General Information:

North China was dominated by the Shang dynasty from approximately 1750 to 1050 BC. These dates can't be specifically confirmed, as contradicting histories have been kept in this time.

The Shang dynasty was "rediscovered" in 1903 by means of archaeology. The rise of the Shang dynasty marked the end of prehistoric times and started in the beginning of what is commonly known as the Bronze Age.

Craftsmanship:

Many features of the Shang period had their origins in the eastern Longshan culture, from which they learned how to craft jade. Bronze working in China seems to have been started in the Gansu Province in the west, where bronzes of crude workmanship dating from the 18th century BC have been found. Bronze, an alloy of copper and tin, was used for ritual vessels and for weapons and armor. These were primarily used to build dagger-axes, bows, arrows, armor, and helmets.

Wood, bone, and stone tools were still used by farmers and craftsmen.

Wealth:

Success in warfare enraged by Shang kings brought provitable plunder and tribute, in addition to captives who were used for slavery or human sacrifice.

Much of their power and wealth was due to their control of the bronze, but their culture rested on an agricultural base that was entirely Neolithic. Rice cultivation and the taming of water buffalo were among those practiced.

Society Features:

The new features of this period included a writing system, walled palace cities surrounded by walls, large tomb buildings, and administrative structure, system of measurement and calendar, kingship, organized ancestor worship, and the practice of human sacrifice.

Shang society was most likely clan-based, meaning each clan in various localities was dominated by its warrior nobility. The head of the royal clan was said to be descended from Shangdi, the lord of heaven. Upon death, a king went to join his great ancestor.

Cities:

The Shang capital city was moved several times, and some of these sites have been found. Zhengzhou, Bo, Panlongcheng, and Anyang are all probable sites, the last being the latest.

____________________________

The last Shang king, Di Zim, was defeated in battle sometime during the eleventh-century BC, and Zhou rule took over.