Stall speed is the airspeed at which a given aircraft stops producing lift and stops responding to aerodynamic control inputs. The stall speed varies inversely with angle of attack in most cases, and is clearly defined for wings with the same airfoil profile from root to wingtip. For aircraft with non-constant airfoil wings, or flexible wings, such as hang gliders, stall speed is more difficult to define.

A hang glider wing stalls first at the root, since that part of the wing has a higher angle of attack than the wingtips. As the glider goes slower and slower, or the nose is raised higher and higher, the stall progresses from the root out to the tips. This is what makes a hang glider stable, or self-correcting in pitch (see hang glider). As more and more of the wing stalls the glider becomes harder to turn, and responds more slowly. This is known as "mush" mode. There is a point at which the aircraft will not respond to any roll (turn) input, and this speed is generally accepted as the stall speed. The range from flying to mush to full stall is 2-4 mph for most hang gliders.

The size of the speed range of "mush" mode determines a very important characteristic of a hang glider or other similar aircarft: the stall break. A narrow mush range equals a sharp stall break.

For a typical hang glider, stall speed is 18-20 mph, minimum sink is about 21-22, trim speed is set to about 22-24, and best glide is somewhere in the 25-30 mph range. On specification tables, stall speed is often symbolized by "Vs", with "V" standing for velocity.