Lovely Czech beer, and winner of the 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999 gold medals at the Beer World Championships in Chicago.

Available in the UK in most J D Wetherspoon freehouses (so, basically, everywhere there is civilization), it's a nice premium beer with a unique flavour, not 'harsh' to non-beer drinkers like others of its kind including Pilsner Urquell.

Famous before the First World War, the Popovice brewery became state-controlled during communist rule but since gaining independence in 1991 has grown to be the third largest brewing group in the Czech Republic - no small feat given the Czechs consume more beer per capita than any nation in the world.

Like many breweries, you can take a tour and sample it straight from the vats. The Czech Republic is a dream come true for a drinking holiday.

The famous goat logo was given as a gift to the brewery by a French painter as thanks for the hospitality he received during his stay in the late 19th century. This allowed the use of the now-sadly defunct slogan on bottles in the UK: 'Goat your act together'. Whether this is intentional or the best efforts at cross-language marketing is not clear, but it certainly adds a lot of charm. The brewery keeps a real goat as a mascot.

Sources: me, www.beer-kozel.cz