Sad but true, folks.

I'm trying to speak from personal experience here: It's easy to pretend you know lots about Buddhism. All you have to do is ask lots of questions, questions with very hard answers. Catch phrases abound - "empty yourself" - "free your mind from desire" - "compassion, not morals." The sad part is, this doesn't help. It's only imitation, only pretending to be the next Lao-Tse, the next Chang-tzu, or whoever.

Please don't think I'm discouraging anyone. I love Zen, Taoism, the whole works. And if you're pursuing, something like that, enlightenment or what-have you, go for it. There are some amazing things out there to learn (or perhaps, un-learn). Meditation is a wonderful thing to be doing, and though I've given it up (bad thing), I implore everyone to try it.

The point I want to make here is, enlightenment ain't easy. It's not something that you will attain going about Buddhism in a casual fasion (weekly meditation sessions are not going to cut it). As someone put it, it's the desire to become enlightened that prevents you from attaining it. From what little I do understand (remember, I make no claims at all to know lots of stuff about this), it's not the Zen for enlightenment's sake, it's Zen for Zen's sake.

I'm sorry if I seem a little discouraging here. I'm not trying to, but I feel than many people are deluding themselves into believing that simply reading "Zen for Dummies" they will attain superhero powers and defend the universe from evil (too much anime...)