Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Coleco
Model#: 2658
Atari Rarity Guide: 9 Extremely Rare

Control the Berenstain Bears in this utter piece of "interactive" crap for the Atari 2600. The game is an extremely repetitive "storytelling" game for children. I am fairly sure that the only child who ever enjoyed this game was the smiling little boy on the back of the box. This game was just that bad.

Berenstain Bears was an experiment in new gaming technology (the new technology was called the KidVid controller). It had not only a cartridge, but also 3 audio cassettes and a tape player. The games action is more focused around the tape player than anything else (insert tape 2, turn tape over, etc etc etc).

The tapes did not just add nifty sounds to the games. They were a required element. They actually connected to the cartridge via a cable. The game will not play without them.

This game was a huge failure for Coleco. It sold very poorly. They only made one other KidVid game and that was Smurfs Save the Day. Berenstain Bears did not actually come with the Kidvid controller, so you had to have bought the Smurfs game first, which did come packed with the controller. This is the main reason that this game was such a bomb.

I cannot truly recommend this game to anyone. Its only merit is in its collector value.

This game is worth around $100 USD. This game complete with tapes and a KidVid controller is worth about $300. An unopened case of this game was found a few years ago, which drove its previously higher price down a bit.