Bless me, father, for I have sinned. It has been a long time since my last daylog.

Finally, finally, finally, I had the chance to meet some of my fellow noders. Being a Dane means being somewhat removed from the general flow of noder meetings and get-togethers (Danish noders, for some reason, tend to be lone wolves, forsaking the company of the rest of the pack - we don't congregate).

Today1, erevapisces and farqwart dropped by Copenhagen, and we went for a nice ramble through the old parts of the city.

I'd no idea what they looked like (though they had seen my picture on my homenode), so we arranged to meet at a particular location in the Copenhagen Central Station. Then, we wandered through the "Latin Quarter" to Paludans Bogcafé, a bookstore-cum-café in Fiolstræde. This also gave me a chance to show them one of the sections of the Danish Royal Library, in that street - and to show off the "Bomb Book"2, which is on display there.

Over coffee at Paludans, we got to know each other. Let it be known that Gabrielle (erevapisces) and James (farqwart) are really nice people. And thoughtful: James had thought to bring along a gift: a brochure promoting guard llamas (I kid you not), which really tickled my fancy.

Afterwards, feeling a bit peckish, we went to eat dim sum at the Royal Garden chinese restaurant on the corner of Dronningens Tværgade and Borgergade. Yum.

A bit of shopping for third world items at Mellemfolkelig Samvirke's shop in Borgergade, and we continued to an American-style coffee shop in Gothersgade for more coffee, and cake. By this time, it was four in the afternoon, and it was time for me to pick up my youngest, Noah, from the day-care center. James and Gabrielle tagged along, and got to meet Noah, who obliged his doting father by being exceptionally cute.

Then it was time to say our goodbyes. James and Gabrielle headed off for the station, to catch the train to Brussels (and their plane home). Noah and I went for a double-decker busride home (he loves sitting on the upper deck).

Highlights of the day:

  • The E2 lingo is apparently a separate language. A strange realisation: that nobody else would be able to understand what we talking about, let alone understand the inside jokes.
  • James and Gabrielle can now proudly claim in the catbox that they've eaten Danish Spunk (no, no, no, get your mind out of the gutter - "Spunk" is a brand name for a type of liquorice candy popular in Denmark).
  • Likewise, all of us had chicken feet as part of our dim sum dinner. Yummy. Over dinner, we discussed the recreation of extinct species using stored DNA and cloning techniques. James and I agreed that we'd love to have the dodo recreated - so we could eat it. In any case, we were all eager to taste roast haunch of oviraptor.

All told, a great first noder meet for me. May there be many more.


1 Yesterday. I'm noding this the following day.

2 After the Great Fire of Copenhagen, 1729, the un-incinerated remnants of the Royal Library were moved to the attic space of Trinitatis Kirke ("Trinity Church"). When the British terror-bombed Copenhagen in 1807, one of the grenades fell through the roof of the church and passed right through a manuscript copy of Marsilius of Padua's Defensor Pacis, leaving a round hole in the book.