Bunnyhopping is also the name of a basic manouver on a bike which is important in bicycle trials. A bunnyhop is where you get both wheels off the ground at the same time. This is either done by shifting your weight and kicking your feet back or by using clipless pedals. This tutorial was written for those of us with flat pedals. If you have spuds and need a tutorial you should be seriously rethinking why you need to know this!

Now, if you've never seen it done before it may seem impossible (in my case it seemed impossible even after I saw it done), but don't worry, it can be done. A bunnyhop is made up of two moves - picking up the front of the bike by lifting the handlebars and lifting the back of the bike by kicking your feet back. Because it's much harder to lift the back of the bike it is preferrable to keep your weight shifted forward. It's also necessary to tilt you feet forward, on an angle a little shallower than this /. So, now what we have is a combination of shifting your weight forward then lifting the handlebars then kicking your feet back.

Still can't do it? Don't worry, this is completely normal. One way that can make it easier to learn is if you just concentrate on moving the back end without worrying about lifting the front wheel. Try getting waay over the handlebars and then tilting your feet and kicking back. If this still isn't working you could add a little bit of front brake, but this is getting into another move, the endo AKA the nosepick.

Now that you've mastered lifting the back wheel it's time to put it all together. Lift your front wheel as high as you can, shift your weight forward and then push the front end down while kicking you feet back. As you become more proficient try to minimize pushing the front down and also try to make it one fluid motion. Before long you should be able to do all this at once, making it look like you've got antigravity tires or something, and confusing all those suckers still trying to learn to bunnyhop. I bet you feel cooler now, don't you?