The Order of the knights of St. John of Jerusalem, founded by Blessed Gerald, who became the first Grand Master. After being driven from Jerusalem and Rhodes, the order was awarded Malta and Tripoli in 1530 by Charles V of Spain. Tripoli soon fell to the forces of Islam, and Malta was also invaded in 1551, the island held out but the entire population of the sister island Gozo was taken into slavery. The order in Malta became an important naval power and invested heavily in defending Malta and in developing the local corsairing trade. Maltese pirates became greatly feared amongst muslim ships in the Mediterranean. The capturing of an important ship by the order is rumoured to have prompted another invasion which came to be known as the Great Siege in 1565, in which the order, under the leadership of Grand Master La Vallette, emerged victorious despite seemingly impossible odds. The Order was divided into eight "langues" according to national origin. These were Provence, Auvergne, France, Aragon, Castille, Italy, Germany and England (the English langue was removed when England converted to Protestantism). The Order was removed from Malta by Napoleon, who on his way to Egypt was let into Malta by the cowardly Grand Master Hompesch. The remaining fragments of the order then fled to Rome and Russia, as Napoleon couldn't tolerate the aristocracy.
Full list of the Grand Masters in Malta (after 1530):
  • 1530 Phillipe Villiers de l'Isle-Adam (France)
  • 1534 Pietro del Ponte (Italy)
  • 1535 Didier de Saint-Jaille (France)
  • 1536 Juan d'Omedes (Aragon)
  • 1553 Claude de la Sengle (France)
  • 1557 Jean de la Valette-Parisot (Provence)
  • 1568 Pietro del Monte San Savino (Italy)
  • 1572 Jean l'Eveque de la Caissiere (Auvergne)
  • 1582 Hugues Loubenx de Verdala (Provence)
  • 1595 Martin Garzes (Aragon)
  • 1601 Alofe de Wignacourt (France)
  • 1622 Louis Mendez de Vasconcelles (Castille)
  • 1623 Antoine de Paule (Provence)
  • 1636 Jean-Paul de Lascaris-Castellar (Provence)
  • 1657 Martin de Redin (Aragon)
  • 1660 Annet de Clermont-Gessan (Auvergne)
  • 1660 Raphael Cotoner (Aragon)
  • 1663 Nicolas Cotoner (Aragon)
  • 1680 Gregoire Carafa (Italy)
  • 1690 Adrien de Wignacourt (France)
  • 1697 Ramon Perelles y Roccaful (Aragon)
  • 1720 Marc Antoine Zondadari (Italy)
  • 1722 Antoine Manoel de Vilhena (Castille)
  • 1736 Ramon Despuig (Aragon)
  • 1741 Manuel Pinto de Fonseca (Castille)
  • 1773 Francisco Ximenes de Texada (Aragon)
  • 1775 Emmanuel Marie de Rohan-Polduc (France)
  • 1797 Ferdinand von Hompesch (Germany).