It's the start of term, and today was supposed to be my first day of proper work. After all, I've had... ooh, let's call it five months' holiday, and it's my third year and I have to work hard if I want to stay on for a fourth.

I had a plan. I was going to eat my dinner, then work until midnight. Finish at least one example sheet. Mice and men, eh? My room is on the third floor this year, and I don't know if it's because of the altitude or the direction my window faces but it seems like I can pick up every emergency vehicle in Cambridge from where I live. I mean, I always wondered how it was that folks like Batman and Spider-Man were always at the scene of the crime at the same time as the cops, or even earlier, and now I know: they hang out in high places like the terrace outside my window, and then follow the sirens. Today in particular has been so astoundingly bad that it makes me think that the gods don't want me to do any work. I dunno if there's been like a major car accident or a shooting or something but they've been wailing outside since dusk. I was completely unable to concentrate on my work all evening, and it's now 2:30am and they're still going. I can't even get to sleep. This is not to mention the drunken idiots who, since closing time, have been persisting in wandering around in the court below my window, making lots of noise. Don't they have work tomorrow?

I don't know what the hell's going on. I'll check the news websites tomorrow or something.

3:00am edit: One of them is now drunkenly attempting to climb onto my terrace. He's been trying to for the last twenty minutes. Friggin' idiots.