"Hello", I say from behind the store counter. The woman looks up at me and offers an ephemeral polite smile. No sooner than it had formed, her expression falls back into gloom. It is an apathetic gloom, which assumes the worst of my intentions. But really, I do enjoy helping people. Perhaps she doesn't believe it.

Now and again, humbugs like the woman come into the store. I can not tell if she enjoys coming into the store, or does so out of necessity. She is the kind that does not believe in being taught. Here for her milk, don't spare a word. It's not worth it. I guess that's what makes us a business.

There must be some way of getting through her countenance. Maybe I am not being patient enough. I once read a Buddhist proverb, which went something like, "water will most effectively and beautifully wear rocks, but only over a thousand years of persistence". That is true, but most people don't live a thousand years.

I am also afraid of deep water, because I do not know how to swim. Maybe I can be like a shallow stream though, where frogs and crickets live. Then I would not have to worry about swimming, only maintaining the tranquility of my little waterfalls.

But maybe the woman does not have time for little waterfalls. She must be very busy.