Academic History:

Dr. Wolfowitz recieved a BA in Mathematics from Cornell University in 1965 and continued his studies in an effort to finish his doctorate in Political Science at the University of Chicago in 1972. Dr Wolfowitz taught at Yale University before working at The Johns Hopkins University. In 1993 he was appointed as the George F Kennan Professor of National Security Strategy at the National War College.

Government Service

Wolfowitz started his days as an intern at the Bureau of the Budget during 1966-7. Wolfowitz spent 1973-1977 working in the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency tackling issues like SALT. He left Arms Control and became Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Regional Programs at the Pentagon between 1977-1980. There he dealt with the establishing the United States Central Command and the Maritime Pre-positioning Ships, which would prove to be the backbone of Operation: Desert Storm. Wolfowitz was promoted to State Department Policy Planning staff in 1981 in the Reagan administration. Later in the Reagan years, he would become US ambassador to Indonesia. Under the first Bush administration, Wolfowitz was appointed as Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, reporting to Dick Cheney. He stayed at the post for the tenure of the Bush administration. With the Bill Clinton win of 1992, Wolfowitz left government and returned to academia.

Recent Contributions

For the past decade, Wolfowitz has been the Dean and Professor of International Relations at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies at The Johns Hopkins University. In 2001, George W. Bush brought Wolfowitz onboard as Deputy Secretary of Defense.