American black bear, (Ursus americanus)

The American black bear inhabits wooded and mountainous areas throughout most of North America. They grow to about 5 feet long and weigh from 125 to 400 pounds. They have small eyes, rounded ears, a long snout, a large body, and a short tail.

The shaggy hair on a bear can vary in color from white blonde through chocolate brown or jet black, but most black bears are indeed black or a darker shade of brown.

Bears are often thought of as hunters, but they're actually scavengers. They eat berries, nuts, grass, carrion, small animals, fish, and whatever else they can get their hands on, especially garbage. Most national parks have to have special bear-proof trash cans because of this.

In the winter, black bears hibernate, surviving off reserves of body fat stored up during the summer and fall. During periods of relatively warm weather, they may awaken and take short excursions outside.

Black bears reach breeding maturity at about 4 or 5 years of age, and breed every 2 to 3 years. Black bears breed in the spring, usually in May and June, but the embryos do not begin to develop until the mother settles down to hibernate. If food was scarce and the mother has not gained enough fat to sustain herself during hibernation as well as produce cubs, the embryos will not develop.

If you meet a black bear in the woods, do NOT run away. It will chase you and it is much faster than you are, I promise. Don't climb a tree. It can climb faster than you, too. Just hold still and it will get bored and leave you alone.


This has been a nodeshell rescue.