INFO/BACKGROUND:

2C-T-2 (AKA 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-ethylthiophenethylamine, C12H19N02S) is a hallucinogenic drug in the phenethylamine class, first synthesized by Alexander Shulgin.

2C-T-2 is very closely related to 2C-T-7, which gained popularity and notoriety as a "smart drug" in Europe, and which until recently was in rotation at raves and parties in North America, where it was marketed as a kind of hallucinogenic "upper".

While 2C-T-7 is as of August 2002 on route to become a Schedule 1 Controlled Substance in the U.S.A. due to a very high profile article in Rolling Stone and a disturbing track record of very bad reactions from users, 2C-T-2 is still unscheduled and uncontrolled. However, the Federal Analog Act, which prohibits sale of drugs analogous to existing illegal drugs, does apply (though it's worth noting that very few cases have ever been persued under this act). 2C-T-2 is currently scheduled in Germany, Sweden, and the Netherlands.

The difference between 2C-T-7 and 2C-T-2 is that 2C-T-2 seems to be "safer" than 2C-T-7 both in its shorter duration and seemingly less severe effects, as 2C-T-7 has recently has been linked to at least two deaths due to recklessly large doses ingested via insufflation (snorting). The chemical company producing 2C-T-7 stopped its production following these deaths, and 2C-T-2 has stepped into the limelight due to its similar effects.

EFFECTS:

2C-T-2's effects last approximately 6-8 hours, total. The drug is usually taken orally, but some people choose to snort it so that the effects will take hold quickly. Note: THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED Complications with "research chemicals" such as 2C-T-2 arise when people are irresponsible and when they don't know enough about what they're taking. Extensive experience from users of 2C-T-2 has shown that the drug seems to be safe when dosed and used properly and in moderation.

Light effects: 0-15 mg
Common effects: 15-30 mg
Strong effects: 30-50 mg

As with other hallucinogens, 2C-T-2 creates a change in mindset as well as visual hallucinations. There seems to be some debate as to whether or not 2C-T-2 produces "open eye visuals" like 2C-T-7 has been reported to. While there are those who claim 2C-T-2 is not a "visual" drug like 2C-T-7, many claim that it is just as visual, and, moreover, that the visuals are more manageable, unlike the "psychedelic soup" overload that many 2C-T-7 users report.

2C-T-2 has also been reported to produce extremely lucid and fantastic closed eye visuals, to the point of actually feeling physically in the vision.
The most common negative effect is similar to 2C-T-7 - stomach discomfort and likely nausea. This effect tends to vary in severity from user to user.

DISCLAIMER:

Just because 2C-T-2 is unscheduled and uncontrolled does not mean that it can be taken willy-nilly. Extensive education should be a requirement before even considering experimenting with 2C-T-2, or any research chemical for that matter. This is not because the user is in any danger if the drug is taken properly, but because the pharmacology of 2C-T-2 and similar drugs is incredibly complex, and contraindications with other drugs have yet to be completely deciphered. www.lycaeum.org and www.erowid.org should be required web sites to visit if someone is interested in these particular compounds.