Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Amiga
Model Number: 3125
Rarity: P Prototype
Year of Release: 1983
Programmer: Uncredited

Whoa dude, grab your board and ride the waves. Its Surf's Up for the Atari 2600.

This game was still being programmed when Amiga decided to abandon the Atari market. Which is a shame, because it looks like it could have been their best title by far. The game has graphics far superior to most 2600 games (superior to some 7800 games for that matter). You control the action from a viewpoint out in the water, looking towards the shore. You can move your board (the surfer seems to be missing, but you can see where his feet should be), around in the lower half of the screen. The game seems to award points randomly, this is probably due to tricks being done that haven't had their graphics implemented yet. Pressing straight up for about a second and a half cause the whole screen to wash over with blue and white snow. Then it goes back to the surfboard in the water again. This had the makings of a great game. Too bad they never finished it.

Surf's Up was designed for a special stand-on controller called the "Joyboard". It is similar in design to the Skateboard that Sega uses on the much more modern game Top Skater.

Collectors Information

This game is a prototype, which makes it nearly impossible to find. If you are purchasing a copy of this, you should have an expert examine it to see if it is authentic (fake prototypes are quite easy to make). There are so few copies of this game that I cannot set a value for it.