I'm going to take a purely English-centric stance on this, because that's the only language I speak and because E2 is and will probably remain an English-centric Web site.

Why not node these under their simple English meanings?

Let's take KANJI: 1281 SHI SU TSU ko (child), for instance. There are three basic problems with a node title like this:

  1. Using "KANJI:" to prefix each and every one of these node titles is awkward at best and problematic at worst. Don't Namespace Your Nodes.
  2. "1281 SHI SU TSU ko" means absolutely nothing to me. What's the number mean? Why is part of it capitalized and part of it not? I have to read the node itself to get some understanding of the title, which defeats the entire point of giving the node a title in the first place.
  3. "(child)" is the only part of the title that has any meaning for me, and it's badly placed. When I search for "child" using the Search tool with "Ignore Exact" checked, this node does not turn up. The parentheses get in the way.

This writeup should, in my opinion, simply have been placed under "child". Of course there will be other writeups above it, and it means someone has to scroll down further to find this one. But I find writeups like this a nice surprise when I'm wandering through the nodespace, not expecting to come across such information. And, again speaking only for myself, I routinely vote them up when I find them that way.

Pick Titles Carefully is practically a mantra on E2, and I think it should be applied here. Don't pick a long, overly-precise node title if it means no one is going to find it except through Random Node jumps. Pick a short, accurate one and allow people to find this information where they don't expect it.