A series of books published by Marquis Who's Who(R) whose original aim was to provide "accurate, concise biographies of notable Americans." Since being started in 1899 by Albert Nelson Marquis, the series now includes many categories and presents over 900,000 people from all over the world. The professional categories include the fields in Media and Communications, Medicine and Healthcare, Entertainment, Science and Engineering, Finance and Industry, American Women, American Law, American Politics, and American Art.

People are chosen for inclusion because the publisher believes their accomplishments have "significant reference value." The method by which people are chosen is unstated, although it is possible to be nominated by a "colleague."

By being included, you are not required to purchase the publication. Marquis states the primary purpose of inclusion is to maintain their biographical database as "the definitive biographical resource of top professionals."

Various members of my family, myself included, have been offered inclusion into various publications. Although it is a decent ego boost, I really wonder what their inclusion process involves, because I really do not see any "significant reference value" in including us. The order form included with the letter, I think, explains it all. I highly doubt they generate a significant amount of revenue from people who actually use it as a "biographical resource."