Thank you evilkalla for your outline of the US frequency allocations.

As of 2010, the band allocations have shifted to reflect a restructuring of the license system. A revised chart can be found at http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

The new frequency revisions are as follows. All revisions are based on the Amateur Extra (full license) privileges. The license classes have been reduced to three (Technician, General, and Extra). The old Technician Plus holders have been folded into the Technician license at renewal time. Novice and Advanced licenses are no longer issued. These licenses are still renewable, however.

CW (morse code) enthusiasts like myself have lost radio spectrum and voice of "phone" operators have gained spectrum. Unlike evilkalla, I consider the reduction of CW/data mode space unfair. The elimination of the morse code licensing requirement has flooded the airwaves with voice-only operators. The reduction of CW bandwidth is an unfortunate sign that CW is declining in popularity. CW is by no means a novelty -- thousands of hams use it daily. Yet a balkanization of operators into CW/data versus voice operators had been developing even before the end of morse code testing.

It's important to note that CW may be used on any amateur radio frequency save the five channels on the 60 meter band. However, there is a bit of bad blood between the code and voice operators. The bandwidth divisions between code and voice are de facto boundaries that must be obeyed save for emergencies.


75/80 METERS.

CW and data modes begin at 3500 kHz and end at 3600 kHz. Voice now extends from 3600 to 4000 kHz. Previously one could run CW and data up to 3750 kHz. CW operators have lost 150 kHz of spectrum -- a sizable loss.


60 METERS.

The IARU or Internation Amateur Radio Union has alloted five channels on the following frequencies for General, Advanced, and Extra licensees:

5330.5 kHz
5346.5 kHz
5366.5 kHz
5371.5 kHz
5403.5 kHz

USB (upper single sideband) only. 50W peak envelope power maximum "relative to a half wave dipole per the ARRL. In other words, no fancy multibeam or yagi antennas on rotors. No other ham radio band carries antenna restrictions.

The SSB carrier must be exactly centered within approximately 3 kHz. In other words, this is a frequency band that is shared with more important users. Great care must be taken to avoid interference such as splatter (i.e. running mike gain too high.) Again, the channelization and carrier requirements are very strict by amateur standards.


40 METERS

The frequency band for CW has been reduced 25 kHz. The current allocation for CW is 7000 -- 7125 kHz, with voice from 7125--7300 kHz.


1.25 METERS

General, Advanced, and Extra licensees may now operate SSB from 219 -- 220 Mhz. The 222 -- 225 Mhz FM portion is unchanged.