I didn't discover FrameMaker until I came to work at Adobe. I started using it because most of the developers and assorted hangers-on in my group use it for their documentation. I use it one Solaris and Windows NT. The interface convention described by _Yup is for the Solaris variant; the Windows NT variant follows Windows conventions vis-a-vis hot keys and the like, rather than the distinctly vi-like conventions of the Solaris variant.

Frankly, it's far and away the best word processor I have ever used. _Yup is right that it's not the best thing for a short little flyer or other similar 4-color glossy cat box liner, but I don't create stuff like that. It's fantastic for virtually everything else with text and pictures on paper short of laying-out a full-on book or magazine for publication; for that you use something like InDesign (also by Adobe -- how many time can I shill for my employer in one write-up?), which imports FrameMaker content pretty smoothly. The only real beef I have with it is that its raw save-as-html feature is not so hot -- I generally kick things over into GoLive if I want to put it on the web.

Let's see... I just shilled for three of Adobe's products, including two of its biggest... should I charge the marketing department for that?