Chosen by Motown producer Norman Whitfield, the future members of Rose Royce- bar vocalist Gwen Dickey- backed Edwin Starr (as Total Concept Limited), Yvonne Fair (as Magic Wand), Undisputed Truth and The Temptations. Centre stage was calling when they recruited Dickey and became Disco diamonds with the platinum-selling, Grammy-winning soundtrack of Car Wash (1976) and the hits 'Car Wash' (a US No.1), 'I Wanna Get Next To You' and 'I'm Going Down' (both 1977).

They mad an impression in Europe, too, with 'It Makes You Feel Like Dancing', 'Ooh Boy' and the sublime 'Wishing On A Star' from In Full Bloom (1977) and 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' from 1979's Rainbow Connection. But after the latter's splendid 'Is It Love You're After' and UK No.1 Greatest Hits (1980), they sank into the usual morass of personnel changes and minor sellers that customarily affect legends of yesteryear. Although they continue gigging and recording, their legacy is best represented by S'Express' sampling of 'Is It Love You're After' for 1988 Acid House monster 'Theme From S'Express' and covers of their classics, from Madonna's 1984 take on 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' to Mary J. Blige's 1994 revamp of 'I'm Going Down'. Their Rap respect led to Ice Cube's inclusion of 'I Wanna Get Next To You' in his Friday (1996) soundtrack and Jay-Z's 1997 resurrection of 'Wishing On A Star', co-starring Rose queen Gwen Dickey.