The sick thing about all of this is that BSE and CJD have been known about since the mid 1940s.

A fairly comprehensive book on this topic, "Deadly Feasts" by Richard Rhodes was published maybe three years ago.

If documents the adventures of a couple English doctors who were doing research amoung some of the cannibals in New Guinea.

Many of the women developed a strange nuerological disorder, the symptoms of which are today known in the medical community as CJD, BSE, etc.

It turns out that amoung these cannibals, the highest honor one could bestow upon his or her family was to ask them to consume ones body after death.

These cultures were matriarcal, typically being led by the oldest (and probably wisest) woman alive.

To her went the highest of all honors - consuming the brain of the deceased. She could, at will, extend this honor by allowing other woman from her clan to eat some of this tissue as well.

The fact that they typically didn't consume their dead until they had been buried for several weeks didn't help things much either, I suspect.

The two doctors suspected the involvement of a new agent, something which took decades and many advances in technology to isolate, but which led to a nobel prize in medicine won by Dr Stanley Prusiner in (IIRC)), 1998.

The previously unknown agent was named a prion, and is likened in the book to a slow-speed virus, one which takes twenty or so years to activate.

Further research has determined that prions are crystals, which disrupt some fundamental biological activity in the brain, causing the body to conume it.

This self-consumption leads to the presence of holes in the brain tissue, hence the use of the term spongiform encephalopathy.

The book is a good read and quite well written.

So well written that I gave up meat shortly after finshing it.

And why did I call this whole thing sick?

The practice of feeding dead animals to other animals is nothing new; it's been done for centuries.

What is new, however, is how these body parts are disinfected.

The recent outbreaks of this disease were caused solely by financial considerations. The meat industry changed how they disinfect tissue to a cheaper process involving heat instead of the previously used chemicals.

Apparently prions are NOT destroyed by the heat, and then can infect animals up the food chain.

That includes humans, by the way.