I can claim some family ties to the Maori people of New Zealand; if one were to trace the lineage of my mother's side back several generations, one of my great-great-great-great uncles was a Maori chief. There is a huge painting of him in a museum on the North Island of New Zealand, which I had the privilege of seeing last year. He seemed to be very impressive. My grandmother keeps a smaller version of the painting on her wall to remind her of home.

And now the technical stuff about the self-named language of the Maori:

Eastern Polynesian subgroup of the Eastern Austronesian (Oceanic) languages, spoken in the Cook Islands and New Zealand. Since the Maori Language Act of 1987, it has been one of the two official languages of New Zealand. Estimates of the number of Maori speakers range from 100,000 to 150,000.

As one of the marginal eastern Polynesian islands, New Zealand was one of the last of the Polynesian islands to be settled (about AD 800). Since that time the Maori language has developed independently of other Polynesian languages. European Christian missionaries developed Maori as a written language, and the first printed material in the Maori language was published in 1815.

The language contains 5 vowels (each of which can be either short or long) and 10 consonants (h, k, m, n, ng, p, r, t, w, and wh). Reduplication is frequently used, generally as a modification of intensity. Prefixes and suffixes are relatively rare, and the plurality of nouns and verb tenses is usually indicated by the syntax of a statement.

(according to the Encyclopedia Britannica)