What is Deconstruction?

The term denotes a particular kind of practice in reading and, thereby, a method of criticism and mode of analytical inquiry. J.A. Cuddon, A Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory, third ed. (London: Blackwell, 1991).
Deconstruction is not analysis, nor methodology, nor context, perhaps not even strategy, certainly not critique.

The beginning point will be: "Letter to a Japanese Friend by Jacques Derrida", in which Derrida explicitly states that deconstruction is not "analysis", nor "critique", contrary to a popular reading, at least in the United States. The trail of deconstruction is not one on which we are lead, by rules, by formalizations, even by concepts, or histories, certainly not by structures. In the Letter, it was written that deconstruction "was also an antistructuralist gesture". There is, we might be tempted to write, a rejection of the decision implicit in structuralism. To say that deconstruction occurs, most importantly, against the backdrop of structuralism (see Benway above), is to write that deconstruction is at once structuralism and antistructuralism, that it is at once structuralist in being antistructuralist, but antistructuralist in being both: this is what it would be like to deconstruct an opposition, to ride around on the margins of a philosophy. "Its fortune rests in part on this ambiguity" (Letter).

When he wrote that, "What deconstruction is not? everything of course! What is deconstruction? nothing of course!", this too was from the Letter, which is where I will start. It is the very beginning that is in question in deconstruction, just as it was in hermeneutics. When you take only one concept to task, you will forget everything, even your own language.