A popular way of putting works about the same subject in roughly the same place on the shelf. Even if you don't find the book you were looking for, you'll be in the neighborhood of other books on related topics.

The Dewey Decimal System is used to encode the main subject of a work. Other subjects, no matter how important they may be, are not usually represented in the Dewey Decimal System number.

Dewey Decimal trivia: 999 stands for "extraterrestrial worlds".

The biases of the founders of this system are clearly evident in some of the sections of the numberspace. The religion section is particularly egregious -- it devotes lots of space to one section after another about various aspects of Christianity, then lumps everything else together in the final section, "Other Religions." The language section similarly gives most of its space to languages in the Indo-European group, shoving everything else together in a small remnant space. Fortunately, such biases are not fatal flaws in the system, since the numberspace is infinitely divisible by adding more decimal places on to the right end, allowing a flawed set of original categories to be evolved into something more ecumenical.

The Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) system, created by Melvil Dewey and first published in 1876, is the most commonly used library classification system in the world. About 95% of public libraries and public school libraries in the United States use the DDC. While the DDC is thought to not be sufficient for the fine level of detail needed for large academic libraries, which mostly use the Library of Congress Classification System (LC), still about 20% of US college and university libraries employ it.

Structure

Dewey was a strong advocate of the metric system and designed his classification system along those lines. The hierarchical structure of the DDC divides human knowledge into 10 broad classes based on academic disciplines or fields of study. Each of those classes is subdivided into 10 divisions, and each division is further divided into 10 sections. Further subdivisions are made as necessary.

The 10 main classes are:

000 - Generalities
100 - Philosophy & psychology
200 - Religion
300 - Social sciences
400 - Language
500 - Natural sciences & mathematics
600 - Technology (Applied sciences)
700 - The arts
800 - Literature & Rhetoric
900 - Geography & history

Follow the link for each class to find the divisions and sections.

As in every library classification system, each book is assigned a call number. Each call number consists of a three-digit number denoting the class, division, and section. This number is followed by a decimal point and more numbers indicating further subdivisions. For example, the field of Euclidean geometry is assigned the number 516.372. This breaks down as follows:

500 Natural sciences and mathematics
   510 Mathematics
       516 Geometry
           516.3 Analytic geometries
               516.37 Metric differential geometries
                   516.372 Euclidean geometry

Often, the call number is followed by a Cutter number or other form of author notation which distinguishes the book from other titles within the same specific field of study. The use of Cutter numbers, etc. is not limited to the DDC. The author notation is usually an arbitrary number referring to the alphabetical order of the name of the author, or sometimes the letters themselves are used.

Strengths

The proof is in the pudding: the DDC has survived a hundred years of intensive use and its popularity around the world proves that it fulfils its purpose. The metric-based hierarchical system is easy to learn, and children can master it while college educated adults often wander the stacks bewildered by the intricate LC classification system. One can master as much or as little of the DDC as one wants and still be able to navigate the stacks effectively. While it is inadequate for large research libraries, the DDC is probably ideal for the public library and general library patrons.

Weaknesses

The DDC is often accused of being ethnocentric, and, well, it is. The fact that all non-Christian religions are dumped into the 290 section for "other" is proof enough. The design of other classes indicates a clear Anglo-American bias.

The rigid hierarchical system makes it difficult to shoehorn in developing new fields of knowledge (say, computers). The design is often nonsensical, as related disciplines are sometimes separated and unrelated disciples are combined, such as including psychology under philosophy in the 100s. The overall design represents the outmoded world view of the 19th century.

History

Melvil Dewey designed the DDC in 1873 while working at the Amherst College library. Traditionally, libraries had operated using the fixed location method, where you stuck a book on the shelf and your catalog referred to where it was on the shelf. Dewey’s great innovation was to organize the books in relationship to one another, by their academic discipline and not by the accident of fate that led them to wherever they ended up on the shelf. It was a common system that could unify libraries, so you could look in the same relative location in different libraries and find the same book, previously an impossibility.

Dewey based the broad division of classes on a 1870 classification system devised by one W.T. Harris, who himself had based it upon the ideas of philosopher Francis Bacon. Bacon divided human knowledge into three broad areas: history, poesy, and philosophy. Harris subdivided those three areas into 12 areas, which Dewey narrowed to 10.

Dewey, who died in 1931, supervised revisions of the DDC up until the 13th. (The ever quirky Dewey was an advocate of simplifying the spelling of English, and published editions reflected his ideas, no doubt much to the frustration of librarians everywhere.) The 15th edition (1951) was almost the last, as drastic changes in the structure and pruning of detailed subdivisions frustrated librarians. Faced with the task of a major overhaul of their catalogs and stacks, many librarians rejected the changes out of hand. Keeping the hard-learned lessons in mind, later revisions of the DDC and other classification systems came at a slower and more manageable pace, at the price of not being able to change as quickly as time and history does.

The DDC is currently in its 21st edition (1996), with the 22nd to come in 2003. The DDC is currently maintained by the Library of Congress and published by Forest Press, a division of OCLC.


The primary source (aside from library school and years of library use) is Cataloging and Classification by Lois Mai Chan, 1994.

Thanks to Sir Tim Berners-Lee's World-Wide Web, anyone armed with little more than a lot of computer knowledge, an Internet connection and some free software can set up a website free for anyone to use. Each site can contain an essentially unlimited amount of information on any topic its administrator chooses. If you want to, you can set up a website to disseminate the kind of knowledge previously only attainable from a public library.

One of the problems with this unlimited ability to store and communicate information is filtering out what you need to know from the vast multitudes of trivia that are constantly vying for your attention. In the context of setting up a website to replicate the functionality of a public library, we need look no further than the original tangible places to see the solution their administrators came up with.

In his August 2007 speech The Deep History of the Information Age, Alex Wright gives a pretty interesting overview of various people's attempts to solve this problem over the ages.

The most popular method of categorising information was published by Melvil Dewey in his gripping 1876 page-turner A Classification and Subject Index for Cataloguing and Arranging the Books and Pamphlets of a Library. This is the system familiar to pretty much anyone who's used a public library. According to Wikipedia, which is itself a website that stores vast amounts of knowledge, there are 200,000 libraries in at least 135 countries that use modern variants of Dewey's system of classification.

Based upon the previous work of Sir Francis Bacon (of "knowledge is power" fame) and William Torrey Harris, Dewey's original system grouped the sum of all human knowledge into ten broad categories, each of which was further subdivided into another ten, then again into another ten, giving any conceivable topic a handy three digit reference number. For example, science is number 500 (and therefore any number beginning with a 5), and within it, astronomy is 520 (and anything beginning with 52), and 522 in particular is practical astronomy.

Dewey's system was far from perfect. It focused mostly on knowledge that would interest an American in the nineteenth century, which often seems laughable or at least lamentable in this era of globalisation.

It has since been updated many times in order to rectify this, but I'm concerning myself with the original 1876 list of categories, flawed as they are, for one simple reason: as long as you don't mention its name, Dewey's system of classification is in the public domain, so you're free to use the system on your own websites. Indeed, you could even use it for your own bookshelves should you actually have enough books to warrant it. Using a more recent version of the list, or declaring yourself to be using Dewey's system by name, is not advisable for legal reasons.

Thankfully, the original book listing all the categories in the first version of Dewey's system has been published by Project Gutenberg, which is itself a website that houses over 30,000 books that anyone is free to download and read at their leisure.

It didn't take me too long to devour the list of categories presented in this book, and mangle them into a computer-friendly format. I present them here for your own use, in the hope that more websites might spring up that present vast sums of human knowledge in a way that is somewhat easy to navigate.

Here's the data in the form of tab separated values:

ID	Parent	Level	Category name

000	NULL	1	General
010	000	2	Bibliography
011	010	3	General Bibliographies
012	010	3	Special Forms
013	010	3	Special Forms: Manuscripts
014	010	3	Special Forms: Anonyms, Pseudonyms, etc.
015	010	3	Special Countries
016	010	3	Special Subjects
017	010	3	Subject Catalogues
018	010	3	Authors' Catalogues
019	010	3	Library Economy and Reports
020	000	2	Book Rarities
021	020	3	Manuscripts
022	020	3	Block Books
023	020	3	Early Printed
024	020	3	Celebrated Printers
025	020	3	Celebrated Binders
026	020	3	Materials
027	020	3	Ownership
028	020	3	Prohibited
029	020	3	Other
030	000	2	General Cyclopedias
031	030	3	American
032	030	3	English
033	030	3	German
034	030	3	French
035	030	3	Italian
036	030	3	Spanish
037	030	3	Slavic
038	030	3	Scandinavian
039	030	3	Other
040	000	2	Polygraphy
041	040	3	American
042	040	3	English
043	040	3	German
044	040	3	French
045	040	3	Italian
046	040	3	Spanish
047	040	3	Slavic
048	040	3	Scandinavian
049	040	3	Other
050	000	2	General Periodicals
051	050	3	American
052	050	3	English
053	050	3	German
054	050	3	French
055	050	3	Italian
056	050	3	Spanish
057	050	3	Slavic
058	050	3	Scandinavian
059	050	3	Other
060	000	2	General Societies
061	060	3	American
062	060	3	English
063	060	3	German
064	060	3	French
065	060	3	Italian
066	060	3	Spanish
067	060	3	Slavic
068	060	3	Scandinavian
069	060	3	Other
100	NULL	1	Philosophy
102	100	3	Compends
103	100	3	Dictionaries
104	100	3	Essays
105	100	3	Periodicals
106	100	3	Societies
107	100	3	Education
109	100	3	History
110	100	2	Metaphysics
111	110	3	Ontology
112	110	3	Methodology
113	110	3	Cosmology
130	100	2	Anthropology
131	130	3	Mental Physiology and Hygiene
132	130	3	Mental Derangements
133	130	3	Delusions, Witchcraft, Magic
134	130	3	Mesmerism
135	130	3	Sleep, Dreams, Somnambulism
136	130	3	Sexes
137	130	3	Temperaments
138	130	3	Physiognomy
139	130	3	Phrenology
140	100	2	Schools of Psychology
141	140	3	Idealistic
142	140	3	Critical
143	140	3	Intuitive
144	140	3	Empirical
145	140	3	Sensational
146	140	3	Materialistic
147	140	3	Pantheistic
148	140	3	Eclectic
149	140	3	Other
150	100	2	Mental Faculties
151	150	3	Intellect
152	150	3	Sense
153	150	3	Understanding
154	150	3	Memory
155	150	3	Reason
156	150	3	Imagination
157	150	3	Susceptibility
158	150	3	Instincts
159	150	3	Will
160	100	2	Logic
161	160	3	Inductive
162	160	3	Deductive
163	160	3	Assent
170	100	2	Ethics
171	170	3	Theoretical
172	170	3	State
173	170	3	Family
174	170	3	Business
175	170	3	Amusements
176	170	3	Sexual
177	170	3	Social
178	170	3	Temperance
179	170	3	Other
180	100	2	Ancient Philosophies
181	180	3	Oriental
182	180	3	Early Greek
183	180	3	Sophistic and Socratic
184	180	3	Platonic
185	180	3	Aristotelian
186	180	3	Pyrrhonist and New Platonist
187	180	3	Epicurean
188	180	3	Stoic
189	180	3	Patristic
190	100	2	Modern Philosophies
191	190	3	Scotch and American
192	190	3	English
193	190	3	German
194	190	3	French
195	190	3	Italian
196	190	3	Spanish
197	190	3	Arabian
198	190	3	Scholastic
199	190	3	Other
200	NULL	1	Theology
201	200	3	Philosophy
202	200	3	Compends
203	200	3	Dictionaries
204	200	3	Essays
205	200	3	Periodicals
206	200	3	Societies
207	200	3	Education
209	200	3	History
210	200	2	Natural Theology
211	210	3	Theism and Atheism
212	210	3	Pantheism
213	210	3	Creation
214	210	3	Providence
215	210	3	Religion and Science
216	210	3	Evil
217	210	3	Prayer
218	210	3	Future Life
220	200	2	Bible
221	220	3	Old Testament
222	220	3	Old Testament: Historical Books
223	220	3	Old Testament: Poetical Books
224	220	3	Old Testament: Prophetical Books
225	220	3	New Testament
226	220	3	New Testament: Gospels and Acts
227	220	3	New Testament: Epistles
228	220	3	New Testament: Apocalypse
229	220	3	Apocrypha
230	200	2	Doctrinal Theology
231	230	3	God
232	230	3	Christ
233	230	3	Man
234	230	3	Salvation
235	230	3	Angels
236	230	3	Death and Resurrection
237	230	3	Future State
238	230	3	Inspiration
239	230	3	Apologetics
240	200	2	Practical and Devotional
241	240	3	Didactic
242	240	3	Meditative
243	240	3	Hortatory
244	240	3	Ritual
245	240	3	Hymnology
246	240	3	Public Worship
247	240	3	Social Worship
248	240	3	Private Worship
249	240	3	Religious Fiction and Anecdote
250	200	2	Homiletical and Pastoral
251	250	3	Homiletics
252	250	3	Sermons
253	250	3	Sermons: Doctrinal
254	250	3	Sermons: Practical
255	250	3	Sermons: Religion and Science
256	250	3	Sermons: Political
257	250	3	Sermons: Ordination
258	250	3	Sermons: Expository
259	250	3	Sermons: Commemorative
260	200	2	Institutions and Missions
261	260	3	Church
262	260	3	Church: Ecclesiastical Polity
263	260	3	Sabbath
264	260	3	Baptism
265	260	3	Lord's Supper
266	260	3	Missions
267	260	3	Missions: Foreign
268	260	3	Sunday Schools
269	260	3	Revivals
270	200	2	Ecclesiastical History
271	270	3	Religious Orders
272	270	3	Persecutions
273	270	3	Doctrines
274	270	3	Europe
275	270	3	Asia
276	270	3	Africa
277	270	3	North America
278	270	3	South America
279	270	3	Oceanica
280	200	2	Christian Sects
281	280	3	Oriental
282	280	3	Roman Catholic
283	280	3	English and Protestant Episcopal
284	280	3	Presbyterian
285	280	3	Congregational
286	280	3	Baptist
287	280	3	Methodist
288	280	3	Unitarian and Universalist
289	280	3	Other Christian Sects
290	200	2	Non-Christian Religions
291	290	3	Comparative Mythology
292	290	3	Greek and Roman Mythology
293	290	3	Norse Mythology
294	290	3	Brahmanism and Buddhism
295	290	3	Parseeism
296	290	3	Judaism
297	290	3	Mohammedanism
298	290	3	Mormonism
299	290	3	Other
300	NULL	1	Sociology
301	300	3	Philosophy
302	300	3	Compends
303	300	3	Dictionaries
304	300	3	Essays
305	300	3	Periodicals
306	300	3	Societies
309	300	3	History
310	300	2	Statistics
311	310	3	Methods
312	310	3	Progress of Population
313	310	3	Progress of Civilization
314	310	3	Europe
315	310	3	Asia
316	310	3	Africa
317	310	3	North America
318	310	3	South America
319	310	3	Oceanica
320	300	2	Political Science
321	320	3	Patriarchal Institutions
322	320	3	Feudal Institutions
323	320	3	Monarchic Institutions
324	320	3	Republican Institutions
325	320	3	Colonies and Emigration
326	320	3	Slavery
327	320	3	Foreign and Domestic Relations
328	320	3	Legislative Annals
329	320	3	Political Essays and Speeches
330	300	2	Political Economy
331	330	3	Capital and Labor
332	330	3	Banks and Money
333	330	3	Stocks, Rents, and Income
334	330	3	Credit and Interest
335	330	3	Communism
336	330	3	Public Funds and Taxation
337	330	3	Protection and Free Trade
338	330	3	Production
339	330	3	Pauperism
340	300	2	Law
341	340	3	International
342	340	3	Constitutional and Administrative
343	340	3	Statute and Common
344	340	3	Equity
345	340	3	Criminal
346	340	3	Maritime
347	340	3	Martial
348	340	3	Civil and Canon
349	340	3	Evidence and Forms of Practice
350	300	2	Administration
351	350	3	Civil Service
352	350	3	Civil Service: Treasury
353	350	3	Civil Service: Interior
354	350	3	Civil Service: Police
355	350	3	Army
356	350	3	Army: Infantry
357	350	3	Army: Cavalry
358	350	3	Army: Artillery
359	350	3	Navy
360	300	2	Associations and Institutions
361	360	3	Charitable
362	360	3	Religious
363	360	3	Political
364	360	3	Reformatory and Sanitary
365	360	3	Prisons
366	360	3	Secret Societies
367	360	3	Trades Unions
368	360	3	Insurance
369	360	3	Other
370	300	2	Education
371	370	3	Teachers, Methods, and Discipline
372	370	3	Elementary
373	370	3	Higher
374	370	3	Self-Education
375	370	3	Classical and Real
376	370	3	Female
377	370	3	Religious and Secular
378	370	3	Schools and Colleges
379	370	3	Reports
380	300	2	Commerce and Communication
381	380	3	Domestic Trade
382	380	3	Foreign Trade
383	380	3	Post Office
384	380	3	Telegraph
385	380	3	Railroad and Express
386	380	3	Canal Transportation
387	380	3	River and Ocean Transportation
388	380	3	City Transit
389	380	3	Weights and Measures
390	300	2	Customs and Costumes
391	390	3	Ancient
392	390	3	Medieval
393	390	3	Modern
394	390	3	Modern: Europe
395	390	3	Modern: Asia
396	390	3	Modern: Africa
397	390	3	Modern: North America
398	390	3	Modern: South America
399	390	3	Modern: Oceanica
400	NULL	1	Philology
401	400	3	Philosophy
402	400	3	Compends
403	400	3	Dictionaries
404	400	3	Essays
405	400	3	Periodicals
406	400	3	Societies
407	400	3	Education
408	400	3	Universal Language
409	400	3	History
410	400	2	Comparative
411	410	3	Orthography
412	410	3	Etymology
413	410	3	Dictionaries
414	410	3	Phonology
415	410	3	Grammar
416	410	3	Prosody
417	410	3	Inscriptions
418	410	3	Texts
419	410	3	Hieroglyphics
420	400	2	English
421	420	3	Orthography
422	420	3	Etymology
423	420	3	Dictionaries
424	420	3	Synonyms
425	420	3	Grammar
426	420	3	Prosody
427	420	3	Dialects
428	420	3	Texts
429	420	3	Anglo-Saxon
430	400	2	German
431	430	3	Orthography
432	430	3	Etymology
433	430	3	Dictionaries
434	430	3	Synonyms
435	430	3	Grammar
436	430	3	Prosody
437	430	3	Dialects
438	430	3	Texts
439	430	3	Dutch and Low German
440	400	2	French
441	440	3	Orthography
442	440	3	Etymology
443	440	3	Dictionaries
444	440	3	Synonyms
445	440	3	Grammar
446	440	3	Prosody
447	440	3	Dialects
448	440	3	Texts
449	440	3	Old French, Provencal
450	400	2	Italian
451	450	3	Orthography
452	450	3	Etymology
453	450	3	Dictionaries
454	450	3	Synonyms
455	450	3	Grammar
456	450	3	Prosody
457	450	3	Dialects
458	450	3	Texts
459	450	3	Romansh and Wallachian
460	400	2	Spanish
461	460	3	Orthography
462	460	3	Etymology
463	460	3	Dictionaries
464	460	3	Synonyms
465	460	3	Grammar
466	460	3	Prosody
467	460	3	Dialects
468	460	3	Texts
469	460	3	Portuguese
470	400	2	Latin
471	470	3	Orthography
472	470	3	Etymology
473	470	3	Dictionaries
474	470	3	Synonyms
475	470	3	Grammar
476	470	3	Prosody
477	470	3	Dialects
478	470	3	Texts
479	470	3	Medieval Latin
480	400	2	Greek
481	480	3	Orthography
482	480	3	Etymology
483	480	3	Dictionaries
484	480	3	Synonyms
485	480	3	Grammar
486	480	3	Prosody
487	480	3	Dialects
488	480	3	Texts
489	480	3	Modern Greek
490	400	2	Other Languages
491	490	3	Chinese
492	490	3	Egyptian
493	490	3	Semitic
494	490	3	Indian
495	490	3	Iranian
496	490	3	Keltic
497	490	3	Slavic
498	490	3	Scandinavian
499	490	3	Other
500	NULL	1	Natural Science
501	500	3	Philosophy
502	500	3	Compends
503	500	3	Dictionaries
504	500	3	Essays
505	500	3	Periodicals
506	500	3	Societies
507	500	3	Education
508	500	3	Travels
509	500	3	History
510	500	2	Mathematics
511	510	3	Arithmetic
512	510	3	Algebra
513	510	3	Geometry
514	510	3	Trigonometry
515	510	3	Conic Sections
516	510	3	Analytical Geometry
517	510	3	Calculus
518	510	3	Quaternions
519	510	3	Probabilities
520	500	2	Astronomy
521	520	3	Theoretical
522	520	3	Practical
523	520	3	Descriptive
524	520	3	Maps
525	520	3	Observations
526	520	3	Figure of the Earth
527	520	3	Navigation
528	520	3	Almanacs
529	520	3	Chronology
530	500	2	Physics
531	530	3	Mechanics
532	530	3	Hydrostatics
533	530	3	Pneumatics
534	530	3	Acoustics
535	530	3	Optics
536	530	3	Heat
537	530	3	Electricity
538	530	3	Magnetism
539	530	3	Molecular Physics
540	500	2	Chemistry
541	540	3	Theoretical
542	540	3	Experimental
543	540	3	Analysis
544	540	3	Analysis: Qualitative
545	540	3	Analysis: Quantitative
546	540	3	Inorganic
547	540	3	Organic
548	540	3	Crystallography
549	540	3	Mineralogy
550	500	2	Geology
551	550	3	Physical Geography, Meteorology
552	550	3	Lithology
553	550	3	Dynamical Geology
554	550	3	Europe
555	550	3	Asia
556	550	3	Africa
557	550	3	North America
558	550	3	South America
559	550	3	Oceanica
560	500	2	Paleontology
561	560	3	Plants
562	560	3	Invertebrates
563	560	3	Invertebrates: Protozoa and Radiates
564	560	3	Invertebrates: Mollusca
565	560	3	Invertebrates: Articulates
566	560	3	Vertebrates
567	560	3	Vertebrates: Fishes
568	560	3	Vertebrates: Reptiles and Birds
569	560	3	Vertebrates: Mammals
570	500	2	Biology
571	570	3	Prehistoric Archaeology
572	570	3	Ethnology
573	570	3	Natural History of Man
574	570	3	Homologies
575	570	3	Evolution
576	570	3	Embryology
577	570	3	Spontaneous Generation
578	570	3	Microscopy
579	570	3	Collectors' Manuals
580	500	2	Botany
581	580	3	Physiological
582	580	3	Systematic
583	580	3	Ornamental
584	580	3	Europe
585	580	3	Asia
586	580	3	Africa
587	580	3	North America
588	580	3	South America
589	580	3	Oceanica
590	500	2	Zoology
591	590	3	Comparative Anatomy
592	590	3	Invertebrates
593	590	3	Invertebrates: Protozoa and Radiates
594	590	3	Invertebrates: Mollusca
595	590	3	Invertebrates: Articulates
596	590	3	Vertebrates
597	590	3	Vertebrates: Fishes
598	590	3	Vertebrates: Reptiles and Birds
599	590	3	Vertebrates: Mammals
600	NULL	1	Useful Arts
601	600	3	Philosophy
602	600	3	Compends
603	600	3	Dictionaries
604	600	3	Essays
605	600	3	Periodicals
606	600	3	Societies
607	600	3	Education
608	600	3	Patents
609	600	3	History
610	600	2	Medicine
611	610	3	Anatomy
612	610	3	Physiology
613	610	3	Hygiene
614	610	3	Public Health
615	610	3	Materia Medica and Therapeutics
616	610	3	Pathology, Theory and Practice
617	610	3	Surgery and Dentistry
618	610	3	Obstetrics and Sexual Science
619	610	3	Veterinary Medicine
620	600	2	Engineering
621	620	3	Mechanical
622	620	3	Topographical
623	620	3	Military
624	620	3	Bridge
625	620	3	Road and Railroad
626	620	3	Canal
627	620	3	Harbor
628	620	3	Hydraulic and Mining
629	620	3	Instruments and Field Books
630	600	2	Agriculture
631	630	3	Soil and Preparation
632	630	3	Pests and Hindrances
633	630	3	Productions of the Soil
634	630	3	Fruits
635	630	3	Garden
636	630	3	Domestic Animals
637	630	3	Dairy
638	630	3	Bees and Silkworm
639	630	3	Fishing, Trapping
640	600	2	Domestic Economy
641	640	3	Cookery
642	640	3	Confectionery
643	640	3	Food and Dining
644	640	3	Fuel and Lights
645	640	3	Furniture
646	640	3	Clothing and Toilet
647	640	3	Servants
648	640	3	Laundry
649	640	3	Nursery and Sick-Room
650	600	2	Communication and Commerce
651	650	3	Writing
652	650	3	Writing: Penmanship
653	650	3	Writing: Short Hand
654	650	3	Telegraphy
655	650	3	Printing
656	650	3	Navigation and Transportation
657	650	3	Book-Keeping
658	650	3	Business Manuals
659	650	3	Other
660	600	2	Chemical Technology
661	660	3	Chemicals
662	660	3	Pyrotechnics
663	660	3	Wines, Liquors, and Ales
664	660	3	Sugar, Salt, Starch, etc.
665	660	3	Gas
666	660	3	Glass
667	660	3	Dyeing and Bleaching
668	660	3	Assaying
669	660	3	Metallurgy
670	600	2	Manufactures
671	670	3	Metals
672	670	3	Metals: Iron
673	670	3	Marble, Stone, and Brick
674	670	3	Wood
675	670	3	Leather and Rubber
676	670	3	Paper
677	670	3	Textile Fabrics
678	670	3	Textile Fabrics: Cotton
679	670	3	Other
680	600	2	Mechanic Trades
681	680	3	Watch and Instrument-Making
682	680	3	Blacksmithing
683	680	3	Lock and Gun-Making
684	680	3	Carriage and Cabinet-Making
685	680	3	Saddlery and Shoe-Making
686	680	3	Book-Binding
687	680	3	Clothes-Making
689	680	3	Other
690	600	2	Building
691	690	3	Materials
692	690	3	Plans and Specifications
693	690	3	Masonry
694	690	3	Carpentry
695	690	3	Slating and Tiling
696	690	3	Plumbing
697	690	3	Warming and Ventilation
698	690	3	Painting, Glazing, and Paper-Hanging
699	690	3	Car and Ship-Building
700	NULL	1	Fine Arts
701	700	3	Philosophy
702	700	3	Compends
703	700	3	Dictionaries
704	700	3	Essays
705	700	3	Periodicals
706	700	3	Societies
707	700	3	Education
708	700	3	Galleries
709	700	3	History
710	700	2	Landscape Gardening
711	710	3	Parks
712	710	3	Private Grounds
713	710	3	Walks and Drives
714	710	3	Water
715	710	3	Trees and Hedges
716	710	3	Plants and Flowers
717	710	3	Arbors
718	710	3	Monuments
719	710	3	Cemeteries
720	700	2	Architecture
721	720	3	Architectural Construction
722	720	3	Ancient and Oriental
723	720	3	Medieval
724	720	3	Modern
725	720	3	Public Buildings
726	720	3	Church
727	720	3	School
728	720	3	Domestic and Rural
729	720	3	Of Special Countries
730	700	2	Sculpture
731	730	3	Materials and Methods
732	730	3	Ancient
733	730	3	Ancient: Greek and Roman
734	730	3	Medieval
735	730	3	Modern
736	730	3	Carving
737	730	3	Numismatics
738	730	3	Pottery and Bronzes
739	730	3	Collections
740	700	2	Drawing and Design
741	740	3	Free-Hand
742	740	3	Perspective
743	740	3	Art Anatomy
744	740	3	Mathematical Drawing
745	740	3	Ornamental Design
746	740	3	Ornamental Design: Ancient
747	740	3	Ornamental Design: Medieval
748	740	3	Ornamental Design: Modern
749	740	3	Collections
750	700	2	Painting
751	750	3	Materials and Methods
752	750	3	Color
753	750	3	Flemish and Dutch Schools
754	750	3	French
755	750	3	Italian
756	750	3	Other Schools
757	750	3	Portrait
758	750	3	Landscape
759	750	3	Collections
760	700	2	Engraving
761	760	3	Wood
762	760	3	Steel and Copper
763	760	3	Lithography
764	760	3	Chromolithography
765	760	3	Line and Stipple
766	760	3	Mezzotint and Aquatint
767	760	3	Etching
768	760	3	Bank Note and Machine
769	760	3	Collections
770	700	2	Photography
771	770	3	Materials
772	770	3	Ambrotype and Daguerreotype
773	770	3	Photograph
774	770	3	Heliotype, Albertype, etc.
775	770	3	Photolithography
776	770	3	Stereoscopic
777	770	3	Portrait
778	770	3	Landscape
779	770	3	Collections
780	700	2	Music
781	780	3	Theory
782	780	3	Dramatic
783	780	3	Church
784	780	3	Vocal
785	780	3	Instrumental
786	780	3	Instrumental: Piano and Organ
787	780	3	Instrumental: Stringed Instruments
788	780	3	Instrumental: Wind Instruments
789	780	3	Associations and Institutions
790	700	2	Amusements
791	790	3	Entertainments
792	790	3	Entertainments: Theatre
793	790	3	In-Door Amusements
794	790	3	In-Door Amusements: Chess
795	790	3	In-Door Amusements: Other Games
796	790	3	Out-Door Sports
797	790	3	Out-Door Sports: Boating and Ball
798	790	3	Out-Door Sports: Horsemanship and Racing
799	790	3	Out-Door Sports: Fishing, Hunting, Shooting
800	NULL	1	Literature
801	800	3	Philosophy
802	800	3	Compends
803	800	3	Dictionaries
804	800	3	Essays
805	800	3	Periodicals
806	800	3	Societies
809	800	3	History
810	800	2	Treatises and Collections
811	810	3	Poetry
812	810	3	Drama
813	810	3	Romance
814	810	3	Essays
815	810	3	Rhetoric and Oratory
816	810	3	Letters
817	810	3	Satire
818	810	3	Humor
819	810	3	Miscellany
820	800	2	English
821	820	3	English Poetry
822	820	3	English Drama
823	820	3	English Romance
824	820	3	English Essays
825	820	3	English Oratory
826	820	3	English Letters
827	820	3	English Satire
828	820	3	English Humor
829	820	3	English Miscellany
830	800	2	German
831	830	3	German Poetry
832	830	3	German Drama
833	830	3	German Romance
834	830	3	German Essays
835	830	3	German Oratory
836	830	3	German Letters
837	830	3	German Satire
838	830	3	German Humor
839	830	3	German Miscellany
840	800	2	French
841	840	3	French Poetry
842	840	3	French Drama
843	840	3	French Romance
844	840	3	French Essays
845	840	3	French Oratory
846	840	3	French Letters
847	840	3	French Satire
848	840	3	French Humor
849	840	3	French Miscellany
850	800	2	Italian
851	850	3	Italian Poetry
852	850	3	Italian Drama
853	850	3	Italian Romance
854	850	3	Italian Essays
855	850	3	Italian Oratory
856	850	3	Italian Letters
857	850	3	Italian Satire
858	850	3	Italian Humor
859	850	3	Italian Miscellany
860	800	2	Spanish
861	860	3	Spanish Poetry
862	860	3	Spanish Drama
863	860	3	Spanish Romance
864	860	3	Spanish Essays
865	860	3	Spanish Oratory
866	860	3	Spanish Letters
867	860	3	Spanish Satire
868	860	3	Spanish Humor
869	860	3	Spanish Miscellany
870	800	2	Latin
871	870	3	Latin Poetry
872	870	3	Latin Poetry: Dramatic
873	870	3	Latin Poetry: Epic
874	870	3	Latin Poetry: Lyric
875	870	3	Latin Oratory
876	870	3	Latin Letters
877	870	3	Latin Satire
878	870	3	Latin Philosophy
879	870	3	Latin History
880	800	2	Greek
881	880	3	Greek Poetry
882	880	3	Greek Poetry: Dramatic
883	880	3	Greek Poetry: Epic
884	880	3	Greek Poetry: Lyric
885	880	3	Greek Oratory
886	880	3	Greek Letters
887	880	3	Greek Humor
888	880	3	Greek Philosophy
889	880	3	Greek History
890	800	2	Other Languages
891	890	3	Chinese
892	890	3	Egyptian
893	890	3	Semitic
894	890	3	Indian
895	890	3	Iranian
896	890	3	Keltic
897	890	3	Slavic
898	890	3	Scandinavian
899	890	3	Other
900	NULL	1	History
901	900	3	Philosophy
902	900	3	Compends, Chronology
903	900	3	Dictionaries
904	900	3	Essays
905	900	3	Periodicals
906	900	3	Societies
907	900	3	Education
908	900	3	Charts
909	900	3	Universal Histories
910	900	2	Geography and Description
911	910	3	Historical
912	910	3	Ancient
913	910	3	Modern
914	910	3	Modern: Europe
915	910	3	Modern: Asia
916	910	3	Modern: Africa
917	910	3	Modern: North America
918	910	3	Modern: South America
919	910	3	Modern: Oceanica and Polar Regions
920	900	2	Biography
921	920	3	Of Philosophy
922	920	3	Of Theology
923	920	3	Of Sociology
924	920	3	Of Philology
925	920	3	Of Science
926	920	3	Of Useful Arts
927	920	3	Of Fine Arts
928	920	3	Of Literature
929	920	3	Genealogy and Heraldry
930	900	2	Ancient History
931	930	3	Chinese
932	930	3	Egyptian
933	930	3	Jewish
934	930	3	Indian
935	930	3	Persian
936	930	3	Keltic
937	930	3	Roman
938	930	3	Greek
939	930	3	Other
940	900	2	Modern Europe
941	940	3	Scotland and Ireland
942	940	3	England
943	940	3	Germany and Austria
944	940	3	France
945	940	3	Italy
946	940	3	Spain and Portugal
947	940	3	Russia
948	940	3	Scandinavia
949	940	3	Other
950	900	2	Modern Asia
951	950	3	China
952	950	3	Japan
953	950	3	Arabia
954	950	3	India
955	950	3	Persia
956	950	3	Turkey in Asia
957	950	3	Siberia
958	950	3	Afghanistan
959	950	3	Other
960	900	2	Modern Africa
96l	960	3	North Africa
962	960	3	North Africa: Egypt and Nubia
963	960	3	North Africa: Abyssinia
964	960	3	North Africa: Morocco
965	960	3	North Africa: Algeria
966	960	3	Central Africa
967	960	3	Central Africa: Guinea
968	960	3	South Africa
969	960	3	Other
970	900	2	Modern North America
971	970	3	British America
972	970	3	British America: Canada
973	970	3	United States and Territories
974	970	3	United States and Territories: Eastern
975	970	3	United States and Territories: Middle
976	970	3	United States and Territories: Southern
977	970	3	United States and Territories: Western
978	970	3	Mexico
979	970	3	Other
980	900	2	Modern South America
981	980	3	Brazil
982	980	3	Argentine Republic
983	980	3	Chili
984	980	3	Bolivia
985	980	3	Peru
986	980	3	New Granada
987	980	3	Venezuela
988	980	3	Guiana
989	980	3	Other
990	900	2	Modern Oceanica and Polar Regions
991	990	3	Malaysia
992	990	3	Malaysia: Sunda
993	990	3	Australasia
994	990	3	Australasia: Australia
995	990	3	Australasia: New Guinea
996	990	3	Polynesia
997	990	3	Isolated Islands
998	990	3	Arctic Regions
999	990	3	Antarctic Regions

Here's the same data in SQL format:

CREATE TABLE categories (
id smallint(3) unsigned zerofill NOT NULL default '000',
parent_id smallint(3) unsigned zerofill default NULL,
level tinyint(3) unsigned default NULL,
name char(48) default NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (id),
KEY parent_id (parent_id),
KEY level (level),
KEY name (name)
);

INSERT INTO categories VALUES (000,NULL,1,'General'),
(010,000,2,'Bibliography'),
(011,010,3,'General Bibliographies'),
(012,010,3,'Special Forms'),
(013,010,3,'Special Forms: Manuscripts'),
(014,010,3,'Special Forms: Anonyms, Pseudonyms, etc.'),
(015,010,3,'Special Countries'),
(016,010,3,'Special Subjects'),
(017,010,3,'Subject Catalogues'),
(018,010,3,'Authors\' Catalogues'),
(019,010,3,'Library Economy and Reports'),
(020,000,2,'Book Rarities'),
(021,020,3,'Manuscripts'),
(022,020,3,'Block Books'),
(023,020,3,'Early Printed'),
(024,020,3,'Celebrated Printers'),
(025,020,3,'Celebrated Binders'),
(026,020,3,'Materials'),
(027,020,3,'Ownership'),
(028,020,3,'Prohibited'),
(029,020,3,'Other'),
(030,000,2,'General Cyclopedias'),
(031,030,3,'American'),
(032,030,3,'English'),
(033,030,3,'German'),
(034,030,3,'French'),
(035,030,3,'Italian'),
(036,030,3,'Spanish'),
(037,030,3,'Slavic'),
(038,030,3,'Scandinavian'),
(039,030,3,'Other'),
(040,000,2,'Polygraphy'),
(041,040,3,'American'),
(042,040,3,'English'),
(043,040,3,'German'),
(044,040,3,'French'),
(045,040,3,'Italian'),
(046,040,3,'Spanish'),
(047,040,3,'Slavic'),
(048,040,3,'Scandinavian'),
(049,040,3,'Other'),
(050,000,2,'General Periodicals'),
(051,050,3,'American'),
(052,050,3,'English'),
(053,050,3,'German'),
(054,050,3,'French'),
(055,050,3,'Italian'),
(056,050,3,'Spanish'),
(057,050,3,'Slavic'),
(058,050,3,'Scandinavian'),
(059,050,3,'Other'),
(060,000,2,'General Societies'),
(061,060,3,'American'),
(062,060,3,'English'),
(063,060,3,'German'),
(064,060,3,'French'),
(065,060,3,'Italian'),
(066,060,3,'Spanish'),
(067,060,3,'Slavic'),
(068,060,3,'Scandinavian'),
(069,060,3,'Other'),
(100,NULL,1,'Philosophy'),
(102,100,3,'Compends'),
(103,100,3,'Dictionaries'),
(104,100,3,'Essays'),
(105,100,3,'Periodicals'),
(106,100,3,'Societies'),
(107,100,3,'Education'),
(109,100,3,'History'),
(110,100,2,'Metaphysics'),
(111,110,3,'Ontology'),
(112,110,3,'Methodology'),
(113,110,3,'Cosmology'),
(130,100,2,'Anthropology'),
(131,130,3,'Mental Physiology and Hygiene'),
(132,130,3,'Mental Derangements'),
(133,130,3,'Delusions, Witchcraft, Magic'),
(134,130,3,'Mesmerism'),
(135,130,3,'Sleep, Dreams, Somnambulism'),
(136,130,3,'Sexes'),
(137,130,3,'Temperaments'),
(138,130,3,'Physiognomy'),
(139,130,3,'Phrenology'),
(140,100,2,'Schools of Psychology'),
(141,140,3,'Idealistic'),
(142,140,3,'Critical'),
(143,140,3,'Intuitive'),
(144,140,3,'Empirical'),
(145,140,3,'Sensational'),
(146,140,3,'Materialistic'),
(147,140,3,'Pantheistic'),
(148,140,3,'Eclectic'),
(149,140,3,'Other'),
(150,100,2,'Mental Faculties'),
(151,150,3,'Intellect'),
(152,150,3,'Sense'),
(153,150,3,'Understanding'),
(154,150,3,'Memory'),
(155,150,3,'Reason'),
(156,150,3,'Imagination'),
(157,150,3,'Susceptibility'),
(158,150,3,'Instincts'),
(159,150,3,'Will'),
(160,100,2,'Logic'),
(161,160,3,'Inductive'),
(162,160,3,'Deductive'),
(163,160,3,'Assent'),
(170,100,2,'Ethics'),
(171,170,3,'Theoretical'),
(172,170,3,'State'),
(173,170,3,'Family'),
(174,170,3,'Business'),
(175,170,3,'Amusements'),
(176,170,3,'Sexual'),
(177,170,3,'Social'),
(178,170,3,'Temperance'),
(179,170,3,'Other'),
(180,100,2,'Ancient Philosophies'),
(181,180,3,'Oriental'),
(182,180,3,'Early Greek'),
(183,180,3,'Sophistic and Socratic'),
(184,180,3,'Platonic'),
(185,180,3,'Aristotelian'),
(186,180,3,'Pyrrhonist and New Platonist'),
(187,180,3,'Epicurean'),
(188,180,3,'Stoic'),
(189,180,3,'Patristic'),
(190,100,2,'Modern Philosophies'),
(191,190,3,'Scotch and American'),
(192,190,3,'English'),
(193,190,3,'German'),
(194,190,3,'French'),
(195,190,3,'Italian'),
(196,190,3,'Spanish'),
(197,190,3,'Arabian'),
(198,190,3,'Scholastic'),
(199,190,3,'Other'),
(200,NULL,1,'Theology'),
(201,200,3,'Philosophy'),
(202,200,3,'Compends'),
(203,200,3,'Dictionaries'),
(204,200,3,'Essays'),
(205,200,3,'Periodicals'),
(206,200,3,'Societies'),
(207,200,3,'Education'),
(209,200,3,'History'),
(210,200,2,'Natural Theology'),
(211,210,3,'Theism and Atheism'),
(212,210,3,'Pantheism'),
(213,210,3,'Creation'),
(214,210,3,'Providence'),
(215,210,3,'Religion and Science'),
(216,210,3,'Evil'),
(217,210,3,'Prayer'),
(218,210,3,'Future Life'),
(220,200,2,'Bible'),
(221,220,3,'Old Testament'),
(222,220,3,'Old Testament: Historical Books'),
(223,220,3,'Old Testament: Poetical Books'),
(224,220,3,'Old Testament: Prophetical Books'),
(225,220,3,'New Testament'),
(226,220,3,'New Testament: Gospels and Acts'),
(227,220,3,'New Testament: Epistles'),
(228,220,3,'New Testament: Apocalypse'),
(229,220,3,'Apocrypha'),
(230,200,2,'Doctrinal Theology'),
(231,230,3,'God'),
(232,230,3,'Christ'),
(233,230,3,'Man'),
(234,230,3,'Salvation'),
(235,230,3,'Angels'),
(236,230,3,'Death and Resurrection'),
(237,230,3,'Future State'),
(238,230,3,'Inspiration'),
(239,230,3,'Apologetics'),
(240,200,2,'Practical and Devotional'),
(241,240,3,'Didactic'),
(242,240,3,'Meditative'),
(243,240,3,'Hortatory'),
(244,240,3,'Ritual'),
(245,240,3,'Hymnology'),
(246,240,3,'Public Worship'),
(247,240,3,'Social Worship'),
(248,240,3,'Private Worship'),
(249,240,3,'Religious Fiction and Anecdote'),
(250,200,2,'Homiletical and Pastoral'),
(251,250,3,'Homiletics'),
(252,250,3,'Sermons'),
(253,250,3,'Sermons: Doctrinal'),
(254,250,3,'Sermons: Practical'),
(255,250,3,'Sermons: Religion and Science'),
(256,250,3,'Sermons: Political'),
(257,250,3,'Sermons: Ordination'),
(258,250,3,'Sermons: Expository'),
(259,250,3,'Sermons: Commemorative'),
(260,200,2,'Institutions and Missions'),
(261,260,3,'Church'),
(262,260,3,'Church: Ecclesiastical Polity'),
(263,260,3,'Sabbath'),
(264,260,3,'Baptism'),
(265,260,3,'Lord\'s Supper'),
(266,260,3,'Missions'),
(267,260,3,'Missions: Foreign'),
(268,260,3,'Sunday Schools'),
(269,260,3,'Revivals'),
(270,200,2,'Ecclesiastical History'),
(271,270,3,'Religious Orders'),
(272,270,3,'Persecutions'),
(273,270,3,'Doctrines'),
(274,270,3,'Europe'),
(275,270,3,'Asia'),
(276,270,3,'Africa'),
(277,270,3,'North America'),
(278,270,3,'South America'),
(279,270,3,'Oceanica'),
(280,200,2,'Christian Sects'),
(281,280,3,'Oriental'),
(282,280,3,'Roman Catholic'),
(283,280,3,'English and Protestant Episcopal'),
(284,280,3,'Presbyterian'),
(285,280,3,'Congregational'),
(286,280,3,'Baptist'),
(287,280,3,'Methodist'),
(288,280,3,'Unitarian and Universalist'),
(289,280,3,'Other Christian Sects'),
(290,200,2,'Non-Christian Religions'),
(291,290,3,'Comparative Mythology'),
(292,290,3,'Greek and Roman Mythology'),
(293,290,3,'Norse Mythology'),
(294,290,3,'Brahmanism and Buddhism'),
(295,290,3,'Parseeism'),
(296,290,3,'Judaism'),
(297,290,3,'Mohammedanism'),
(298,290,3,'Mormonism'),
(299,290,3,'Other'),
(300,NULL,1,'Sociology'),
(301,300,3,'Philosophy'),
(302,300,3,'Compends'),
(303,300,3,'Dictionaries'),
(304,300,3,'Essays'),
(305,300,3,'Periodicals'),
(306,300,3,'Societies'),
(309,300,3,'History'),
(310,300,2,'Statistics'),
(311,310,3,'Methods'),
(312,310,3,'Progress of Population'),
(313,310,3,'Progress of Civilization'),
(314,310,3,'Europe'),
(315,310,3,'Asia'),
(316,310,3,'Africa'),
(317,310,3,'North America'),
(318,310,3,'South America'),
(319,310,3,'Oceanica'),
(320,300,2,'Political Science'),
(321,320,3,'Patriarchal Institutions'),
(322,320,3,'Feudal Institutions'),
(323,320,3,'Monarchic Institutions'),
(324,320,3,'Republican Institutions'),
(325,320,3,'Colonies and Emigration'),
(326,320,3,'Slavery'),
(327,320,3,'Foreign and Domestic Relations'),
(328,320,3,'Legislative Annals'),
(329,320,3,'Political Essays and Speeches'),
(330,300,2,'Political Economy'),
(331,330,3,'Capital and Labor'),
(332,330,3,'Banks and Money'),
(333,330,3,'Stocks, Rents, and Income'),
(334,330,3,'Credit and Interest'),
(335,330,3,'Communism'),
(336,330,3,'Public Funds and Taxation'),
(337,330,3,'Protection and Free Trade'),
(338,330,3,'Production'),
(339,330,3,'Pauperism'),
(340,300,2,'Law'),
(341,340,3,'International'),
(342,340,3,'Constitutional and Administrative'),
(343,340,3,'Statute and Common'),
(344,340,3,'Equity'),
(345,340,3,'Criminal'),
(346,340,3,'Maritime'),
(347,340,3,'Martial'),
(348,340,3,'Civil and Canon'),
(349,340,3,'Evidence and Forms of Practice'),
(350,300,2,'Administration'),
(351,350,3,'Civil Service'),
(352,350,3,'Civil Service: Treasury'),
(353,350,3,'Civil Service: Interior'),
(354,350,3,'Civil Service: Police'),
(355,350,3,'Army'),
(356,350,3,'Army: Infantry'),
(357,350,3,'Army: Cavalry'),
(358,350,3,'Army: Artillery'),
(359,350,3,'Navy'),
(360,300,2,'Associations and Institutions'),
(361,360,3,'Charitable'),
(362,360,3,'Religious'),
(363,360,3,'Political'),
(364,360,3,'Reformatory and Sanitary'),
(365,360,3,'Prisons'),
(366,360,3,'Secret Societies'),
(367,360,3,'Trades Unions'),
(368,360,3,'Insurance'),
(369,360,3,'Other'),
(370,300,2,'Education'),
(371,370,3,'Teachers, Methods, and Discipline'),
(372,370,3,'Elementary'),
(373,370,3,'Higher'),
(374,370,3,'Self-Education'),
(375,370,3,'Classical and Real'),
(376,370,3,'Female'),
(377,370,3,'Religious and Secular'),
(378,370,3,'Schools and Colleges'),
(379,370,3,'Reports'),
(380,300,2,'Commerce and Communication'),
(381,380,3,'Domestic Trade'),
(382,380,3,'Foreign Trade'),
(383,380,3,'Post Office'),
(384,380,3,'Telegraph'),
(385,380,3,'Railroad and Express'),
(386,380,3,'Canal Transportation'),
(387,380,3,'River and Ocean Transportation'),
(388,380,3,'City Transit'),
(389,380,3,'Weights and Measures'),
(390,300,2,'Customs and Costumes'),
(391,390,3,'Ancient'),
(392,390,3,'Medieval'),
(393,390,3,'Modern'),
(394,390,3,'Modern: Europe'),
(395,390,3,'Modern: Asia'),
(396,390,3,'Modern: Africa'),
(397,390,3,'Modern: North America'),
(398,390,3,'Modern: South America'),
(399,390,3,'Modern: Oceanica'),
(400,NULL,1,'Philology'),
(401,400,3,'Philosophy'),
(402,400,3,'Compends'),
(403,400,3,'Dictionaries'),
(404,400,3,'Essays'),
(405,400,3,'Periodicals'),
(406,400,3,'Societies'),
(407,400,3,'Education'),
(408,400,3,'Universal Language'),
(409,400,3,'History'),
(410,400,2,'Comparative'),
(411,410,3,'Orthography'),
(412,410,3,'Etymology'),
(413,410,3,'Dictionaries'),
(414,410,3,'Phonology'),
(415,410,3,'Grammar'),
(416,410,3,'Prosody'),
(417,410,3,'Inscriptions'),
(418,410,3,'Texts'),
(419,410,3,'Hieroglyphics'),
(420,400,2,'English'),
(421,420,3,'Orthography'),
(422,420,3,'Etymology'),
(423,420,3,'Dictionaries'),
(424,420,3,'Synonyms'),
(425,420,3,'Grammar'),
(426,420,3,'Prosody'),
(427,420,3,'Dialects'),
(428,420,3,'Texts'),
(429,420,3,'Anglo-Saxon'),
(430,400,2,'German'),
(431,430,3,'Orthography'),
(432,430,3,'Etymology'),
(433,430,3,'Dictionaries'),
(434,430,3,'Synonyms'),
(435,430,3,'Grammar'),
(436,430,3,'Prosody'),
(437,430,3,'Dialects'),
(438,430,3,'Texts'),
(439,430,3,'Dutch and Low German'),
(440,400,2,'French'),
(441,440,3,'Orthography'),
(442,440,3,'Etymology'),
(443,440,3,'Dictionaries'),
(444,440,3,'Synonyms'),
(445,440,3,'Grammar'),
(446,440,3,'Prosody'),
(447,440,3,'Dialects'),
(448,440,3,'Texts'),
(449,440,3,'Old French, Provencal'),
(450,400,2,'Italian'),
(451,450,3,'Orthography'),
(452,450,3,'Etymology'),
(453,450,3,'Dictionaries'),
(454,450,3,'Synonyms'),
(455,450,3,'Grammar'),
(456,450,3,'Prosody'),
(457,450,3,'Dialects'),
(458,450,3,'Texts'),
(459,450,3,'Romansh and Wallachian'),
(460,400,2,'Spanish'),
(461,460,3,'Orthography'),
(462,460,3,'Etymology'),
(463,460,3,'Dictionaries'),
(464,460,3,'Synonyms'),
(465,460,3,'Grammar'),
(466,460,3,'Prosody'),
(467,460,3,'Dialects'),
(468,460,3,'Texts'),
(469,460,3,'Portuguese'),
(470,400,2,'Latin'),
(471,470,3,'Orthography'),
(472,470,3,'Etymology'),
(473,470,3,'Dictionaries'),
(474,470,3,'Synonyms'),
(475,470,3,'Grammar'),
(476,470,3,'Prosody'),
(477,470,3,'Dialects'),
(478,470,3,'Texts'),
(479,470,3,'Medieval Latin'),
(480,400,2,'Greek'),
(481,480,3,'Orthography'),
(482,480,3,'Etymology'),
(483,480,3,'Dictionaries'),
(484,480,3,'Synonyms'),
(485,480,3,'Grammar'),
(486,480,3,'Prosody'),
(487,480,3,'Dialects'),
(488,480,3,'Texts'),
(489,480,3,'Modern Greek'),
(490,400,2,'Other Languages'),
(491,490,3,'Chinese'),
(492,490,3,'Egyptian'),
(493,490,3,'Semitic'),
(494,490,3,'Indian'),
(495,490,3,'Iranian'),
(496,490,3,'Keltic'),
(497,490,3,'Slavic'),
(498,490,3,'Scandinavian'),
(499,490,3,'Other'),
(500,NULL,1,'Natural Science'),
(501,500,3,'Philosophy'),
(502,500,3,'Compends'),
(503,500,3,'Dictionaries'),
(504,500,3,'Essays'),
(505,500,3,'Periodicals'),
(506,500,3,'Societies'),
(507,500,3,'Education'),
(508,500,3,'Travels'),
(509,500,3,'History'),
(510,500,2,'Mathematics'),
(511,510,3,'Arithmetic'),
(512,510,3,'Algebra'),
(513,510,3,'Geometry'),
(514,510,3,'Trigonometry'),
(515,510,3,'Conic Sections'),
(516,510,3,'Analytical Geometry'),
(517,510,3,'Calculus'),
(518,510,3,'Quaternions'),
(519,510,3,'Probabilities'),
(520,500,2,'Astronomy'),
(521,520,3,'Theoretical'),
(522,520,3,'Practical'),
(523,520,3,'Descriptive'),
(524,520,3,'Maps'),
(525,520,3,'Observations'),
(526,520,3,'Figure of the Earth'),
(527,520,3,'Navigation'),
(528,520,3,'Almanacs'),
(529,520,3,'Chronology'),
(530,500,2,'Physics'),
(531,530,3,'Mechanics'),
(532,530,3,'Hydrostatics'),
(533,530,3,'Pneumatics'),
(534,530,3,'Acoustics'),
(535,530,3,'Optics'),
(536,530,3,'Heat'),
(537,530,3,'Electricity'),
(538,530,3,'Magnetism'),
(539,530,3,'Molecular Physics'),
(540,500,2,'Chemistry'),
(541,540,3,'Theoretical'),
(542,540,3,'Experimental'),
(543,540,3,'Analysis'),
(544,540,3,'Analysis: Qualitative'),
(545,540,3,'Analysis: Quantitative'),
(546,540,3,'Inorganic'),
(547,540,3,'Organic'),
(548,540,3,'Crystallography'),
(549,540,3,'Mineralogy'),
(550,500,2,'Geology'),
(551,550,3,'Physical Geography, Meteorology'),
(552,550,3,'Lithology'),
(553,550,3,'Dynamical Geology'),
(554,550,3,'Europe'),
(555,550,3,'Asia'),
(556,550,3,'Africa'),
(557,550,3,'North America'),
(558,550,3,'South America'),
(559,550,3,'Oceanica'),
(560,500,2,'Paleontology'),
(561,560,3,'Plants'),
(562,560,3,'Invertebrates'),
(563,560,3,'Invertebrates: Protozoa and Radiates'),
(564,560,3,'Invertebrates: Mollusca'),
(565,560,3,'Invertebrates: Articulates'),
(566,560,3,'Vertebrates'),
(567,560,3,'Vertebrates: Fishes'),
(568,560,3,'Vertebrates: Reptiles and Birds'),
(569,560,3,'Vertebrates: Mammals'),
(570,500,2,'Biology'),
(571,570,3,'Prehistoric Archaeology'),
(572,570,3,'Ethnology'),
(573,570,3,'Natural History of Man'),
(574,570,3,'Homologies'),
(575,570,3,'Evolution'),
(576,570,3,'Embryology'),
(577,570,3,'Spontaneous Generation'),
(578,570,3,'Microscopy'),
(579,570,3,'Collectors\' Manuals'),
(580,500,2,'Botany'),
(581,580,3,'Physiological'),
(582,580,3,'Systematic'),
(583,580,3,'Ornamental'),
(584,580,3,'Europe'),
(585,580,3,'Asia'),
(586,580,3,'Africa'),
(587,580,3,'North America'),
(588,580,3,'South America'),
(589,580,3,'Oceanica'),
(590,500,2,'Zoology'),
(591,590,3,'Comparative Anatomy'),
(592,590,3,'Invertebrates'),
(593,590,3,'Invertebrates: Protozoa and Radiates'),
(594,590,3,'Invertebrates: Mollusca'),
(595,590,3,'Invertebrates: Articulates'),
(596,590,3,'Vertebrates'),
(597,590,3,'Vertebrates: Fishes'),
(598,590,3,'Vertebrates: Reptiles and Birds'),
(599,590,3,'Vertebrates: Mammals'),
(600,NULL,1,'Useful Arts'),
(601,600,3,'Philosophy'),
(602,600,3,'Compends'),
(603,600,3,'Dictionaries'),
(604,600,3,'Essays'),
(605,600,3,'Periodicals'),
(606,600,3,'Societies'),
(607,600,3,'Education'),
(608,600,3,'Patents'),
(609,600,3,'History'),
(610,600,2,'Medicine'),
(611,610,3,'Anatomy'),
(612,610,3,'Physiology'),
(613,610,3,'Hygiene'),
(614,610,3,'Public Health'),
(615,610,3,'Materia Medica and Therapeutics'),
(616,610,3,'Pathology, Theory and Practice'),
(617,610,3,'Surgery and Dentistry'),
(618,610,3,'Obstetrics and Sexual Science'),
(619,610,3,'Veterinary Medicine'),
(620,600,2,'Engineering'),
(621,620,3,'Mechanical'),
(622,620,3,'Topographical'),
(623,620,3,'Military'),
(624,620,3,'Bridge'),
(625,620,3,'Road and Railroad'),
(626,620,3,'Canal'),
(627,620,3,'Harbor'),
(628,620,3,'Hydraulic and Mining'),
(629,620,3,'Instruments and Field Books'),
(630,600,2,'Agriculture'),
(631,630,3,'Soil and Preparation'),
(632,630,3,'Pests and Hindrances'),
(633,630,3,'Productions of the Soil'),
(634,630,3,'Fruits'),
(635,630,3,'Garden'),
(636,630,3,'Domestic Animals'),
(637,630,3,'Dairy'),
(638,630,3,'Bees and Silkworm'),
(639,630,3,'Fishing, Trapping'),
(640,600,2,'Domestic Economy'),
(641,640,3,'Cookery'),
(642,640,3,'Confectionery'),
(643,640,3,'Food and Dining'),
(644,640,3,'Fuel and Lights'),
(645,640,3,'Furniture'),
(646,640,3,'Clothing and Toilet'),
(647,640,3,'Servants'),
(648,640,3,'Laundry'),
(649,640,3,'Nursery and Sick-Room'),
(650,600,2,'Communication and Commerce'),
(651,650,3,'Writing'),
(652,650,3,'Writing: Penmanship'),
(653,650,3,'Writing: Short Hand'),
(654,650,3,'Telegraphy'),
(655,650,3,'Printing'),
(656,650,3,'Navigation and Transportation'),
(657,650,3,'Book-Keeping'),
(658,650,3,'Business Manuals'),
(659,650,3,'Other'),
(660,600,2,'Chemical Technology'),
(661,660,3,'Chemicals'),
(662,660,3,'Pyrotechnics'),
(663,660,3,'Wines, Liquors, and Ales'),
(664,660,3,'Sugar, Salt, Starch, etc.'),
(665,660,3,'Gas'),
(666,660,3,'Glass'),
(667,660,3,'Dyeing and Bleaching'),
(668,660,3,'Assaying'),
(669,660,3,'Metallurgy'),
(670,600,2,'Manufactures'),
(671,670,3,'Metals'),
(672,670,3,'Metals: Iron'),
(673,670,3,'Marble, Stone, and Brick'),
(674,670,3,'Wood'),
(675,670,3,'Leather and Rubber'),
(676,670,3,'Paper'),
(677,670,3,'Textile Fabrics'),
(678,670,3,'Textile Fabrics: Cotton'),
(679,670,3,'Other'),
(680,600,2,'Mechanic Trades'),
(681,680,3,'Watch and Instrument-Making'),
(682,680,3,'Blacksmithing'),
(683,680,3,'Lock and Gun-Making'),
(684,680,3,'Carriage and Cabinet-Making'),
(685,680,3,'Saddlery and Shoe-Making'),
(686,680,3,'Book-Binding'),
(687,680,3,'Clothes-Making'),
(689,680,3,'Other'),
(690,600,2,'Building'),
(691,690,3,'Materials'),
(692,690,3,'Plans and Specifications'),
(693,690,3,'Masonry'),
(694,690,3,'Carpentry'),
(695,690,3,'Slating and Tiling'),
(696,690,3,'Plumbing'),
(697,690,3,'Warming and Ventilation'),
(698,690,3,'Painting, Glazing, and Paper-Hanging'),
(699,690,3,'Car and Ship-Building'),
(700,NULL,1,'Fine Arts'),
(701,700,3,'Philosophy'),
(702,700,3,'Compends'),
(703,700,3,'Dictionaries'),
(704,700,3,'Essays'),
(705,700,3,'Periodicals'),
(706,700,3,'Societies'),
(707,700,3,'Education'),
(708,700,3,'Galleries'),
(709,700,3,'History'),
(710,700,2,'Landscape Gardening'),
(711,710,3,'Parks'),
(712,710,3,'Private Grounds'),
(713,710,3,'Walks and Drives'),
(714,710,3,'Water'),
(715,710,3,'Trees and Hedges'),
(716,710,3,'Plants and Flowers'),
(717,710,3,'Arbors'),
(718,710,3,'Monuments'),
(719,710,3,'Cemeteries'),
(720,700,2,'Architecture'),
(721,720,3,'Architectural Construction'),
(722,720,3,'Ancient and Oriental'),
(723,720,3,'Medieval'),
(724,720,3,'Modern'),
(725,720,3,'Public Buildings'),
(726,720,3,'Church'),
(727,720,3,'School'),
(728,720,3,'Domestic and Rural'),
(729,720,3,'Of Special Countries'),
(730,700,2,'Sculpture'),
(731,730,3,'Materials and Methods'),
(732,730,3,'Ancient'),
(733,730,3,'Ancient: Greek and Roman'),
(734,730,3,'Medieval'),
(735,730,3,'Modern'),
(736,730,3,'Carving'),
(737,730,3,'Numismatics'),
(738,730,3,'Pottery and Bronzes'),
(739,730,3,'Collections'),
(740,700,2,'Drawing and Design'),
(741,740,3,'Free-Hand'),
(742,740,3,'Perspective'),
(743,740,3,'Art Anatomy'),
(744,740,3,'Mathematical Drawing'),
(745,740,3,'Ornamental Design'),
(746,740,3,'Ornamental Design: Ancient'),
(747,740,3,'Ornamental Design: Medieval'),
(748,740,3,'Ornamental Design: Modern'),
(749,740,3,'Collections'),
(750,700,2,'Painting'),
(751,750,3,'Materials and Methods'),
(752,750,3,'Color'),
(753,750,3,'Flemish and Dutch Schools'),
(754,750,3,'French'),
(755,750,3,'Italian'),
(756,750,3,'Other Schools'),
(757,750,3,'Portrait'),
(758,750,3,'Landscape'),
(759,750,3,'Collections'),
(760,700,2,'Engraving'),
(761,760,3,'Wood'),
(762,760,3,'Steel and Copper'),
(763,760,3,'Lithography'),
(764,760,3,'Chromolithography'),
(765,760,3,'Line and Stipple'),
(766,760,3,'Mezzotint and Aquatint'),
(767,760,3,'Etching'),
(768,760,3,'Bank Note and Machine'),
(769,760,3,'Collections'),
(770,700,2,'Photography'),
(771,770,3,'Materials'),
(772,770,3,'Ambrotype and Daguerreotype'),
(773,770,3,'Photograph'),
(774,770,3,'Heliotype, Albertype, etc.'),
(775,770,3,'Photolithography'),
(776,770,3,'Stereoscopic'),
(777,770,3,'Portrait'),
(778,770,3,'Landscape'),
(779,770,3,'Collections'),
(780,700,2,'Music'),
(781,780,3,'Theory'),
(782,780,3,'Dramatic'),
(783,780,3,'Church'),
(784,780,3,'Vocal'),
(785,780,3,'Instrumental'),
(786,780,3,'Instrumental: Piano and Organ'),
(787,780,3,'Instrumental: Stringed Instruments'),
(788,780,3,'Instrumental: Wind Instruments'),
(789,780,3,'Associations and Institutions'),
(790,700,2,'Amusements'),
(791,790,3,'Entertainments'),
(792,790,3,'Entertainments: Theatre'),
(793,790,3,'In-Door Amusements'),
(794,790,3,'In-Door Amusements: Chess'),
(795,790,3,'In-Door Amusements: Other Games'),
(796,790,3,'Out-Door Sports'),
(797,790,3,'Out-Door Sports: Boating and Ball'),
(798,790,3,'Out-Door Sports: Horsemanship and Racing'),
(799,790,3,'Out-Door Sports: Fishing, Hunting, Shooting'),
(800,NULL,1,'Literature'),
(801,800,3,'Philosophy'),
(802,800,3,'Compends'),
(803,800,3,'Dictionaries'),
(804,800,3,'Essays'),
(805,800,3,'Periodicals'),
(806,800,3,'Societies'),
(809,800,3,'History'),
(810,800,2,'Treatises and Collections'),
(811,810,3,'Poetry'),
(812,810,3,'Drama'),
(813,810,3,'Romance'),
(814,810,3,'Essays'),
(815,810,3,'Rhetoric and Oratory'),
(816,810,3,'Letters'),
(817,810,3,'Satire'),
(818,810,3,'Humor'),
(819,810,3,'Miscellany'),
(820,800,2,'English'),
(821,820,3,'English Poetry'),
(822,820,3,'English Drama'),
(823,820,3,'English Romance'),
(824,820,3,'English Essays'),
(825,820,3,'English Oratory'),
(826,820,3,'English Letters'),
(827,820,3,'English Satire'),
(828,820,3,'English Humor'),
(829,820,3,'English Miscellany'),
(830,800,2,'German'),
(831,830,3,'German Poetry'),
(832,830,3,'German Drama'),
(833,830,3,'German Romance'),
(834,830,3,'German Essays'),
(835,830,3,'German Oratory'),
(836,830,3,'German Letters'),
(837,830,3,'German Satire'),
(838,830,3,'German Humor'),
(839,830,3,'German Miscellany'),
(840,800,2,'French'),
(841,840,3,'French Poetry'),
(842,840,3,'French Drama'),
(843,840,3,'French Romance'),
(844,840,3,'French Essays'),
(845,840,3,'French Oratory'),
(846,840,3,'French Letters'),
(847,840,3,'French Satire'),
(848,840,3,'French Humor'),
(849,840,3,'French Miscellany'),
(850,800,2,'Italian'),
(851,850,3,'Italian Poetry'),
(852,850,3,'Italian Drama'),
(853,850,3,'Italian Romance'),
(854,850,3,'Italian Essays'),
(855,850,3,'Italian Oratory'),
(856,850,3,'Italian Letters'),
(857,850,3,'Italian Satire'),
(858,850,3,'Italian Humor'),
(859,850,3,'Italian Miscellany'),
(860,800,2,'Spanish'),
(861,860,3,'Spanish Poetry'),
(862,860,3,'Spanish Drama'),
(863,860,3,'Spanish Romance'),
(864,860,3,'Spanish Essays'),
(865,860,3,'Spanish Oratory'),
(866,860,3,'Spanish Letters'),
(867,860,3,'Spanish Satire'),
(868,860,3,'Spanish Humor'),
(869,860,3,'Spanish Miscellany'),
(870,800,2,'Latin'),
(871,870,3,'Latin Poetry'),
(872,870,3,'Latin Poetry: Dramatic'),
(873,870,3,'Latin Poetry: Epic'),
(874,870,3,'Latin Poetry: Lyric'),
(875,870,3,'Latin Oratory'),
(876,870,3,'Latin Letters'),
(877,870,3,'Latin Satire'),
(878,870,3,'Latin Philosophy'),
(879,870,3,'Latin History'),
(880,800,2,'Greek'),
(881,880,3,'Greek Poetry'),
(882,880,3,'Greek Poetry: Dramatic'),
(883,880,3,'Greek Poetry: Epic'),
(884,880,3,'Greek Poetry: Lyric'),
(885,880,3,'Greek Oratory'),
(886,880,3,'Greek Letters'),
(887,880,3,'Greek Humor'),
(888,880,3,'Greek Philosophy'),
(889,880,3,'Greek History'),
(890,800,2,'Other Languages'),
(891,890,3,'Chinese'),
(892,890,3,'Egyptian'),
(893,890,3,'Semitic'),
(894,890,3,'Indian'),
(895,890,3,'Iranian'),
(896,890,3,'Keltic'),
(897,890,3,'Slavic'),
(898,890,3,'Scandinavian'),
(899,890,3,'Other'),
(900,NULL,1,'History'),
(901,900,3,'Philosophy'),
(902,900,3,'Compends, Chronology'),
(903,900,3,'Dictionaries'),
(904,900,3,'Essays'),
(905,900,3,'Periodicals'),
(906,900,3,'Societies'),
(907,900,3,'Education'),
(908,900,3,'Charts'),
(909,900,3,'Universal Histories'),
(910,900,2,'Geography and Description'),
(911,910,3,'Historical'),
(912,910,3,'Ancient'),
(913,910,3,'Modern'),
(914,910,3,'Modern: Europe'),
(915,910,3,'Modern: Asia'),
(916,910,3,'Modern: Africa'),
(917,910,3,'Modern: North America'),
(918,910,3,'Modern: South America'),
(919,910,3,'Modern: Oceanica and Polar Regions'),
(920,900,2,'Biography'),
(921,920,3,'Of Philosophy'),
(922,920,3,'Of Theology'),
(923,920,3,'Of Sociology'),
(924,920,3,'Of Philology'),
(925,920,3,'Of Science'),
(926,920,3,'Of Useful Arts'),
(927,920,3,'Of Fine Arts'),
(928,920,3,'Of Literature'),
(929,920,3,'Genealogy and Heraldry'),
(930,900,2,'Ancient History'),
(931,930,3,'Chinese'),
(932,930,3,'Egyptian'),
(933,930,3,'Jewish'),
(934,930,3,'Indian'),
(935,930,3,'Persian'),
(936,930,3,'Keltic'),
(937,930,3,'Roman'),
(938,930,3,'Greek'),
(939,930,3,'Other'),
(940,900,2,'Modern Europe'),
(941,940,3,'Scotland and Ireland'),
(942,940,3,'England'),
(943,940,3,'Germany and Austria'),
(944,940,3,'France'),
(945,940,3,'Italy'),
(946,940,3,'Spain and Portugal'),
(947,940,3,'Russia'),
(948,940,3,'Scandinavia'),
(949,940,3,'Other'),
(950,900,2,'Modern Asia'),
(951,950,3,'China'),
(952,950,3,'Japan'),
(953,950,3,'Arabia'),
(954,950,3,'India'),
(955,950,3,'Persia'),
(956,950,3,'Turkey in Asia'),
(957,950,3,'Siberia'),
(958,950,3,'Afghanistan'),
(959,950,3,'Other'),
(960,900,2,'Modern Africa'),
(096,960,3,'North Africa'),
(962,960,3,'North Africa: Egypt and Nubia'),
(963,960,3,'North Africa: Abyssinia'),
(964,960,3,'North Africa: Morocco'),
(965,960,3,'North Africa: Algeria'),
(966,960,3,'Central Africa'),
(967,960,3,'Central Africa: Guinea'),
(968,960,3,'South Africa'),
(969,960,3,'Other'),
(970,900,2,'Modern North America'),
(971,970,3,'British America'),
(972,970,3,'British America: Canada'),
(973,970,3,'United States and Territories'),
(974,970,3,'United States and Territories: Eastern'),
(975,970,3,'United States and Territories: Middle'),
(976,970,3,'United States and Territories: Southern'),
(977,970,3,'United States and Territories: Western'),
(978,970,3,'Mexico'),
(979,970,3,'Other'),
(980,900,2,'Modern South America'),
(981,980,3,'Brazil'),
(982,980,3,'Argentine Republic'),
(983,980,3,'Chili'),
(984,980,3,'Bolivia'),
(985,980,3,'Peru'),
(986,980,3,'New Granada'),
(987,980,3,'Venezuela'),
(988,980,3,'Guiana'),
(989,980,3,'Other'),
(990,900,2,'Modern Oceanica and Polar Regions'),
(991,990,3,'Malaysia'),
(992,990,3,'Malaysia: Sunda'),
(993,990,3,'Australasia'),
(994,990,3,'Australasia: Australia'),
(995,990,3,'Australasia: New Guinea'),
(996,990,3,'Polynesia'),
(997,990,3,'Isolated Islands'),
(998,990,3,'Arctic Regions'),
(999,990,3,'Antarctic Regions');

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.