"All who surrender will be spared; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
-Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan is known to be one of history’s most feared rulers. He was a great leader, and his philosophies and strategies of war are still studied today. He and his raiders were from the steppe region, now know as Mongolia. One of his greatest accomplishments was to expand the legendary Mongolian Empire. Temujin was his name given to him at birth, Genghis Khan was an earned nomenclature. It is known that he was born in the 1160’s, but the exact date is unknown (approx. 1167). He was born into the Royal Borjigh clan of the Mongols and when he was nine Temujin’s father died from poison (a rival clan’s coup). The Royal Borjigh clan was then controlled by a rival family who sent Temujin’s family away from the clan. Although they were exiled and poor, Temujin was well liked and had a great personality.

After the rival clan captured his wife, Temujin asked an ally clan chief for help in the form of providing an army. Not only did the ally provide 20,000 solders, but he convinced a friend of Temujin’s to provide another army. Temujin then took those armies and succeeded in winning the battle against the clan who took his wife hostage. From there he became power hungry and began to destroy other clans. After his friends split from him, he conquered them. Most of the clans and peoples he conquered he made slaves and servants.

After conquering numerous clans, he was crowned Genghis Khan, which means “universal ruler.” Once he gained power over the the Mongols, his son eliminated their nomadic ways and started a feudal system. Genghis was now ready for world domination with the new Mongolia, for he also had such technologies as: catapults, spears, and burning oil. After conquering land near China, he turned his sights to capturing the large empire. Capturing China was no easy feat, for his army had to find a way around or over the Great Wall, which was specifically put there to stop such raids.

By the time Genghis Khan died he turned a nomadic state into a huge empire. One of Genghis's grandsons, Mongke took over as Khan (great leader) when Genghis died. Another of his grandsons Kublai Khan founded the Yuan dynasty in China. When he was done Genghis Khan’s armies had captured an empire that stretched across Asia, fromNorth Korea to Eastern Europe in the North, and from South China to Asia Minor in the South

Genghis Khan was a great leader and general. His effect on China was evident through the expansion during his reign. He truly exemplified a rags to riches story, and is still remembered as an amazing force.

Works Cited:
“Section 2: Dynastic Change.” Global Insights: People and Cultures. 1994

“Khan.” The New Encyclopedia Britannica. 1998

“Bios: Genghis Khan.” Bios: Genghis Khan. Available: http://despina.advanced.org/17120/data/bios/khan/

“Graphic maps: Asia.” World Atlas Online Available: http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/as.htm

“Genghis @ National Geographic”, National Geographic Online Available: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/genghis/index.html