A genre of rap and electronic music that is closely related to, if not interchangeable with, bass music. It originates from the home of the bass sound, Miami, and continues to come primarily from the South. As such, it is characterized by deep, rolling bass. This is usually achieved with a TR-808 drum machine. Sometimes sampled breaks are used for the beat, but drum machines are also frequently used. The beats are set at a fast dance tempo.

The most interesting things about booty music are the lyrics. Depending on your viewpoint, they could be considered derogatory towards women in their sexual objectification. One could also say the lyrics are abject praise for the human female form. You be the judge, here is a small sampling:

It should be noted that just because a song talks about booty, it doesn't mean the song is booty music. By strict definition, most booty afficiandos will scoff at you if you mention something like The Thong Song in that context.

Booty has recently undergone an evolution of sorts, thanks to the efforts of Illinois-based DJ Funk. He has merged booty with Chicago House elements to create Booty House. Another offshoot genre influenced by Detroit Techno called Ghetto Tech is somewhat similar, and DJ Assault is often referred to as the quintessential purveyor.