Samson was a Nazirite, a child specially dedicated to God's service. God gave him great strength, but made him pledge that his hair would never be cut with scissors. He became a shaggy young man with incredible physical strength, and helped deliver the Jews from the hegemony of the Philistines.

Samson was smitten with a Philistine woman named Delilah, and they were married. Several times, she begged Samson to tell her the secret of his strength, and he lied. Each time, she'd try the fake method for depriving him of his strength, and he'd end up having to kill a few more of her relatives during a futile assassination attempt. Still he stayed with her, and despite the fact that she kept trying to kill him she eventually persuaded him to tell her the truth. She lulled him to sleep and cut his hair.

The Philistines bound Samson, put his eyes out, and chained him to the central pillars of their temple during a festival, for taunting and torture. Samson implored God for another chance, and his strength returned long enough to bring the temple down on their heads. In his death he killed more Philistines than he had in his lifetime.

There are significant parallels between the Samson myth and the Enkidu myth. Also note the similarities to the phenomenon of the male orgasmic refractory period.

Samson's story has several subplots and complications. The whole things can be found in the book of Judges, chapters 13-16.