Some of the writeup above refer to things that do, in fact, move faster than light. Moreover, there's nothing wrong as far as physics is concerned.

In fact, there's a whole bunch of 'things' that are allowed to go faster than light, for example:

  • Marquee lights - like in Las Vegas, if you had a sufficiently large array of lightbulbs, you can make the 'moving lights' move faster than the speed of light to any arbitrary observer. Nothing is actually moving faster than the speed of light here, but if you calculate how fast an object would need to move to 'keep up' with the lightbulbs, it can be any arbitrary speed.
  • the intersection point in a pair of scissors, for instance - the point on a pair of scissors that do the cutting. If you take a sufficiently large pair of scissors, and close them sufficiently quickly, the movement of the point can move faster than the speed of light. Once again, there's nothing actually moving here.
  • phase changes - It's hard to see, but when something like water freezes, it's possible to observe the changing of liquid to solid moving accross medium. This phase change can move faster than light, but once again, nothing is actually moving faster than the speed of light, just the change in phase is moving.

As long as there are no 'particles' moving faster than the speed of light, and as long as there's no way you can use the moving thing to transmit information faster than the speed of light, a 'thing' can go faster than the speed of light.