As well as being the capital of a now-defunct empire; Persepolis is also the name of a graphic memoir written and drawn by Marjane Satrapi. I picked it up the other day, and was lucky enough to find a single-volume copy (usually, the story is available in two parts). Persepolis follows the author's experience growing up during the Iranian Revolution and Iran-Iraq war. Being largely oblivious to these historical events, reading Persepolis was extremely enlightening.

Other than a recollection of historical events, Persepolis is a beautifully crafted coming of age story with which evoke the angst-filled teen spirit in any reader. De-virginitising, subsequent heartbreak, drug experimentation, anarchy, conformity into 'rebellious' stereotypes and Someone please kill me are all repeating themes. These themes (with which I am sure the majority of e2 users are familiar with) are often mixed with feelings of strong senses of nationalism, martyrdom, and comradeship.

Placed in the mist of a dirty war and in the context of a child's memories, the humanity of Persepolis quickly will work its way into your subconscious and lay there for fortnights to come.


Other recommended graphic novels: Maus I and II by Art Spiegelman, and Palestine by Joe Sacco