I imagine that Thalidomide had no effect on pregnant rats and their offspring. So, we had no way of knowing what would happen in humans. Turns out it's bad fetuses. No one intended the pregnant mothers in the case of thalidomide to be guinea pigs; no one knew the deformaties would happen. How could anyone have known? You wouldn't believe how hard it is to talk pregnant women into new drug testing. This, and other cases, has caused the FDA to swing to the side of extreme caution.

This caution results in the delay or denial of useful drugs to the US population. We have swung so far in the direction of protecting corporations and the FDA that we now have less effective drugs than most other countrires.

Case in point: There is a new treatment available in Canada which is much more effective than what we have here in the US in holding HIV and Hepatitus C at bay. It will likely be years before US Citizens have access to these medications.

I realize some of you will be saying "What does she mean - "protecting corporations and the FDA"? Well, while it seems that new drug approval is delayed here in order to protect consumers (and, indeed, this is probably 50% true), the other side of the story is that the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies do not want to be sued by the .004% of the population that might have a negative reaction to a drug that could save that other 99.996% of the population. The sad part is that the one person who sues can cause a medicine to be removed permanently from the market. Our litigative nature is harming us!

There must be a balance between protection and progress. I hope we find it some day.