Maslow in Macbeth

Maslow’s hierarchy of motives is shown in Macbeth as he progresses through the esteem needs of ambition and prestige, becoming closer to self-actualization.

Since Macbeth has already fulfilled his physiological, survival, and belonging needs, he now starts to satisfy his esteem needs, beginning with ambition and prestige. This is first shown in Act I when Macbeth realizes that all he has to make him murder Duncan is “vaulting ambition.” Throughout the play, Macbeth is continually pushed by his ambition as he tries to attain more prestige. This is what starts the chain of murders; Macbeth kills Duncan to get prestige and kills everyone else to keep his position of prestige.

As Macbeth progresses through the esteem needs, he is constantly becoming closer to self-actualization, which is at the top of Maslow’s pyramid of motives. Self-actualization is realizing the truth about oneself, and Macbeth reveals more of himself as he orders the bloody killings, showing him the cold and murderous side of himself. Also, the witches’ prophesies in Act IV show him that his children will not become kings, which tells Macbeth that he will be defeated. As the guilt and worries about being found out start to weigh more heavily on him, Macbeth gets more desperate and reveals his true character as cold-hearted and doing anything to remain powerful, yet still loving, as is shown in his attempts to cure Lady Macbeth. These personality processes are responsible for Macbeth’s behavior and help him reach his highest potential of self-actualization, but his weak, power-hungry self is not entirely what he expected.

Maslow’s theories are apparent throughout the development of Macbeth’s character in this play and help in the understanding of the psychology in Macbeth.