Colibrí is the Spanish and the Portuguese word for hummingbird.
Colibri is also the Latin name (no accent mark required for the Latin) for a genus of hummingbirds named in 1824 by German biologist Johann Baptist Ritter von Spix.
The common name for this genus is the violetears (sometimes hyphenated, thus: violet-ears)
Violetears species include:
- Colibri thalassinus (Mexican violetear)
- Colibri cyanotus (Lesser violetear)
- Colibri coruscans (Sparkling violetear)
- Colibri serrirostris (White-vented violetear)
- Colibri delphinae (Brown violetear)
Note: Webster 1913 shows the genus of Violet-ear as Petasophora. This is probably a case of common names being applied to more than one species. I'm not an ornithologist, but I was unable to find any modern references to the genus Petasophora.