In 1975, David Bowie announced the end of his rock and roll career, saying he didn't want to be "just another fucking rock singer". He quickly repudiated this decision in November. Therefore, he scheduled a satellite interview from Los Angeles with Russell Harty, an English talk show host, to announce his big return. He had a new album coming out, "Station to Station", as well as a six-month world tour "blitz", all of which he declared on the interview; it took place November 20, 1975.

Francisco Franco died November 20th, 1975. The Spanish government demanded the use of the satellite in order to announce the end of the Generalissimo's reign. Franco's death was the end of Western Europe's longest-standing military dicatorship, and the transfer of power to King Juan Carlos I, who would bring the country back under democratic rule. David Bowie, naturally, refused to yield the satellite time; after all, he'd paid for the whole block.

This whole debacle made an excellent metaphor for the triumph of personal priorities over politics, which would dominate how most people spent their lives following World War II. Anyway, I'd rather hear about a new album than a relic of fascism, right? Of course.