More Gandhi quotes on satyagraha:

  • 'The ideal of satyagraha is not meant for the select few- the saint and the seer only; it is meant for all.'
  • 'To lay down one's life for what one considers to be right is the very core of satyagraha.'
  • 'The sword of the satyagrahi is love, and the unshakable firmness that comes from it.'
  • 'The training of satyagraha is meant for all, irrespective of age or sex. The more important part of the training here is mental, not physical. There can be no compulsion in mental training.'
  • 'Satyagraha is always superior to armed resistance. This can only be effectively proved by demonstration, not by argument... Satyagraha can never be used to defend a wrong cause.'
  • 'Satyagraha is a process of educating public opinion such that it covers all the elements of society and in the end makes itself irresistible.'
  • 'The art of dying for satyagraha consists in facing death cheerfully in the performance of one's duty.'
  • 'A satyagrahi may never run away from danger, irrespective of whether he is alone or in the company of many. He will have fully performed his duty if he dies fighting.'
  • 'The immovable force of satyagraha- suffering without retaliation.'
  • 'Non-cooperation with evil is a sacred duty.'
  • 'In the dictionary of satyagraha there is no enemy.'



source: Gandhi on Non-Violence, ed. Thomas Merton, 1965.