Nemesis is the nickname of a theorhetical and highly controversial companion star to our Sun. It is thought to be a small, dim dwarf, orbiting the Sun in an elliptical orbit, with a period of 25 - 30 million years.

The theory behind this star is the apparent extinction of large amounts of animal species, which seem to happen every 26 million years, according to David Raup and John Sepkoski at the University of Chicago. The most recent of these eradications took place 11.3 million years ago. Michael Rampino, using a different analysis, found this period to be 30 million years.

The basic idea behind the theory is that Nemesis, in it's passing, disturbs the Oort Cloud surrounding our solar system, and as a result, thousands, perhaps millions of comets will be sent out of their orbit, tumbling towards the Sun.

There is much controversy surrounding the alleged extinction theories, and very few researchers take them seriously. The main argument against it is that this star and our Sun would interact so weakly that other stars around us would jerk it out of its orbit. Also, numerous searches for large nearby objects have been conducted, and the largest detected so far has only 10 times the mass of Jupiter.