At some point in time, everything is impossible. You couldn't sail to China across the Atlantic, but guess who tried? Of course, he never actually made it there, was working off the wrong principles (thinking the earth a far smaller place), and died forgotten, but it's the effort that counts, right?

Man couldn't fly, but then these bright fellas built the first airplane. And quite a few must have ojected to even the possibility that we might routinely send stuff whirring about the planet, and actually put out very lives at stake for them to keep on whirring about, and I suppose they must have had good evidence for their opinions, for that is all that they were, opinions.

And what's around the corner, you may ask? Nanotech, quantum computers, a dozen things to brighten up the day and make our lives that wee bit better, perhaps even extend them to infinity, and that for sure is impossible, wouldn't you say?

The perfect descriptions of impossible:

1. Finding a description for anything which could be concieved as the catch-all and completely encompassing that which is being described.

2. The phrase "I always lie" (being that, if the statement were true, then the meaning of the sentence would be a lie -- indicating, of course, that the statement is true, etc.).

A skateboarding trick. Noteably an incredibly difficult skateboarding trick, hence the name impossible. Still, it is overshadowed in difficulty, technicality and style by its younger brother, the Front-Foot Impossible.

This trick requires a lot of speed and a lot of height, so do not attempt this until you can ollie high, handle speed, and are good.

First off, get your speed, and ollie when ready, your feet in their regular positions. There are several versions of the elusive impossible, so I will list the three most common methods:
1. With your back foot shove down hard, but only when you have enough height for the board to do a full flip, longways. If you don't have enough height you will land flat on your face, which isn't nice on concrete. Anyhow, by shoving down on the board this sends it into the longways flip. Once it comes back around catch it before it can keep flipping, or once again you'll be flat on your face. This is the easiest method.
2. This time use your front foot (this is still different from a front foot impossible) and shove down on the board once again, but spin it into a heelflip or a kickflip this time (usually easier to get more power by pushing down and out to start a heelflip rather than down and in). As before, you need alot of height, more actually. Once it comes back around catch it, but this time you also have to wait for it to finish its heelflip\s, so be careful.
3. Using your front foot once again, and shoving down once again, but this time getting the board into a pop shove it, usually a 360 shove it, though 180 shove its are a possibility. Once again you have two factors to watch for, the longways flip and the shove it, so watch your landing. This is the hardest method. An ever harder variation of this method is to do a 180 or 360 flip, this requires a ton of height, and you must shove down, heelflip\kickflip and shove it all at the same time.

The landing, at first, is impossible.

What is impossible?

Well let us first examine the root of the word.

An impossible thing, obviously, is simply
an ossible thing being led by an imp. See?

Why, there's that sly imp, right out in front....
Grunting and groaning and hauling and straining,
Ink-black face locked in a grimace.

Oh, imps lead all sorts of types around.
The atient, the ertinent, ious, ortant, and ulsive.
Even rinting their rimatur on ractical ressionists!!

And ossible? Sounds like a derivation,
Of the Latin root ossi-, which gives us
ossification.

Which is the process of things turning to bone.
(A most unpleasant sensation,
I don't recommend trying)

So here is how things will turn out in the end.
"An impossible thing" is one which could be bone
being led by an imp.

This must be very difficult for the imp,
leading a thing which could at any time be bone hard as stone,
An immovable object, equaled only by an unstoppable force.

Verily, it must be well nigh....
Unaccomplishable.

----

For the 2012 Horrorquest.

Im*pos"si*ble (?), a. [F., fr. L. impossibilis; pref. im- not + possibilis possible. See Possible.]

Not possible; incapable of being done, of existing, etc.; unattainable in the nature of things, or by means at command; insuperably difficult under the circumstances; absurd or impracticable; not feasible.

With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. Matt. xix. 26.

Without faith it is impossible to please him. Heb. xi. 6.

Impossible quantity Math., an imagnary quantity. See Imaginary.

Syn. -- See Impracticable.

 

© Webster 1913.


Im*pos"si*ble, n.

An impossibility.

[Obs.]

"Madam," quoth he, "this were an impossible!" Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.