Soul II Soul made British Soul blossom fabulously. Founded by Philip 'Daddae' Harvey and Jazzie B and named after a Stax LP, they began as a sound system collective, fusing Reggae, Soul, Rap and Two-step at club nights and warehouse parties and on London pirate radio.

By 1988, they had settled around Jazzie and Massive Attack affiliate Nellee Hooper. They had a giant hit with 1989's wonderful 'Keep On Movin'', a showcase for the angelic vocals of Caron Wheeler and Jazzie and Nellee's rough but smooth production. In America, they were thought of as returning Soul to its roots; at home, they were hailed as innovatory.

They hit again with 'Back To Life (However Do You Want Me)' and the epic Club Classics Vol. 1 (1989), launched a fashion label and shops and became hip remixers/arrangers for Sinead O'Connor and The Family Stand. The absence of Wheeler weakened Vol. II 1990- A New Decade (1990); she returned for Vol. III- Just Right (1993), but Hooper had quit to become one of the 90s' best producers. The future looked bleak with 1995's underwhelming Vol. V- Believe, but 1997's Time For A Change confirmed Jazzie's status as Britain's black music bossman and his 'A happy face, a thumpin' and lovin' bass for a thumpin' and lovin' race' credo.