just to expound a bit on the previous node

The official name for canker sores is aphthous ulcers, which means fire sores. Canker sores are tiny, round sores on gums, tongue or the inside of your mouth. They are sometimes known as mouth lesions. They are not to be confused with cold sores, which are an outbreak of herpes and are highly contagious.

Canker sores usually appear one at a time, inside the lips or cheeks, especially where the gums meet the inside edge of the lips. They are usually caused by trauma to the inside of the mouth, certain foods, and stress. They usually disappear within a few days to a week.

While they are there, you can try the following to ease the pain and speed the healing

If canker sores are chronic, consider switching toothpastes. Several sites have incriminated sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), a component of almost every toothpaste, as a potential cause. Halting use of SLS based toothpastes may speed the healing of pre-existing sores.

Several reports have also suggested that iron and Vitamin B deficiency may contribute to frequent outbreaks of sores. According to MotherNature.Com, 300mg B1, 20mg B2, and 150mg B6 can provide a degree of relief. Some people have responded well to lactobacillus acidophilus (what people who are lactos intolerant take to aid in the digestion of milk products).

Other herbs and homeopathic remedies that may help (which I have not tried myself) are: chamomile, aloe vera, myrrh, Echinacea, licorice, arsenicum album, borax, calcarea carbonica, hepar sulphuris calcereum, mercurius solubilis, natrum muriaticum, nux vomica, and sulphur. Please, Oh Please, check out proper method of administration and dosage before attempting one of the above listed self-treatments. Some are potentially dangerous.