Many years ago, I went somewhere with mom. In a yard adjacent to local botanical garden - totally in the other part of the town, no clue what we were doing there - there was a cat sitting. I had not seen such a cat before and mom said Oh, that's a Siamese. Maybe back then I started dreaming of getting my own Meezer one day.

The day came some 20 years later. I was a poor student, I coudn't afford a full-bred cat so I checked for local classifieds, looking for something like Kittens for free. Apparently, karma thought otherwise so the first ad was from a breeder selling a 11 months old Siamese which she couldn't keep. And which cost just about the money I had for the whole month. (Not that subsisting on rice and leftovers snatched at parents' was anything unusual anyway.)

I learned the full story, then. A couple wanted a designer kitten for their designer apartment. Designer kitten was cute but still a kitten so it meowed, ate (designer) shoes, climbed (designer) curtains... and the folks got pissed and returned the kitten to the breeder.

Said breeder had around 8 cats, Meezers and ocicats, which came to sit on me, fighting for the best place on my lap and generally behaved in nicely obtrusive manner. The specimen for sale was hiding under the sofa and refused to come out without quite some violence. Apparently, the previous owners used to beat the poor kitty because even now, seven years later, she's scared of people stretching hands towards her and elongated objects, be it rolled-up newspapers, sticks or anything else. I paid my due, promised to inform on the future development, went back home, released the cat from the kitty carrier and that was it. Next morning, food bowl was empty, there was something in the litter box and there was no trace of a cat anywhere. This lasted for around a month, then I started seeing the long snout and pointy ears lurking from shadows.

The cat, a chocolate tortie-point, was named Tähti later on because she developed the very Siamese manners of stealing the show. Any show. She developed to an excellent example of velcro cat, too.