If you fine folks don’t mind, I’d like to take leave of my senses for just a little while and go on a rambling scrambling thought provoking twisting turning leaping thrilling spine tingling tear jerking action packed rollercoaster ride fun for the whole family tender poignant can’t miss adventuresome spoof that will put you on edge of your seat and cause me to fall from grace in the eyes of the reader narrative about some the exploits foist upon me in the year 2005.

Bet you can’t wait to read that huh?

Usually, I try to look at the so called big picture of things. I usually try and combine the element of time with a healthy dose of perspective so as not to get muddled down in the moment. Events, while they can occur in a split second, also have a way of evolving and taking on a while different meaning and certainly manage to take on a life of their own. Sure, it’s always nice to “capture the moment” but as the moment moves further and further away, it’s nice to look back and see what became of it, not of just what happened.

It’s only natural to get caught up in the moment. The camera that is your mind freezes or suspends time for just an instant or two and memories or words are captured and are placed in a sort of suspended animation. Whatever those exact words that were spoken or whatever the look on somebody’s face was and the feelings that were felt are all re-lived and seem as alive as if they just happened a moment earlier.

For me, it’s a tough call on whether that’s how to remember things or not. Distance and time changes everything.

By any stretch of my limited imagination, 2005 was a tough year for me. I attended two too many funerals and had three too many surgeries that left me at times bent and broken and bereft of any good will I might have had at the time. There were times, especially after the bills started to rolling in, that I wished that the miracle of modern medicine wasn’t available to me and that I’d been left on the operating table and that if my soul did in fact exist, it would take flight for greener pastures. I wanted to chuck it all, bury my head in the sand or run away and hide.

But then, my mind wanders away from the selfishness that is me and I think about other things like the smiles and the laughter and the pride and joy and all of the countless little things that I often take for granted everyday and somehow fail to notice.

And ya know what?

It’s good.

It’s all good.

I guess there’s an old saying in the movie business that says that the sequel is seldom or never as good as the original.

I’m hoping that next year will be an exception to that.