Another variation of handball exists in New Zealand.

Although probably not very popular, it exists as some sort of distant relative of the handball game described by interrobang above.

This game uses the same "mini" soccer goals, is played on a half basketball court, teams consists of about six players each side with two goalies and the ball may only be played with the hands. But that's about where the similarities end.

In this game the ball is a standard soccer ball/volleyball/netball - whatever you have handy.

The biggest difference, however, is that the ball is never supposed to leave the ground. You must "dribble" or pass the ball along the ground in the same way you would in a game of soccer. Definitely no throwing the ball. This encourages teamwork in the players by passing the ball around to get to the goal.

Suffice to say, because you are supposed to play on your feet (no crawling or sliding along on your knees), this can cause a bit of a sore back by the end of the game for taller people. Perhaps this is why it's not a very popular game.

There are a few other rules such as no moving backwards with the ball, no hitting the ball with a closed fist and no shoulder barging through other players.

On the whole this is an okay game, and fun for young kids/teens, buts it tends to feel awkward as you're always hunched over while playing the ball.