*My friend Arianna, who is decidedly obsessed with Oreos, sent me this fact sheet in a letter:


Did you know...

  • Since its first appearance in 1912, OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies have reigned supreme as being the number one selling cookie in America. Known as the King of Cookies, OREO has achieved its fame with the ability to appeal to all ages from 2 to 92.

  • Today's version is a neat 1 3/4 inches across - that's one, two or three bites, depending on how big your bite is!

  • Way back when OREO Cookies were in their infancy the design on the chocolate wafers was a thin, wreath-like affair, encircling the word OREO in the centers of the cookies. Later, the design of the wreath became more elaborate and OREO became enclosed in its own decorative circle. Today's version is more like a ring of posies surrounding the OREO enclosed by the symbol of Nabisco.

  • The creme filling used in one year could ice all the wedding cakes served in the United States for two years! That's 4,724,000 three-tier wedding cakes.

  • The 362 billion OREO cookies sold to date would fill up the world's largest freight train, consisting of 660 freight cars, over 62 times.

  • If every OREO cookie ever made were stacked on top of each other (over 362 billion), the pile would reach to the moon and back more than five times.

  • If placed side-by-side they would encircle the earth 381 times at the equator!

  • If all the OREO cookies sold to date were stacked on top of each other, the height of the stack would be equivalent to the height of 9.8 million Sears Towers. The Sears Tower is 1,454 feet tall.

  • If every OREO cookie eaten in a given year were dunked, cows would have to work overtime to produce the extra 42.2 million gallons of milk needed to accommodate the extra dunkers.
Crazy Arianna.