Previously called Southwest Africa, it was ruled by the same government as South Africa. It is now a young constitutional democracy and the current president is Sam Nujoma. Digging up news on Namibia reveals problems with crime and constitutional violations, but this is to be expected in a young country trying desperately to shrug off apartheid.

The capital city is centrally located Windhoek (pronounced kind of like 'vinthock') and it contains a very large percentage of the population. Namibia's official language is Afrikaans, a post-Beor war variant of Dutch, although one can get by in the country with only English or German (or Dutch, I'd assume, but I had little contact with anyone who spoke Dutch).

Namibia has a remarkably varied ecosystem, ranging from grassy savannah, to both sand and gravel deserts, with a beautiful coastline on the west side where the Atlantic Ocean is. Namibia is home to most of the world's African Elephants, as a deficiency of some mineral in the soil makes their tusks brittle and useless to poachers. Namibia also boasts huge herds of zebra and several varieties of antelope, including but not limited to springbok, gemsbok, and the elusive dikdik.

Apparently one or more episodes of the sci-fi series Lexx was filmed on location in Namibia. Now there's some useless trivia.