The iMac is a consumer appliance. Well, not quite, it's a cross between a consumer appliance and a computer. Most technical users will not like the iMac, which is fine since it's not designed for them. Most technical users can't get over the concept that what they need in a computer isn't what everyone else needs, or that there just might be more than one market in the personal computer space. But whatever. The iMac is for the average consumer, like my 87 year old grandmother. The iMac is intended to be an appliance, although it's really a little too pricy and upgradeable to be one. But the idea is simple, a computer doesn't have to be a tool for serious technical work. It can be just another appliance, like a VCR. What do you do when your VCR breaks? You get a new one. Do you upgrade your VCR when newer fancier ones come out? No, you get a new one. Unforutnately Steve Jobs missed the price point to make a consumer appliance, but we'll get there one day. In the meantime, the iMac can still be upgraded, even though it's primary market never will upgrade it. Remember, the folks who buy an iMac want something that works. They don't want something that can have 17 different desktop environments, infinate themes, inconsistent behaviour, limitless upgrade paths with easy open cases, and super fast performance. And the fact that it looks different doesn't hurt either.