Science Writer, `Robotics' Creator Isaac Asimov Dies

By Sidney C. Schaer
Newsday

New York

More than 40 years ago, a character in Isaac Asimov's most famous science fiction series, the "Foundation" trilogy, said, "My novels are going to be interesting and are going to sell and be famous. What's the use of writing books unless you sell them and become well-known? I don't want some old professors to know me. It's got to be everybody."

Even as he was writing those words, Asimov was establishing his reputation as one of the world's premier science fiction writers. Asimov, who died in New York Monday at 72, ultimately became this century's most recognized one-man encyclopedist -- with 477 published titles by his own count.

Long before the advent of the Information Age, Asimov was a singular information processor. "Isaac Asimov is the greatest explainer of the age," said Carl Sagan, the Cornell University astronomer.

Such a feat was accomplished by an extraordinary combination of imagination and intellect: an imagination that allowed him to soar into the future matched with an intellect that allowed him to roam in the past and present, searching for explanations of anything and everything.

"Isaac wrote seminal works of science fiction, and I suspect that long after his other contributions sort of blend into history, his speculations about robotics and artificial intelligence will survive long into the future," said longtime collaborator Martin Greenberg, a professor of political science at the University of Wisconsin at Green Bay.

Asimov, along with the genre's two other acknowledged giants, the late Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke, influenced the generation that propelled us into space and landed us on the moon, Greenberg said. The coming generation, he said, will have been much more influenced by the technology of moviemaking, particularly the George Lucas epics.

"Before, the sense of wonder was strictly with the writers," said Greenberg, who during the past 15 years collaborated with Asimov on more than 100 anthologies.

A man of little false humility, Asimov could be self-deprecating and self-congratulatory at the same time. Consider the citation in the most recent "Who's Who," which runs 128 lines -- mostly devoted to listing his published works but including a recipe for living that says in part: "I have been fortunate to be born with a restless and efficient brain, with a capacity of clear thought and an ability to put that thought into words ... I am the lucky beneficiary of a lucky break in the genetic sweepstakes."

Although he could not lay claim to publishing the largest number of books (the Guinness Book of Records identifies that champion as Josef Ignacy Kraszewski, a Polish writer of the 19th century who produced more than 600 volumes), Asimov did cover the largest range of subjects. He managed over his creative lifetime to have at least one book included in each of the Dewey Decimal System's 10 major library classifications.

Asimov explored what interested him: Shakespeare, the Bible, Gilbert and Sullivan, limericks, history, whether it be Roman, Greek or American. He annotated "Gulliver's Travels" and collected Sherlock Holmes limericks.


Copyright 1992 by The Tech. All rights reserved.
This story was published on Tuesday, April 7, 1992.
Volume 112, Number 18
The story was printed on page 3.
This article may be freely distributed electronically, provided it is distributed in its entirety and includes this notice, but may not be reprinted without the express written permission of The Tech. Write to archive@the-tech.mit.edu for additional details.

Dr. Isaac Asimov (1920-1992) was born in Petrovichi, Russia to Jewish parents who emigrated to Brooklyn when he was three. Perturbed by the long walk to the public library, he began to write his own stories at age 11, starting with The Greenville Chums at College. Eight chapters later, he abandoned the work when he realized he had no idea what he was writing about, having yet to attend college.

Exposed to the then brand new genre of science fiction through pulp magazines in his family's candy store, where he worked, he began submitting stories to them. John W. Campbell at Astounding Science Fiction rejected his first three submissions, but Astounding Stories published the fourth, "Marooned Off Vesta," in 1939.

He spent most of World War II working at the Philadelphia Naval Yard participating in scientific experiments and later served a year in Army at the tail end of the conflict. In 1948 he earned his PhD in biochemistry from Columbia University and started teaching at Boston University. Preferring teaching and general science writing to, in his words, being merely a mediocre research scientist, he quit in 1958 to become a full-time writer.

And quite a writer he was, probably one of the most prolific in history. Depending on how you count them, he wrote around 500 books. It's been said that he wrote a book on every subject except animal husbandry. It isn't true that he has a book in every category of the Dewey Decimal System (he has no books in the 100s, philosophy), but his accomplishment of having so many books in so many different categories may be unsurpassed. Asimov, "the great explainer," wrote mostly about science, about every possible branch of science it seems, but also wrote a number of volumes on literature and history. He also wrote plenty of fiction, including humor and mysteries.

And of course, he is remembered for being one of the most important early writers of science fiction. His accomplishments include:

• The Foundation trilogy (well, it was originally a trilogy anyway) about a galactic empire and a new science called "psychohistory" which can predict the future with astounding accuracy. Asimov was inspired by Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. In 1966, it won a Hugo award for best all-time novel series.

• The Robot Trilogy. When John Campbell said that it was impossible to write a science fiction detective story, Asimov promptly wrote The Caves of Steel, featuring police officer Elijah Bailey and lifelike robot R. Daneel Olivaw. The sequels were The Naked Sun and The Robots of Dawn.

• The robot short stories, especially I, Robot. Many of them feature U.S.Robots employee Susan Calvin investigating robot screw-ups and mysteries. For these stories, Asimov created the Three Laws of Robotics and coined the word "robotics".

• The novels The End of Eternity and The Gods Themselves.

• The short stories "Nightfall", "The Bicentennial Man", and "The Ugly Little Boy", all made into films.

Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, a pulp magazine that still exists.

Some critics dismiss his importance to the genre. A common complaint is that he could not write about aliens or sex. True, most of his stories were about humans and robots, but he wrote about both aliens and sex quite well in The Gods Themselves, and was proud of the novel because of that. Asimov's writing usually was not very exotic and contained little action, but as (I think) Orson Scott Card said, "Asimov's talk is action." But his seemingly tame writing and the fact that his innovations have been so thoroughly absorbed by the genre make it easy for some to mistakenly overlook his accomplishments.

In 1987 he was named a Nebula Grandmaster. He died of heart and kidney failure in 1992.
"...was the only author to write at least one book for every genre and every major catagory of the Dewey Decimal System. His best work, however, was in science fiction."

That is, in fact, an exaggeration, as Asimov himself admits in his autobiography. He did come pretty damn close though.

He is my favorite author, period. I read the Foundation series about once every two years as to be sure I don't forget any of it.

I met him once, in an elevator at a Star Trek convention. You can read a rather heartfelt letter I never got around to sending him at Letter to Isaac Asimov.
Asimov's fiction is simply amazing. Partly because he never simply wrote novels that had futuristic overtones. His stories always turned on logical, philosophical, or sociological principles and ideas. For example, his fine Elijah Bailey series dealt with a very realistic and gripping society. Of course, they're also excellent murder mysteries, and they're engrossing tales, but his construction of a future society is so realistic it's astonishing.

In response to the issue of his "not being able to write about aliens," this really is kind of a misdirected critique. As he said in a foreword somewhere or other, he actually did write some early stories that contained aliens. His stories often portrayed the aliens as being superior to humans and this was intensely disliked by the editors of the magazines he wrote for. They always made him alter his stories, which displeased him greatly. So, he stopped writing about aliens altogether. Instead, he turned his attention to robots and humanity and never looked back.

I also would like to recommend that everyone out there in E2-land read the Robot City series--they're fantastic! The idea behind them is that Asimov came up with a basic idea for the series and then let other writers take it where they wanted. Each book is by a different author who took up where the last one left off, with some moderate guidance and ideas from Asimov. It's good stuff!

The (mostly) complete books of Isaac Asimov, in (mostly) the order written:

  1. Pebble In The Sky Doubleday 1950
  2. I, Robot Gnome Press 1950
  3. The Stars, Like Dust Doubleday 1951
  4. Foundation Gnome Press 1951
  5. David Starr, Space Ranger Doubleday 1952
  6. Foundation and Empire Gnome Press 1952
  7. The Currents of Space Doubleday 1952
  8. Biochemistry and Human Metabolism Williams & Wilkins 1952
  9. Second Foundation Gnome Press 1953
  10. Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids Doubleday 1953
  11. The Caves of Steel Doubleday 1954
  12. Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus Doubleday 1954
  13. The Chemicals of Life: Enzymes, Vitamins, and Hormones Abelard-Schuman 1954
  14. The Martian Way and Other Stories Doubleday 1955
  15. The End of Eternity Doubleday 1955
  16. Races and People Abelard-Schuman 1955
  17. Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury Doubleday 1956
  18. Chemistry and Human Health McGraw-Hill 1956
  19. Inside The Atom Abelard-Schuman 1956
  20. The Naked Sun Doubleday 1957
  21. Lucky Starr and the Moons of Jupiter Doubleday 1957
  22. Building Blocks of the Universe Abelard-Schuman 1957
  23. Earth Is Room Enough: Science Fiction Tales of Our Own Planet Doubleday 1957
  24. Only a Trillion Abelard-Schuman 1957
  25. The World of Carbon Abelard-Schuman 1958
  26. Lucky Starr and the Rings of Saturn Doubleday 1958
  27. The World of Nitrogen Abelard-Schuman 1958
  28. The Death Dealers Avon 1958
  29. Nine Tomorrows: Tales of the Near Future Doubleday 1959
  30. The Clock We Live On Abelard-Schuman 1959
  31. Words of Science, and the History Behind Them Houghton Mifflin 1959
  32. Realm of Numbers Houghton Mifflin 1959
  33. The Living River Abelard-Schuman 1960
  34. The Kingdom of the Sun Abelard-Schuman 1960
  35. Realm of Measure Houghton Mifflin 1960
  36. Breakthroughs in Science Houghton Mifflin 1960
  37. Satellites in Outer Space Random House 1960
  38. The Wellsprings of Life Abelard-Schuman 1960
  39. The Intelligent Man's Guide to Science Basic Books 1960
  40. The Double Planet Abelard-Schuman 1960
  41. Words from the Myths Houghton Mifflin 1961
  42. Realm of Algebra Houghton Mifflin 1961
  43. Life and Energy Doubleday 1962
  44. Words in Genesis Houghton Mifflin 1962
  45. Fact and Fancy Doubleday 1962
  46. Words on the Map Houghton Mifflin 1962
  47. The Hugo Winners Doubleday 1962
  48. The Search For The Elements Basic Books 1962
  49. Words from the Exodus Houghton Mifflin 1963
  50. The Genetic Code Orion Press 1963
  51. The Human Body: Its Structure and Operation Houghton Mifflin 1963
  52. Fifty Short Science Fiction Tales Collier 1963
  53. View from a Height Doubleday 1963
  54. The Kite That Won the Revolution Houghton Mifflin 1963
  55. The Human Brain: Its Capacities and Functions Houghton Mifflin 1964
  56. A Short History of Biology Natural History Press 1964
  57. Quick and Easy Math Houghton Mifflin 1964
  58. Adding a Dimension Doubleday 1964
  59. Planets For Man Random House 1964
  60. The Rest of the Robots Doubleday 1964
  61. Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology, 1st Ed. Doubleday 1964
  62. A Short History of Chemistry Doubleday 1965
  63. The Greeks: A Great Adventure Houghton Mifflin 1965
  64. Of Time and Space and Other Things Doubleday 1965
  65. The New Intelligent Man's Guide to Science Basic Books 1965
  66. An Easy Introduction to the Slide Rule Houghton Mifflin 1965
  67. Fantastic Voyage Houghton Mifflin 1966
  68. The Noble Gases Basic Books 1966
  69. Inside The Atom (3rd revised edition) Abelard-Schuman 1966
  70. The Neutrino: Ghost Particle of the Atom Doubleday 1966
  71. The Roman Republic Houghton Mifflin 1966
  72. Understanding Physics, Volume I Walker 1966
  73. Understanding Physics, Volume II Walker 1966
  74. Understanding Physics, Volume III Walker 1966
  75. The Genetic Effects of Radiation U.S. AEC 1966
  76. Tomorrow's Children: Eighteen Tales of Fantasy and Science Fiction Doubleday 1966
  77. The Universe: From Flat Earth to Quasar Walker 1966
  78. From Earth to Heaven Doubleday 1966
  79. The Moon Follet 1967
  80. Environments Out There Scholastic/Abelard-Schuman 1967
  81. The Roman Empire Houghton Mifflin 1967
  82. Through a Glass, Clearly New English Library 1967
  83. Is Anyone There? Doubleday 1967
  84. To the Ends of the Universe Walker 1967
  85. Mars Follet 1967
  86. The Egyptians Houghton Mifflin 1967
  87. Asimov's Mysteries Doubleday 1968
  88. Science, Numbers, and I Doubleday 1968
  89. Stars Follet 1968
  90. Galaxies Follet 1968
  91. The Near East: 10,000 Years of History Houghton Mifflin 1968
  92. The Dark Ages Houghton Mifflin 1968
  93. Asimov's Guide To The Bible, Volume I Doubleday 1968
  94. Words from History Houghton Mifflin 1968
  95. Photosynthesis Basic Books 1969
  96. The Shaping of England Houghton Mifflin 1969
  97. Twentieth Century Discovery Doubleday 1969
  98. Nightfall and Other Stories Doubleday 1969
  99. Asimov's Guide To The Bible, Volume II Doubleday 1969
  100. Opus 100 Houghton Mifflin 1969
  101. ABC's of Space Walker 1969
  102. Great Ideas of Science Houghton Mifflin 1969
  103. The Solar System and Back Doubleday 1970
  104. Asimov's Guide To Shakespeare, Volume I Doubleday 1970
  105. Asimov's Guide To Shakespeare, Volume II Doubleday 1970
  106. Constantinople: The Forgotten Empire Houghton Mifflin 1970
  107. ABC's of the Ocean Walker 1970
  108. Light Follet 1970
  109. The Stars in Their Courses Doubleday 1971
  110. Where Do We Go from Here? Doubleday 1971
  111. What Makes the Sun Shine? Little, Brown & Co. 1971
  112. The Sensuous Dirty Old Man Walker 1971
  113. The Best New Thing World Pub. Co. 1971
  114. Isaac Asimov's Treasury of Humor Houghton Mifflin 1971
  115. The Hugo Winners, Volume II Doubleday 1971
  116. The Land of Canaan Houghton Mifflin 1971
  117. ABC's of the Earth Walker 1971
  118. Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology, New Rev. Ed. Doubleday 1972
  119. The Left Hand of the Electron Doubleday 1972
  120. Asimov's Guide to Science Basic Books 1972
  121. The Gods Themselves Doubleday 1972
  122. More Words of Science Houghton Mifflin 1972
  123. Electricity and Man U.S. AEC 1972
  124. ABC's of Ecology Walker 1972
  125. The Early Asimov or, Eleven Years of Trying Doubleday 1972
  126. The Shaping of France Houghton Mifflin 1972
  127. The Story of Ruth Doubleday 1972
  128. Ginn Science Program, Int. Level A Ginn 1972
  129. Ginn Science Program, Int. Level C Ginn 1972
  130. Asimov's Annotated "Don Juan" Doubleday 1972
  131. Worlds Within Worlds U.S. AEC 1972
  132. Ginn Science Program, Int. Level B Ginn 1972
  133. How Did We Find Out the Earth Is Round? Walker 1973
  134. Comets and Meteors Follet 1973
  135. The Sun Follet 1973
  136. How Did We Find Out About Electricity? Walker 1973
  137. The Shaping of North America: From Earliest Times to 1763 Houghton Mifflin 1973
  138. Today and Tomorrow and... Doubleday 1973
  139. Jupiter, the Largest Planet Lothrop, Lee, & Shepard 1973
  140. Ginn Science Program, Adv. Level A Ginn 1973
  141. Ginn Science Program, Adv. Level B Ginn 1973
  142. How Did We Find Out About Numbers? Walker 1973
  143. Please Explain Houghton Mifflin 1973
  144. The Tragedy of the Moon Abelard-Schuman 1973
  145. How Did We Find Out About Dinosaurs? Walker 1973
  146. The Best of Isaac Asimov Sphere 1973
  147. Nebula Award Stories Eight Harper & Row 1973
  148. Asimov on Astronomy Doubleday 1974
  149. The Birth of the United States Houghton Mifflin 1974
  150. Have You Seen These? NESRAA 1974
  151. Before The Golden Age: A Science Fiction Anthology of the 1930s Doubleday 1974
  152. Our World in Space New York Graphic Society 1974
  153. How Did We Find Out About Germs? Walker 1974
  154. Asimov's Annotated "Paradise Lost" Doubleday 1974
  155. Tales of the Black Widowers Doubleday 1974
  156. Earth: Our Crowded Spaceship John Day 1974
  157. Asimov on Chemistry Doubleday 1974
  158. How Did We Find Out About Vitamins? Walker 1974
  159. Of Matters Great and Small Doubleday 1975
  160. The Solar System Follet 1975
  161. Our Federal Union Houghton Mifflin 1975
  162. How Did We Find Out About Comets? Walker 1975
  163. Science Past, Science Future Doubleday 1975
  164. Buy Jupiter and Other Stories Doubleday 1975
  165. Eyes on the Universe: A History of the Telescope Houghton Mifflin 1975
  166. Lecherous Limericks Walker 1975
  167. The Heavenly Host Walker 1975
  168. The Ends of the Earth: The Polar Regions of the World Weybright & Talley 1975
  169. How Did We Find Out About Energy? Walker 1975
  170. "The Dream", "Benjamin's Dream", and "Benjamin's Bicentennial Blast" Benjamin Franklin Keeps. 1976
  171. Asimov on Physics Doubleday 1976
  172. Murder at The ABA Doubleday 1976
  173. How Did We Find Out About Atoms? Walker 1976
  174. Good Taste Apocalypse Press 1976
  175. The Planet That Wasn't Doubleday 1976
  176. The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories Doubleday 1976
  177. More Lecherous Limericks Walker 1976
  178. More Tales of the Black Widowers Doubleday/Crime Club 1976
  179. Alpha Centauri, the Nearest Star Lothrop, Lee, & Shepard 1976
  180. How Did We Find Out About Nuclear Power? Walker 1976
  181. Familiar Poems Annotated Doubleday 1977
  182. The Collapsing Universe: The Story of Black Holes Walker 1977
  183. Asimov on Numbers Doubleday 1977
  184. How Did We Find Out About Outer Space? Walker 1977
  185. Still More Lecherous Limericks Walker 1977
  186. The Hugo Winners, Volume III Doubleday 1977
  187. The Beginning and the End Doubleday 1977
  188. Mars, the Red Planet Lothrop, Lee, & Shepard 1977
  189. The Golden Door Houghton Mifflin 1977
  190. The Key Word and Other Mysteries Walker 1977
  191. Asimov's Sherlockian Limericks Mysterious 1977
  192. One Hundred Great Science Fiction Short-Short Stories Doubleday 1978
  193. Quasar, Quasar, Burning Bright Doubleday 1978
  194. How Did We Find Out About Earthquakes? Walker 1978
  195. Animals of the Bible Doubleday 1978
  196. Limericks: Too Gross; or Two Dozen Dirty Stanzas W. W. Norton 1978
  197. How Did We Find Out About Black Holes? Walker 1978
  198. Life and Time Doubleday 1978
  199. Saturn and Beyond Lothrop, Lee, & Shepard 1979
  200. Opus 200 Houghton Mifflin 1979
  201. In Memory Yet Green Doubleday 1979
  202. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 1: 1939 DAW Books 1979
  203. Extraterrestrial Civilizations Crown 1979
  204. How Did We Find Out About Our Human Roots? Walker 1979
  205. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 2: 1940 DAW Books 1979
  206. The Road to Infinity Doubleday 1979
  207. A Choice of Catastrophes Simon & Schuster 1979
  208. The Science Fictional Solar System Harper & Row 1979
  209. The Thirteen Crimes of Science Fiction Doubleday 1979
  210. Isaac Asimov's Book of Facts Grosset & Dunlap 1979
  211. How Did We Find Out About Antarctica? Walker 1979
  212. Casebook of the Black Widowers Doubleday 1980
  213. The Future in Question Fawcett Crest 1980
  214. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 3: 1941 DAW Books 1980
  215. How Did We Find Out About Oil? Walker 1980
  216. In Joy Still Felt Doubleday 1980
  217. Who Done It? Houghton Mifflin 1980
  218. Space Mail Fawcett Crest 1980
  219. Microcosmic Tales: 100 Wondrous Science Fiction Short-Short Stories Taplinger 1980
  220. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 4: 1942 DAW Books 1980
  221. The Seven Deadly Sins of Science Fiction Fawcett Crest 1980
  222. The Annotated "Gulliver's Travels" Clarkson N. Potter 1980
  223. How Did We Find Out About Coal? Walker 1980
  224. The Future I Fawcett Crest 1981
  225. In the Beginning Crown/Stonesong Press 1981
  226. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 5: 1943 DAW Books 1981
  227. Asimov on Science Fiction Doubleday 1981
  228. Venus, Near Neighbor of the Sun Lothrop, Lee, & Shepard 1981
  229. Three by Asimov Targ 1981
  230. How Did We Find Out About Solar Power? Walker 1981
  231. How Did We Find Out About Volcanoes? Walker 1981
  232. Visions of the Universe The Cosmos Store 1981
  233. Catastrophes! Fawcett Crest 1981
  234. Isaac Asimov Presents the Best Science Fiction of the 19th Century Beaufort Books 1981
  235. The Seven Cardinal Virtues of Science Fiction Fawcett Crest 1981
  236. Fantastic Creatures: An Anthology of Fantasy and Science Fiction Franklin Watts 1981
  237. The Sun Shines Bright Doubleday 1981
  238. Change!: Seventy-one Glimpses of the Future Houghton Mifflin 1981
  239. Raintree Reading Series I Raintree 1981
  240. A Grossery of Limericks W. W. Norton 1981
  241. Miniature Mysteries: One Hundred Malicious Little Mystery Stories Taplinger 1981
  242. The Twelve Crimes of Christmas Avon 1981
  243. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 6: 1944 DAW Books 1981
  244. Space Mail II Fawcett Crest 1982
  245. Tantalizing Locked Room Mysteries Walker 1982
  246. TV: 2000 Fawcett Crest 1982
  247. Laughing Space Houghton Mifflin 1982
  248. How Did We Find Out About Life In the Deep Sea Walker 1982
  249. The Complete Robot Doubleday 1982
  250. Speculations Houghton Mifflin 1982
  251. Flying Saucers Fawcett Crest 1982
  252. Exploring the Earth and the Cosmos Crown 1982
  253. Raintree Reading Series II Raintree 1982
  254. How Did We Find Out About the Beginning of Life? Walker 1982
  255. Dragon Tales Fawcett Crest 1982
  256. The Big Apple Mysteries Avon 1982
  257. Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology, 2nd Rev. Ed. Doubleday 1982
  258. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 7: 1945 DAW Books 1982
  259. Isaac Asimov Presents Superquiz Dembner Books 1982
  260. The Last Man on Earth Fawcett Crest 1982
  261. Science Fiction A to Z: A Dictionary of Great Science Fiction Themes Houghton Mifflin 1982
  262. Foundation's Edge Doubleday 1982
  263. Isaac Asimov Presents the Best Fantasy of the 19th Century Beaufort Books 1982
  264. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 8: 1946 DAW Books 1982
  265. How Did We Find Out About the Universe? Walker 1982
  266. Counting the Eons Doubleday 1983
  267. The Winds of Change and Other Stories Doubleday 1983
  268. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 9: 1947 DAW Books 1983
  269. Show Business Is Murder Avon 1983
  270. Hallucination Orbit: Psychology In Science Fiction Farrar, Straus, & Giroux 1983
  271. Caught In the Organ Draft: Biology In Science Fiction Farrar, Straus, & Giroux 1983
  272. The Roving Mind Prometheus Books 1983
  273. The Science Fiction Weight-Loss Book Crown 1983
  274. The Measure of the Universe Harper & Row 1983
  275. Isaac Asimov Presents the Best Horror and Supernatural Stories of the 19th Century Beaufort Books 1983
  276. Starships: Stories Beyond the Boundaries of the Universe Fawcett Crest 1983
  277. The Union Club Mysteries Doubleday 1983
  278. Norby, the Mixed-up Robot Walker 1983
  279. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 10: 1948 DAW Books 1983
  280. How Did We Find Out About Genes? Walker 1983
  281. The Robots of Dawn Doubleday 1983
  282. Thirteen Horrors of Halloween Avon 1983
  283. Creations: The Quest For Origins in Story and Science Crown 1983
  284. Isaac Asimov Presents Superquiz II Dembner Books 1983
  285. Wizards NAL 1983
  286. Those Amazing Electronic Thinking Machines!: An Anthology of Robot and Computer Stories Franklin Watts 1983
  287. Computer Crimes and Capers Academy Chicago Pub. 1983
  288. Intergalactic Empires NAL 1983
  289. Machines That Think: The Best Science Stories About Robots and Computers Holt, Rinehart, & Winston 1983
  290. X Stands for Unknown Doubleday 1984
  291. One Hundred Great Fantasy Short-Short Stories Doubleday 1984
  292. Raintree Reading Series 3 Raintree 1984
  293. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 11: 1949 DAW Books 1984
  294. Witches NAL 1984
  295. Murder on the Menu Avon 1984
  296. Young Mutants Harper & Row 1984
  297. Isaac Asimov Presents the Best Science Fiction Firsts Beaufort Books 1984
  298. Norby's Other Secret Walker 1984
  299. How Did We Find Out About Computers? Walker 1984
  300. Opus 300 Houghton Mifflin 1984
  301. The Science Fictional Olympics NAL 1984
  302. Fantastic Reading: Stories & Activities for Grade 5-8 Scott Foresman & Co. 1984
  303. Banquets of the Black Widowers Doubleday 1984
  304. Election Day 2084: Science Fiction Stories on the Politics of the Future Prometheus Books 1984
  305. Isaac Asimov's Limericks for Children Caedmon 1984
  306. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 12: 1950 DAW Books 1984
  307. Young Extraterrestrials Harper & Row 1984
  308. Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space Bluejay Books 1984
  309. Asimov's New Guide to Science Basic Books 1984
  310. Supermen NAL 1984
  311. Baker's Dozen: 13 Short Fantasy Novels Crown 1984
  312. How Did We Find Out About Robots? Walker 1984
  313. Asimov's Guide to Halley's Comet Walker 1985
  314. Cosmic Knights NAL 1985
  315. The Hugo Winners, Volume IV Doubleday 1985
  316. Young Monsters Harper & Row 1985
  317. The Exploding Suns: The Secrets of the Supernovas E. P. Dutton 1985
  318. Norby and the Lost Princess Walker 1985
  319. Spells NAL 1985
  320. How Did We Find Out About the Atmosphere? Walker 1985
  321. Living in the Future Harmony House 1985
  322. Robots, Machines In Man's Image Harmony House 1985
  323. The Edge of Tomorrow Tor/Tom Doherty Associates 1985
  324. Great Science Fiction Stories by the World's Great Scientists Donald I. Fine 1985
  325. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 13: 1951 DAW Books 1985
  326. The Subatomic Monster Doubleday 1985
  327. The Disappearing Man and Other Mysteries Walker 1985
  328. Robots and Empire Doubleday 1985
  329. Amazing Stories: Sixty Years of the Best Science Fiction TSR Inc. 1985
  330. Young Ghosts Harper & Row 1985
  331. Baker's Dozen: Thirteen Short Science Fiction Novels Crown 1985
  332. It's Such a Beautiful Day Creative Education 1985
  333. Norby and the Invaders Walker 1985
  334. Giants NAL 1985
  335. How Did We Find Out About DNA? Walker 1985
  336. The Alternate Asimovs Doubleday 1986
  337. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 14: 1952 DAW Books 1986
  338. Comets NAL 1986
  339. Young Star Travelers Harper & Row 1986
  340. The Hugo Winners, Volume V Doubleday 1986
  341. The Dangers of Intelligence and Other Science Essays Houghton Mifflin 1986
  342. Mythical Beasties NAL 1986
  343. How Did We Find Out About the Speed of Light? Walker 1986
  344. Futuredays: A Nineteenth-Century Vision of the Year 2000 Henry Holt 1986
  345. Science Fiction by Asimov Davis Publications 1986
  346. Tin Stars NAL 1986
  347. The Best Science Fiction of Isaac Asimov Doubleday 1986
  348. The Best Mysteries of Isaac Asimov Doubleday 1986
  349. Foundation and Earth Doubleday 1986
  350. Robot Dreams Byron Preiss 1986
  351. Norby and the Queen's Necklace Walker 1986
  352. Magical Wishes NAL 1986
  353. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 15: 1953 DAW Books 1986
  354. Far as Human Eye Could See Doubleday 1987
  355. The Twelve Frights of Christmas Avon 1986
  356. How Did We Find Out About Blood? Walker 1987
  357. Past, Present, and Future Prometheus Books 1987
  358. Isaac Asimov Presents Superquiz III Dembner Books 1987
  359. How Did We Find Out About Sunshine? Walker 1987
  360. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 16: 1954 DAW Books 1987
  361. Young Witches and Warlocks Harper & Row 1987
  362. How to Enjoy Writing: A Book of Aid and Comfort Walker 1987
  363. Devils NAL 1987
  364. Norby Finds a Villain Walker 1987
  365. Fantastic Voyage II: Destination Brain Doubleday 1987
  366. Hound Dunnit Carroll & Graf 1987
  367. Space Shuttles NAL 1987
  368. How Did We Find Out About the Brain? Walker 1987
  369. Did Comets Kill the Dinosaurs? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1987
  370. Beginnings: The Story of Origins - of Mankind, Life, the Earth, the Universe Walker 1987
  371. Atlantis NAL 1988
  372. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 17: 1955 DAW Books 1988
  373. Asimov's Annotated Gilbert and Sullivan Doubleday 1988
  374. Isaac Asimov Presents From Harding to Hiroshima Dembner Books 1988
  375. How Did We Find Out About Superconductivity? Walker 1988
  376. Other Worlds of Isaac Asimov Avenel 1987
  377. Isaac Asimov's Book of Science and Nature Quotations Blue Cliff 1988
  378. The Relativity of Wrong Doubleday 1988
  379. Prelude to Foundation Doubleday 1988
  380. Encounters Headline 1988
  381. The Asteroids Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  382. The Earth's Moon Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  383. Mars: Our Mysterious Neighbor Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  384. Our Milky Way and Other Galaxies Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  385. Quasars, Pulsars, and Black Holes Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  386. Rockets, Probes, and Satellites Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  387. Our Solar System Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  388. The Sun Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  389. Uranus: The Sideways Planet Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  390. Isaac Asimov Presents the Best Crime Stories of the 19th Century Dembner Books 1988
  391. The Mammoth Book of Classic Science Fiction: Short Novels of the 1930's Carroll & Graf 1988
  392. Monsters NAL 1988
  393. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 18: 1956 DAW Books 1988
  394. Azazel Doubleday 1988
  395. Ghosts NAL 1988
  396. Saturn: The Ringed Beauty Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  397. How Was the Universe Born? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  398. Earth: Our Home Base Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  399. Ancient Astronomy Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  400. Unidentified Flying Objects Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  401. Space Spotter's Guide Gareth Stevens, Inc 1988
  402. Norby Down to Earth Walker 1988
  403. The Sport of Crime Lynx 1988
  404. How Did We Find Out About Microwaves? Walker 1989
  405. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 19: 1957 DAW Books 1989
  406. Asimov's Galaxy: Reflections on Science Fiction Doubleday 1989
  407. All the Troubles of the World Creative Education 1989
  408. Franchise Creative Education 1989
  409. Robbie Creative Education 1989
  410. Sally Creative Education 1989
  411. Isaac Asimov Presents Tales of the Occult Prometheus Books 1989
  412. Purr-fect Crime Lynx 1989
  413. Is There Life On Other Planets? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  414. Science Fiction, Science Fact Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  415. Mercury: The Quick Planet Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  416. Space Garbage Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  417. Jupiter: The Spotted Giant Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  418. The Birth and Death of Stars Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  419. The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov Dark Harvest 1989
  420. Robots NAL 1989
  421. Think About Space: Where Have We Been and Where Are We Going? Walker 1989
  422. Isaac Asimov Presents Superquiz IV Dembner Books 1989
  423. The Tyrannosaurus Prescription: and One Hundred Other Science Essays Prometheus Books 1989
  424. Asimov On Science: A 30 Year Retrospective 1959-1989 Doubleday 1989
  425. Visions of Fantasy: Tales From the Masters Doubleday 1989
  426. Nemesis Doubleday 1989
  427. Curses NAL 1989
  428. Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery Harper & Row 1989
  429. How Did We Find Out About Photosynthesis? Walker 1989
  430. The Complete Science Fair Handbook Scott Foresman & Co 1989
  431. Little Treasury of Dinosaurs (5 book set) Outlet 1989
  432. The New Hugo Winners Wynwood Press 1989
  433. Senior Sleuths: A Large Print Anthology of Mysteries and Puzzlers G. K. Hall & Co. 1989
  434. Norby and Yobo's Great Adventure Walker 1989
  435. Mythology and the Universe Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  436. Colonizing the Planets and the Stars Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  437. Astronomy Today Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  438. Pluto: A Double Planet? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  439. Piloted Space Flights Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  440. Comets and Meteors Gareth Stevens, Inc 1989
  441. The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Short Novels of the 1940's Carroll & Graf 1989
  442. Puzzles of the Black Widowers Doubleday 1990
  443. Norby and the Oldest Dragon Walker 1990
  444. Cosmic Critiques: How & Why Ten Science Fiction Stories Work Writer's Digest Books 1990
  445. Frontiers: new discoveries about man and his planet, outer space and the universe E. P. Dutton/Truman 1990
  446. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 20: 1958 DAW Books 1990
  447. Out of the Everywhere Doubleday 1990
  448. Robot Visions Byron Preiss 1990
  449. How Did We Find Out About Lasers? Walker 1990
  450. Neptune: The Farthest Giant Gareth Stevens, Inc 1990
  451. Venus: A Shrouded Mystery Gareth Stevens, Inc 1990
  452. The World's Space Programs Gareth Stevens, Inc 1990
  453. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 21: 1959 DAW Books 1990
  454. Nightfall Doubleday 1990
  455. Robots from Asimov's Davis Publications 1990
  456. Invasions Roc/Penguin Books 1990
  457. The Mammoth Book of Vintage Science Fiction: Short Novels of the 1950s Carroll & Graf 1990
  458. The Complete Stories Volume 1 Doubleday 1990
  459. The March of the Millennia: A Key To Looking At History Walker 1991
  460. The Secret of the Universe Doubleday 1991
  461. How Did We Find Out About Neptune? Walker 1990
  462. How Did We Find Out About Pluto? Walker 1991
  463. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 22: 1960 DAW Books 1991
  464. Atom: Journey Across the Subatomic Cosmos E. P. Dutton/Truman 1991
  465. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 23: 1961 DAW Books 1991
  466. Christopher Columbus: Navigator to the New World Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  467. What is a Shooting Star? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  468. Why Do Stars Twinkle? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  469. Why Does the Moon Change Shape? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  470. Why Do We Have Different Seasons? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  471. What is an Eclipse? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  472. Faeries Roc/Penguin Books 1991
  473. The Mammoth Book of New World Science Fiction: Short Novels of the 1960s Carroll & Graf 1991
  474. Isaac Asimov's Guide to Earth and Space Random House 1991
  475. Ferdinand Magellan: Opening the Door to World Exploration Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  476. Norby and the Court Jester Walker 1991
  477. Our Angry Earth: a Ticking Time Bomb Tor 1991
  478. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  479. Why Are Whales Vanishing? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  480. Is Our Planet Warming Up? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  481. Why Is the Air Dirty? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  482. Where Does Garbage Go? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  483. What Causes Acid Rain? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1991
  484. Asimov's Chronology of the World HarperCollins 1991
  485. Asimov Laughs Again: More Than 700 Favorite Jokes, Limericks, and Anecdotes HarperCollins 1992
  486. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 24: 1962 DAW Books 1992
  487. The New Hugo Winners, Volume II Baen Books 1992
  488. The Complete Stories Volume 2 Doubleday 1992
  489. Why Are Some Beaches Oily? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1992
  490. Why Are Animals Endangered? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1992
  491. What's Happening to the Ozone Layer? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1993
  492. Why Are the Rain Forests Vanishing? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1992
  493. Why Does Litter Cause Problems? Gareth Stevens, Inc 1992
  494. Isaac Asimov Presents the Great SF Stories, 25: 1963 DAW Books 1992
  495. The Mammoth Book of Fantastic Science Fiction: Short Novels of the 1970s Carroll & Graf 1992
  496. The Ugly Little Boy Doubleday 1992
  497. Forward the Foundation Doubleday 1993
  498. The Positronic Man Doubleday 1993
  499. The Mammoth Book of Modern Science Fiction: Short Novels of the 1980s Carroll & Graf 1993
  500. Frontiers II: more recent discoveries about life, Earth, space, and the universe E. P. Dutton/Truman 1993
  501. The Future in Space Gareth Stevens, Inc 1993
  502. I. Asimov: A memoir Doubleday 1994
  503. Gold HarperPrism 1995
  504. Yours, Isaac Asimov Doubleday 1995
  505. Magic HarperPrism 1996

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.