you would like to serve it warm.