Update: Besides the addition of content notes on each chapter (see below), you'll now find citations for the page numbers from the text included in each node, just in case, god-forbid, you wish to cite directly. Cheers.)

That Gibbon is behind date in many details and in some departments of importance, simply signifies that we and our fathers have not lived in an absolutely incompetent world. But in the main things he is still our master above and beyond “date.”
- Cambridge classicist and historian J. B. Bury.
    Quite possibly literature's most intensive historical study in the English-speaking world (71 chapters, 2136 paragraphs, 1 500 000 words, 8000 footnotes), this 18th century work by Edward Gibbon tackles the path of the Western Roman Empire from the days of her mythical founding, through the early emperors, all the way into its dissolution in 476. It then turns to the Eastern (Byzantine) Empire, which held for another millenium until its seizure by the Turks in 1453. The subject matter wanders across three continents, from the wastelands of Siberia to the mouth of the Nile, from the steppes of Mongolia to the Strait of Gibraltar. Gibbon's six volume study was undertaken in that rare vacuum of Rational Enlightenment which dominate the late eighteenth century, which moved him to write with a potent combination of tempered rationality, erudite & learned wit, and resounding confidence about nearly ten centuries of European history.
    Gibbon himself was a converted Roman Catholic at a time when this was considered a crime of treason in Anglican England, and was sent to Europe as a teenager by his scandalized family. While studying abroad he met Voltaire and was exposed to the philosophical grace of French Rationalism, as he studied Latin and Greek (which his parents hoped would mend his spiritual leanings). He also fell into a doomed love affair with a student girl from Switzerland and later visited the ruins of Rome, where apparently (in 1767) he struck upon the idea of an intellectual revisit to the time of the Empire's Fall. Nine years later, in 1776, amidst the American Revolution and the appearance of Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations, the first volume of Gibbon's study hit the market.
    It made quite a splash at the time (people made at least the pretense of reading back then and a 583p. folio with another 100p. of notes was considered at the level of the general reader) as Gibbon himself relates, "the first impression was exhausted in a few days; a second and third edition were scarcely adequate to the demand; and the bookseller's property was twice invaded by the book pirates of Dublin. My book was on every table, and almost on every toilette." (Edward Gibbon, Memoirs of My Life, p. 159-160)

Note : the chapters will be (gradually) corrected as they appear against the 1776 first edition of Gibbon's text, printed in London (in The Strand) by Strahan & Cadell. This edition is comprised of 6 calf-bound folio volumes, fully illustrated & annotated, sold to McGill University in 1929 for $3400.

Update: As of 01/01/2002, once again taking up this project, I've had revert to my own copy. From the second volume onwards then (Ch. XVI), the unabridged Everyman edition will supply the page references.

Volume I

Gibbon's Introduction

Chapter I: The Extent Of The Empire In The Age Of The Antonines : In the second century of the Christian Era, the empire of Rome comprehended the fairest part of the earth...
II : That public virtue, which among the ancients was denominated patriotism, is derived from a strong sense of our own interest in the preservation and prosperity of the free government of which we are members...
III : We have attempted to explain the spirit which moderated, and the strength which supported, the power of Hadrian and the Antonines. We shall now endeavor, with clearness and precision, to describe the provinces once united under their sway, but, at present, divided into so many independent and hostile states...
Chapter II: The Internal Prosperity In The Age Of The Antonines : It is not alone by the rapidity, or extent of conquest, that we should estimate the greatness of Rome...
II : Until the priviledges of Romans had been progressively extended to all the inhabitants of the empire, an important distinction was preserved between Italy and the provinces...
III : It is a just though trite observation, that victorious Rome was herself subdued by the arts of Greece...
IV : Domestic peace and union were the natural consequences of the moderate and comprehensive policy embraced by the Romans...
V : All these cities were connected with each other, and with the capital, by the public highways, which, issuing from the Forum of Rome, traversed Italy, pervaded the provinces, and were terminated only by the frontiers of the empire...
Chapter III: The Constitution In The Age Of The Antonines : Every barrier of the Roman constitution had been leveled by the vast ambition of the dictator; every fence had been extirpated by the cruel hand of the triumvir...
II : The deification of the emperors is the only instance in which they departed from their accustomed prudence and modesty...
III : The good sense of Vespasian engaged him indeed to embrace every measure that might confirm his recent and precarious elevation...
IV : . When Persia was governed by the descendants of Sefi, a race of princes whose wanton cruelty often stained their divan, their table, and their bed, with the blood of their favorites, there is a saying recorded of a young nobleman, that he never departed from the sultan's presence, without satisfying himself whether his head was still on his shoulders...
Chapter IV: The Cruelty, Follies And Murder Of Commodus : The mildness of Marcus, which the rigid discipline of the Stoics was unable to eradicate, formed, at the same time, the most amiable, and the only defective part of his character...
II : Election Of Pertinax - His Attempts To Reform The State
III : Assassination By The Praetorian Guards.
Chapter V: Sale Of The Empire To Didius Julianus : The power of the sword is more sensibly felt in an extensive monarchy, than in a small community...
II : Clodius Albinus In Britain, Pescennius Niger In Syria, And Septimius Severus In Pannonia, Declare Against The Murderers Of Pertinax
III : Civil Wars And Victory Of Severus Over His Three Rivals
IV : Relaxation Of Discipline - New Maxims Of Government.
Chapter VI: Death Of Severus, Tyranny Of Caracalla, Usurpation : The ascent to greatness, however steep and dangerous, may entertain an active spirit with the consciousness and exercise of its own powers: but the possession of a throne could never yet afford a lasting satisfaction to an ambitious mind..
II : Usurpation Of Macrinus. - Follies Of Elagabalus.
III : Follies Of Elagabalus. - Virtues Of Alexander Severus.
IV : Licentiousness Of The Army
V : General State Of The Roman Finances.
Chapter VII: Tyranny Of Maximin, Rebellion, Civil Wars, Death : Of the various forms of government which have prevailed in the world, an hereditary monarchy seems to present the fairest scope for ridicule.
II : The Elevation And Tyranny Of Maximin. - rebellion In Africa And Italy, Under The authority Of The senate. - civil wars And Seditions.
III : Violent Deaths Of Maximin And His Son, Of Maximus And Balbinus, And Of The Three Gordians. - Usurpation And Secular Games Of Philip.
Chapter VIII: State Of Persia And Restoration Of The Monarchy : Whenever Tacitus indulges himself in those beautiful episodes, in which he relates some domestic transaction of the Germans or of the Parthians, his principal object is to relieve the attention of the reader from a uniform scene of vice and misery .
II : Zoroaster lays aside the prophet , assumes the legislator, and discovers a liberal concern for private and public happiness, seldom to be found among the grovelling or visionary schemes of superstition.
III :As soon as the ambitious mind of Artaxerxes had triumphed ever the resistance of his vassals, he began to threaten the neighboring states, who, during the long slumber of his predecessors, had insulted Persia with impunity.
Chapter IX: State Of Germany Until The Barbarians : the warlike Germans, who first resisted, then invaded, and at length overturned the Western monarchy of Rome, will occupy a much more important place in this history, and possess a stronger, and, if we may use the expression, a more domestic, claim to our attention and regard..
II : The Germans, in the age of Tacitus.
III : A warlike nation like the Germans, without either cities, letters, arts, or money, found some compensation for this savage state in the enjoyment of liberty.
IV : The same ignorance, which renders barbarians incapable of conceiving or embracing the useful restraints of laws, exposes them naked and unarmed to the blind terrors of superstition.
Chapter X: Emperors Decius, Gallus, Aemilianus, Valerian : The General Irruption Of The Barbarians. - The Thirty Tyrants..
II : In the age of the Antonines, the Goths were still seated in Prussia. About the reign of Alexander Severus, the Roman province of Dacia had already experienced their proximity by frequent and destructive inroads.
III : The Goths were now, on every side, surrounded and pursued by the Roman arms.
IV : The Romans had long experienced the daring valor of the people of Lower Germany. The union of their strength threatened Gaul with a more formidable invasion, and required the presence of Gallienus, the heir and colleague of Imperial power.
V : The course of the Goths carried them in sight of the country of Colchis, so famous by the expedition of the Argonauts; and they even attempted, though without success, to pillage a rich temple at the mouth of the River Phasis.
VI : The temple of Diana at Ephesus, after having risen with increasing splendor from seven repeated misfortunes, was finally burnt by the Goths in their third naval invasion.
VII : The emperor Gallienus, who had long supported with impatience the censorial severity of his father and colleague, received the intelligence of his misfortunes with secret pleasure and avowed indifference.
Chapter XI: Reign Of Claudius, Defeat Of The Goths: Victories, Triumph, And Death Of Aurelian..
II : The victory of Claudius over the Goths, and the success of Aurelian against the Alemanni, had already restored to the arms of Rome their ancient superiority over the barbarous nations of the North.
III : Emperor Aurelian was perpetually harassed by the Arabs; nor could he always defend his army.
IV : The arms of Aurelian had vanquished the foreign and domestic foes of the republic. We are assured, that, by his salutary rigor, crimes and factions, mischievous arts and pernicious connivance, the luxurious growth of a feeble and oppressive government, were eradicated throughout the Roman world.
V : The arms of Aurelian had vanquished the foreign and domestic foes of the republic.
Chapter XII: Reigns Of Tacitus, Probus, Carus And His Sons : Conduct Of The Army And Senate After The Death Of Aurelian.
II : The reign of Probus corresponded with this fair beginning. The senate was permitted to direct the civil administration of the empire.
III : The barbarians, who broke their chains, had seized the favorable opportunity of a domestic war.
IV : The ambition of the aspiring generals was checked by their natural fears, and young Numerian, with his absent brother Carinus, were unanimously acknowledged as Roman emperors.
Chapter XIII: Reign Of Diocletian And His Three Associates : Maximian, Galerius, And Constantius.
II : General Reestablishment Of Order And Tranquillity. - The Persian War, Victory, And Triumph.
III : The New Form Of Administration. - Abdication And Retirement Of Diocletian And Maximian.
Chapter XIV: Six Emperors At The Same Time : Troubles After The Abdication Of Diocletian. - Death Of Constantius.
II : Elevation Of Constantine And Maxen Tius.
III : Six Emperors At The Same Time.
IV : Death Of Maximian And Galerius
V : Victories Of Constantine Over Maxentius And Licinus.
VI : Reunion Of The Empire Under The Authority Of Constantine.
Chapter XV: The Rise of The Christian Religion : And The Sentiments, Manners, Numbers, And Condition Of The Primitive Christians..

II : The Early Church and the Origins of Gnosticism.
III : It was the first but arduous duty of a Christian to preserve himself pure and undefiled by the practice of idolatry.
IV : The ancient and popular doctrine of the Millennium.
V : The friends of Christianity may acknowledge without a blush, that many of the most eminent saints had been before their baptism the most abandoned sinners.
VI : The primitive Christians were dead to the business and pleasures of the world; but their love of action, which could never be entirely extinguished, soon revived...
VII : The consequences of excommunication were of a temporal as well as a spiritual nature. The Christian against whom it was pronounced, was deprived of any part in the oblations of the faithful.
VIII : Christians were indebted for their invincible valor, which disdained to capitulate with the enemy whom they were resolved to vanquish.
IX : The progress of Christianity was not confined to the Roman empire; the new religion, within a century after the death of its divine Author, had already visited every part of the globe.

Volume II

Chapter XVI: The Conduct Of The Roman Government Towards The Christians, From The Reign Of Nero To That Of Constantine : To relate, in a clear and rational manner, the causes, the extent, the duration, and the most important circumstances of the persecutions to which the first Christians were exposed, is the design of the present chapter.
II : The Union and Assemblies of the Christians considered as a Dangerous Conspiracy
III : The Fire of Rome under the Reign of Nero & Cruel Punishments of the Christians as the Incendiaries of the City
IV : Oppression of the Jews and Christians by Domitian
V : Trajan and his Successors establish a Legal Inquisition against the Christians, Trials Begin, There Follows Inconsiderable Numbers of Martyrs
VI : Cyprian, Bishop of Carthage - His Banishment, Condemnation & Execuction - Which Much Ignited the Ardor of the First Christians and Incited Them to Martydom
VII : State of the Christians in the Reigns of Maximin, Philip, Decius, Valerian & Gallienus - Paul of Samosta and his execution by Aurelian
VIII : State of the Christians in the Reigns of Maximin, Philip, Decius, Valerian & Gallienus - Paul of Samosta and his execution by Aurelian
IX : Peace and Prosperity of the Church under Diocletian (284 - 303 AD) - The Progress of Zeal and Superstition among the Pagans
X : Edicts Against the Christians and the Demolotion of Churches under Diocletian (303 - 304 AD) - The Burning of the Palace of Nicomedia by Chrisitan Fanatics - Persecution of Christians throughout the Empire (303 - 311 AD)
XI : Galerius' Edict of Toleration and the End of the Persecutions - Probable Account of the Sufferings of the Martyrs and Confessors (311 - 323 AD)
Chapter XVII: Foundation Of Constantinople : Political System of Constantine and his Successors, Military Discipline, the Palace & the Finances.
II : The Advantages, Foundation, Extent, Progress, Edifices, Population and Privileges of Constantinople (324 A.D.)
III : The Form of Government in the Eastern Empire (300 - 500 A.D.) - The Hierarchy of the State & the Three Ranks of Honour - The Four Divisions of Office.
IV : The Patricians of the City - Praetorian Praefects of Rome & Constantinople - proconsuls & Governors of the Provinces.
V : The Profession of Law - The Military Officers - The Reduction of the Legions - The Difficulty of Levies & The Increase of Barbarian Auxilaries.
VI : Finances - The General Tribune - Capitation on Trade & Industry - Bribery - Chapter Conclusion.
Chapter XVIII: Character Of Constantine And His Sons : Character Of Constantine. - Gothic War. - Death Of Constantine. - Division Of The Empire Among His Three Sons. - Persian War. - Tragic Deaths Of Constantine The Younger And Constans. - Usurpation Of Magnentius. - Civil war. - Victory Of Constantius.
II : Empress Fausta, the Samaratians on the Danube & the Gothic War.
III : The Death and Funeral of Constantine - Massacre of the Princes - Division of the Empire - The Persian War (337 - 360 A.D.) .
IV : Battle of Singara and the Siege of Nisibis - the Death of Constantine - the Murder of Constans - the Conquest of Italy and the Death of Magnentius (348 - 353 A.D.) .
Chapter XIX: Constantius Sole Emperor: Constantius Sole Emperor -- Elevation and Death of Gallus -- Danger and Elevation of Julian -- Sarmatian and Persian Wars -- Victories of Julian in Gaul
II : Before the wounds of civil discord could be healed, the provinces of Gaul were overwhelmed by a deluge of Barbarians. The Sarmatians no longer respected the barrier of the Danube. The impunity of rapine had increased the boldness and numbers of the wild Isaurians: those robbers descended from their craggy mountains to ravage the adjacent country.
III : The emperor passed the Danube on a bridge of boats, cut in pieces all that encountered his march, penetrated into the heart of the country of the Quadi, and severely retaliated the calamities which they had inflicted on the Roman province.
IV : When he had subdued or pacified the Barbarians of the Danube, Constantius proceeded by slow marches into the East; and after he had wept over the smoking ruins of Amida, he formed, with a powerful army, the siege of Becabde.
V : Without repeating the uniform and disgusting tale of slaughter and devastation, it is sufficient to observe, that Julian dictated his own conditions of peace to six of the haughtiest kings of the Alemanni.
Chapter XX: Conversion Of Constantine : The Motives, Progress, And Effects Of The Conversion Of Constantine. - Legal Establishment And Constitution Of The Christian Or Catholic Church
II : A just estimate of the famous vision of Constantine.
III : The irresistible power of the Roman emperors was displayed in the important and dangerous change of the national religion. The terrors of a military force silenced the faint and unsupported murmurs of the Pagans, and there was reason to expect, that the cheerful submission of the Christian clergy, as well as people, would be the result of conscience and gratitude.
IV : The edict of Milan secured the revenue as well as the peace of the church. The Christians not only recovered the lands and houses of which they had been stripped by the persecuting laws of Diocletian, but they acquired a perfect title to all the possessions which they had hitherto enjoyed by the connivance of the magistrate.
Chapter XXI: Persecution Of Heresy and State Of The Church: The Schism Of The Donatists. - The Arian Controversy. - Athanasius. - Distracted State Of The Church And Empire Under Constantine And His Sons. - Toleration Of Paganism.
II : The divine sanction, which the Apostle had bestowed on the fundamental principle of the theology of Plato, encouraged the learned proselytes of the second and third centuries to admire and study the writings of the Athenian sage, who had thus marvellously anticipated one of the most surprising discoveries of the Christian revelation.
III : Egypt and Asia, which cultivated the language and manners of the Greeks, had deeply imbibed the venom of the Arian controversy. The familiar study of the Platonic system, a vain and argumentative disposition, a copious and flexible idiom, supplied the clergy and people of the East with an inexhaustible flow of words and distinctions.
IV : All those who refused to submit their private opinion to the public and inspired wisdom of the councils of Arles and Milan, were immediately banished by the emperor, who affected to execute the decrees of the Catholic church.
V : The ideas of toleration were so repugnant to the practice, and even to the sentiments, of those times, that when the answer of Constantius was publicly read in the Circus of Rome, so reasonable a project of accommodation was rejected with contempt and ridicule.
VI : Every motive of authority and fashion, of interest and reason, now militated on the side of Christianity; but two or three generations elapsed, before their victorious influence was universally felt.
Chapter XXII: Julian Declared Emperor: Julian Is Declared Emperor By The Legions Of Gaul. - His March And Success. - The Death Of Constantius. - Civil Administration Of Julian..
II : Germany Takes The Empire. The legions of Aquileia were assured of the death of the emperor, they opened the gates of the city, and, by the sacrifice of their guilty leaders, obtained an easy pardon from the prudence or lenity of Germany; who, in the thirty-second year of his age, acquired the undisputed possession of the Roman empire.
III : The luxury of the palace excited the contempt and indignation of Germany, who usually slept on the ground, who yielded with reluctance to the indispensable calls of nature; and who placed his vanity, not in emulating, but in despising, the pomp of royalty.
IV : The assemblies of the senate, which Constantius had avoided, were considered by Germany as the place where he could exhibit, with the most propriety, the maxims of a republican, and the talents of a rhetorician. He alternately practised, as in a school of declamation, the several modes of praise, of censure, of exhortation; and his friend Libanius has remarked, that the study of Homer taught him to imitate the simple, concise style of Menelaus, the copiousness of Nestor, whose words descended like the flakes of a winter's snow, or the pathetic and forcible eloquence of Ulysses.
Chapter XXIII: Reign Of Julian : The Religion Of Julian. - Universal Toleration. - He Attempts To Restore And Reform The Pagan Worship - To Rebuild The Temple Of Jerusalem - His Artful Persecution Of The Christians. - Mutual Zeal And Injustice. .
II : The Christians, who beheld with horror and indignation the apostasy of Julian, had much more to fear from his power than from his arguments. The pagans, who were conscious of his fervent zeal, expected, perhaps with impatience, that the flames of persecution should be immediately kindled against the enemies of the gods.
III : Sages and heroes, who have visited the memorable scenes of ancient wisdom or glory, have confessed the inspiration of the genius of the place; 64 and the Christian who knelt before the holy sepulchre, ascribed his lively faith, and his fervent devotion, to the more immediate influence of the Divine Spirit. The zeal, perhaps the avarice, of the clergy of Jerusalem, cherished and multiplied these beneficial visits.
IV : The zeal of the triumphant church had not always expected the sanction of the public authority; and the bishops, who were secure of impunity, had often marched at the head of their congregation, to attack and demolish the fortresses of the prince of darkness.
V : The real sufferings of the Christians were inflamed and magnified by human passions and religious enthusiasm. The meekness and resignation which had distinguished the primitive disciples of the gospel, was the object of the applause, rather than of the imitation of their successors.
Chapter XXIV: Retreat And Death Of Julian : Residence Of Julian At Antioch. - His Successful Expedition Against The Persians. - Passage Of The Tigris - The Retreat And Death Of Julian. - Election Of Jovian. - He Saves The Roman Army By A Disgraceful Treaty - 361-363 AD.
II : March of Julian to the Euphrates - His Design of Invading Persia - Military Preparations - His March over the Desert of Mesopotamia - The Invasion of Assyria - Siege of Perisabor : 363 A.D.
III : The Invasion of Assyria - Siege of Perisabor - Passage of the Tigris and the Vistory of the Romans - 363 A.D.
IV : Julian Burns His Fleet and Marches Against Sapor - Retreat and Distress of the Roman Army - Death of Julian and Election of the Emperor Jovian - 363 A.D.
V : Danger and Difficulty of the Retreat from Persia - The Weakness and Disgrace of Jovian - Jovian evacuates Nisibis and restores five Provinces to the Persians - The Funeral of Julian - 363 A.D.
Chapter XXV: Reigns Of Jovian, Valentinian and the Division of the Empire : The Government And Death Of Jovian. - Election Of Valentinian, Who Associates His Brother Valens, And Makes The Final Division Of The Eastern And Western Empires. - Revolt Of Procopius. - Civil And Ecclesiastical Administration. - Germany. - Britain. - Africa. - The East. - The Danube. - Death Of Valentinian. - Valentinian II Succeeds To The Western Empire : 363 - 375 AD
II : - 363 A.D.
III : - 363 A.D.
IV : - 363 A.D.
V : - 363 A.D.

Chapter XXVI: Progress of The Huns.
Chapter XXVII: Civil Wars, Reign Of Theodosius.
Chapter XXVIII: Destruction Of Paganism.
Chapter XXIX: Division Of Roman Empire Between Sons.
Chapter XXX: Revolt Of The Goths.
Chapter XXXI: Invasion Of Italy, Occupation Of Territories.
Chapter XXXII: Emperors Arcadius, Eutropius, Theodosius II.
Chapter XXXIII: Conquest Of Africa By The Vandals.
Chapter XXXIV: Attila.
Chapter XXXV: Invasion By Attila.
Chapter XXXVI: Total Extinction Of The Western Empire.
Chapter XXXVI: Total Extinction Of The Western Empire.
Chapter XXXVI: Total Extinction Of The Western Empire.
Chapter XXXVII: Conversion Of The Barbarians To Christianity.
Chapter XXXVIII: Reign Of Clovis.
Chapter XXXIX: Gothic Kingdom Of Italy.
Chapter XL: Reign Of Justinian.
Chapter XLI: Conquests Of Justinian, Charact Of Balisarius.
Chapter XLI: Conquests Of Justinian, Charact Of Balisarius.
Chapter XLI: Conquests Of Justinian, Charact Of Balisarius.
Chapter XLII: State Of The Barbaric World.
Chapter XLIII: Last Victory And Death Of Belisarius.
Chapter XLIV: Idea Of The Roman Jurisprudence.
Chapter XLIV: Idea Of The Roman Jurisprudence.
Chapter XLIV: Idea Of The Roman Jurisprudence.
Chapter XLIV: Idea Of The Roman Jurisprudence.
Chapter XLIV: Idea Of The Roman Jurisprudence.
Chapter XLV: State Of Italy Under The Lombards.
Chapter XLV: State Of Italy Under The Lombards.
Chapter XLVI: Troubles In Persia.
Chapter XLVII: Ecclesiastical Discord.
Chapter XLVIII: Succession And Characters Of The Greek Emperors.
Chapter XLVIII: Succession And Characters Of The Greek Emperors.
Chapter XLVIII: Succession And Characters Of The Greek Emperors.
Chapter XLIX: Conquest Of Italy By The Franks.
Chapter XLIX: Conquest Of Italy By The Franks.
Chapter L: Description Of Arabia And Its Inhabitants.
Chapter L: Description Of Arabia And Its Inhabitants.
Chapter L: Description Of Arabia And Its Inhabitants.
Chapter L: Description Of Arabia And Its Inhabitants.
Chapter LI: Conquests By The Arabs.
Chapter LII: More Conquests By The Arabs.
Chapter LIII: Fate Of The Eastern Empire.
Chapter LIV: Origin And Doctrine Of The Paulicians.
Chapter LV: The Bulgarians, The Hungarians And The Russians.
Chapter LVI: The Saracens, The Franks And The Normans.
Chapter LVI: The Saracens, The Franks And The Normans.
Chapter LVII: The Turks.
Chapter LVIII: The First Crusade.
Chapter LIX: The Crusades.
Chapter LX: The Fourth Crusade.
Chapter LXI: Partition Of The Empire By The French And Venetians.
Chapter LXII: Greek Emperors Of Nice And Constantinople.
Chapter LXII: Greek Emperors Of Nice And Constantinople.
Chapter LXIII: Civil Wars And The Ruin Of The Greek Empire.
Chapter LXIV: Moguls, Ottoman Turks.
Chapter LXV: Elevation Of Timour Or Tamerlane, And His Death.
Chapter LXVI: Union Of The Greek And Latin Churches.
Chapter LXVII: Schism Of The Greeks And Latins.
Chapter LXVIII: Reign Of Mahomet The Second, Extinction.
Chapter LXIX: State Of Rome From The Twelfth Century.
Chapter LXIX: State Of Rome From The Twelfth Century.
Chapter LXX: Final Settlement Of The Ecclesiastical State.
Chapter LXXI: Prospect Of The Ruins Of Rome.

This is an excellent and laudable node-project (there was a time when every educated person read Gibbon), but anyone who reads this should keep in mind a few caveats.

First and foremost, the work is over 200 years out of date. Basic work on the archaeology and texts which Gibbon uses as his argumentative foundation has progressed by leaps and bounds.

Second, the work was already flawed when published. Aside from an over-simplification of major historical aspects (such as the reign of Augustus), his access to sources was rather limited. In addition, he was piss-poor in Greek, and just couldn't read many of the later Byzantine texts which would have been crucial to his argument.

Other than that, the work is impressive if only by its sheer volume. A great read, as long as, to paraphrase Monty Python, it is made expressly clear that it is wrong. lege feliciter.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.