MOVE is a new religious movement (sometimes called cult) founded in Philadelphia by Vincent Leaphart in 1972. Leaphart changed his name to John Africa, and consequent followers were all required to adopt the surname of Africa as well, to promote a sense of togetherness and family.

Founded on Christian principles and the philosophy of natural law, John Africa established MOVE in order to break free of the "system", the government, and the laws governing society, which he saw as corrupt and vile. He broke away from all technology and lived in a secluded establishment within Philadelphia. Most of his followers were former drug and alcohol abusers.

Members lived in extreme and radical conditions, and only existed on raw fruits and vegetables, and rarely raw meat. Children were given very little clothing, even in the winter, and were expected to study from the movement's revered text, entitled The Teachings of John Africa. Men were expected to be virile and father many children, and women were seen as having one role: to birth babies. They were forbidden to see any doctors during their pregnancy, and labor was expected to be natural. After the child was born, women were supposed to lick the baby clean and chew off the umbilical chord with their teeth.

Conflicts arose among Philadelphians when people who resided in close proximity to the MOVE establishment began to complain about the waste and smell their neighborhoods were being infiltrated with. City residents demanded that the MOVE establishment be investigated, but MOVE members responded by erecting an eight foot blockade around their property and flashing weapons at any approaching law enforcement officers. This ultimately led to a confrontation between MOVE members and city police, and officer James Ramp was shot dead. Mumia Abu-Jamal and eight other members of MOVE were arrested and given varying jail sentences.

After the confrontation, MOVE relocated to another area of Philadelphia and likened their new establishment to that of a bunker. The group became even more vocal in their anti-government stance, and neighbors once more became infuriated by the waste being produced by the movement, as well as constant profane messages being broadcasted over loudspeakers from their establishment. In 1985, the ultimate confrontation occured, where city officials attempted to storm the MOVE establishment and a two hour shoot out occured between members and police. The mayor of Philadelphia at the time approved the use of an explosive to blast a hole in their bunker, in order to use tear gas to evacuate the establishment. The explosive did not create a hole. Instead, the roof of the bunker caught fire, and everyone except two MOVE members (one adult named Ramona Africa who was convicted of riot charges and conspiracy, the other a thirteen year old boy) made it out of the house alive.

Ramona Africa and family members of those killed in the fire have filed a lawsuit against the city of Philadelphia and other law enforcement officials. The city received much criticism for the way it handled the MOVE situation, and took a long time in settling claims with Ramona Africa and other family members of people who died in the fire. There is still much controversy about the conviction and trial of Mumia Abu-Jamal as well.

For more details about MOVE, see: http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/Move.html.