One of the other things that Prince George is renowned for (although it's not so well known to residents) are the mountain bike trails in and around the city. The trails inside the city, open to both cyclists and foot traffic, are a combination of dirt and pavement, and offer great views but more importantly aren't anywhere near as crowded as those in larger centers such as Vancouver's seawall. This means that cyclists have the opportunity to go fast and actually get some exercise instead of having to putter along in a lazy manner like the rest of the traffic on the trail.

The better trails include the slough, which runs through the center of the city and at one point there is a dirt trail cut into the side of a steep hill on one side of the slough, creating a narrow walkway with trees close in on both sides. This connects to the Cottonwood Park trail, which runs alongside the river between Fort George park and Cottonwood Island park, the latter of which is sometimes flooded in places in spring.

Also, there are many great uphill grinds, as the city is basically shaped like a bowl - most of it is in a depression around the river, surrounded by steep hills that lead to the surrounding plateau. Taking Ospika Boulevard from the base of the hill to UNBC or to the College Heights area means a good half hour or 45 minutes of hard climbing. The other three highway exits from town - north, south, and east, all provide similar climbs for the start of good long-distance rides on the surrounding high plain. Coming back into town on these hills provides a welcome end to the return from such a trip as well.

Another less tame trail that I can think of may not have a name, but it runs north west, just west of Ospika Boulevard from Cormack Crescent, across a stream, then down a nearly vertical drop into an open field. The trail ends at the west end of Massey drive, if I recall correctly. It's a truly great trail and the oddest part is how it's still in the city limits, yet feels very backwoods. This is much of the charm of Prince George, a city in the middle of the forest.