The Lord had two retainers summoned to him by name and under guard.

They were brought before the lord in chains and released in his presence.

He said, "Abase yourselves."

And as they comprehended the command, the first retainer fell on his face and tore his sekbad from his head. Renouncing the names of his lineage, he shattered the scabbard of his shams and used it to strike the mane from his head, and then broke its point on the first step of the first dais.

He pressed himself to the earth and fell silent.

All looked to the second retainer who drew his shams with two fingers, bowed twice to the lord, and severed the nail from his pinky finger. He removed his pinky ring and placed it on the first step of the second dais.

He returned to the floor and faced the lord.

The lord said, "Neither of you is guilty of anything."

There was silence.

"Why is it that you," he said to the second retainer, "Fear my wrath so little?"

The second retainer said, "If I gave the lord less than what he wished, he could always take the rest. If I gave what I did not need give, it would diminish my service to the lord afterwards."

The second retainer was bade retrieve the ring, and given honor for his wisdom.

The second retainer's cousin was the head of the guards.